Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:03 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times

Advertisements

It doesn't take much for me to lose faith in modern medicine. Anyone have any off the (medical) chart to ease breathing for COPD, asthma or bronchitis sufferers? And yes, I am referring to the cure that involves rubbing a gong backwards or holding a bamboo shoot over your head while counting backward from 3.

Humor me. I have lost almost all faith in medical science. Go ahead, lay it on me! What won't the doctors tell me? What don't the pharmaceutical giants want people like me to know about? Is it all about sleeping with honeysuckle petals in my socks?

I can take it, honest. What's the word on the street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 03:06 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
It doesn't take much for me to lose faith in modern medicine. Anyone have any off the (medical) chart to ease breathing for COPD, asthma or bronchitis sufferers? And yes, I am referring to the cure that involves rubbing a gong backwards or holding a bamboo shoot over your head while counting backward from 3.

Humor me. I have lost almost all faith in medical science. Go ahead, lay it on me! What won't the doctors tell me? What don't the pharmaceutical giants want people like me to know about? Is it all about sleeping with honeysuckle petals in my socks?

Bronchitis??? That is just an infection must likely by a viral infection. Nothing to do with asthma or COPD.
There is no cure for asthma or COPD.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Bronchitis??? That is just an infection must likely by a viral infection. Nothing to do with asthma or COPD.
There is no cure for asthma or COPD.
I should have clarified - bronchitis often visits me and was never meant to indicate anything else. I am not looking for a cure cure - just an old wive's tale that helps ease symptoms - the way a raw egg or inside of a banana peel will soothe the pain of a sunburn.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:40 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,050 times
Quote:

After moving from the East Coast to Colorado five years ago, I experienced shortness of breath continually and my first six months here I was hospitalized with pneumonia twice, bronchitis twice and whooping cough in between. After my first hospitilization, my doctor said I had asthma and for four years I was on Advair. I also had numerous bouts of bronchitis.

I went to National Jewish in Denver, the nation's number one respiratory hospital and they gave me a methocholine challenge, which is pretty much the definitive test for determining if you have asthma. Guess what? I didn't.

I was told that I had acid reflux which causes the symptoms of asthma. So I started taking medicine for GERD and stopped taking Advair. From that day onward I felt fine again.

Not saying that you don't have asthma, but you should check out the acid reflux potential issue.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:42 PM

I also have acid reflux. The asthma has been with me all my life (nearly 60 years and the COPD isw relatively new.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:39 AM

22 posts, read 16,052 times
Why don't you try using ayurvedic medications. The effect of the medication is indeed slow by it is effected and free from side effects. Or in case you have already tried Ayurvedic medicines you should look out for some home remedies may be that can help you deal with your symptoms of asthma, COPD & Bronchitis.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:34 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
This thread is seven years old ...

Old 06-19-2016, 09:05 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This thread is seven years old ...

That is easily discerned but the thread can still be informative to others. We probably are not addressing the OP anymore though, lol.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:32 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
I also have acid reflux. The asthma has been with me all my life (nearly 60 years and the COPD isw relatively new.
I've been taking DGL for years to SAVE my stomach. I had an ulcer back in the 80's from pharma drug. Since I take ibuprofen, my stomach is pretty good...No reflux, gerd, heartburn etc. and protection.

Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL): Gut Benefits and Beyond

On your asthma, OPC's COULD really help you. OPC's are grape seed extract, Pycnogenol, Resveratrol.

Talking to my friend yesterday who is taking grape seed ex and has asthma, she says it's more like 10 yrs and not 7 yrs that I thought she was taking it. She still takes med(s) but LESS. And much less wheezing.

What I noted with my friend and we play bridge once a month and she's a fairly new bridge player but is advancing very well, she will wheeze a little more with stress, bridge can be stressful but it's a great mind/social card game. She also says Ti Chi helps her asthma. She's full of energy otherwise.

One more to think about:

http://omtimes.com/2012/10/herbs-and...pd-and-asthma/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-19-2016 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 01:45 AM

22 posts, read 16,052 times
Some diseases require a proper conduct towards its cure and you certainly know that it will cure. However in case of some illnesses the nature is variable. This means that the illness is of different nature in different people. And owing to this variable nature, there is no direct remedy for it; rather there are techniques to make the suffering lower or pass away eventually, but not immediately. Thereby asthma treatment is a process that doesn’t happen overnight; instead it may never get completely cured but it will teach you how to cope with it having no health troubles at all.

COPD tends to severely affect the lungs. During COPD, the airways of the lungs may be narrowed and inflamed making them collapse every time the patient exhales. Further, the lungs may even clog up with mucous. As a result of this, the amount of air that may reach the lungs is reduced. Due to the strong contraction of the muscles, a patient may experience excessive coughing that in a way is necessary to clear out the mucus found in the lungs and throw it up towards the throat to push it out of the mouth with cough. Besides, COPD may also hinder the manner in which the blood exchanges CO2 with oxygen. More than the COPD treatments it is necessary to educate yourself about the causes of the disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine