Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times

Advertisements

Back in May '08 I posted the following video ( #12 ) in regard to oil pulling along with a brief comment. I kept up a daily practice for about 6 months and continued to experience the benefits noted in that post. I gave it up when I had to start work earlier in the day, because I simply didn't want to spend the 20 minutes it required. It is a beneficial practice, albiet the results were rather subtle for me. Back then, I introduced oil pulling to several friends and they are still doing it on a daily basis 4 and half years later. It has become an integral part of their morning ritual.

I got the impression that those who say it is quackery or nonsense have never even done it. They are simply making their pronouncements based on prejudice against anything they are unable to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The "article" reads as though it were written by a 5th grader doing a report for science class. I'm also not seeing how oil pulling can possibly "cure totally" excema. If I have a rash on my ankle, how in the name of all that's holy, will sucking sesame oil between my teeth, fix that?

What confuses me even more, is how anyone could be so profoundly naive and gullible to believe this tripe.
They believe even crazier things the alt meds come up with. Most of these people have zero knowledge of how the body works and the people who believe their gibberish have even less. I think the most outrageous was Hulda Clarks cure for all cancers called the Magic Zapper she sold online. Needless to say, she died of cancer.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I got the impression that those who say it is quackery or nonsense have never even done it. They are simply making their pronouncements based on prejudice against anything they are unable to understand.
It is quackery. The claims made for it are outrageous.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:57 AM

6,932 posts, read 6,866,775 times
I just love it when people say something is quackery.

It often, not always, means they are fixed in their scientific beliefs and anything not able to be proved cannot possibly be any use to anyone.

EVEN IF what they are saying is quackery, there is still a large chance that it will do some people some good due to the placebo effect - which can be up around the 30%+ effective mark.

To me it just smacks of them being closed minded and not looking at history. A history where many good people have been hounded by the medical establishment after finding cures which were not approved by orthodox medicine. Now, since the Gt Ormond St homeopathic hospital in London closed in 2010, even homeopathy has been ousted from orthodox medicine. (although I believe there is still a small following) The name and focus of this great hospital has been changed forever and to our detriment.

I think the future of medicine is not in cutting up to examine what we do not understand but it is the development of more non-invasive measuring tools which recognise our energetic make up. Yes, medicine as we know it has benefited many people, but I cannot help thinking that we should understand the more etherial parts of our anatomy as the Chinese have been doing with acupuncture for many centuries.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:11 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

It often, not always, means they are fixed in their scientific beliefs and anything not able to be proved cannot possibly be any use to anyone.

EVEN IF what they are saying is quackery, there is still a large chance that it will do some people some good due to the placebo effect - which can be up around the 30%+ effective mark.

To me it just smacks of them being closed minded and not looking at history. A history where many good people have been hounded by the medical establishment after finding cures which were not approved by orthodox medicine. Now, since the Gt Ormond St homeopathic hospital in London closed in 2010, even homeopathy has been ousted from orthodox medicine. (although I believe there is still a small following) The name and focus of this great hospital has been changed forever and to our detriment.

I think the future of medicine is not in cutting up to examine what we do not understand but it is the development of more non-invasive measuring tools which recognise our energetic make up. Yes, medicine as we know it has benefited many people, but I cannot help thinking that we should understand the more etherial parts of our anatomy as the Chinese have been doing with acupuncture for many centuries.
Homeopathy SHOULD be ousted from orthodox medicine because it is NONSENSE.

I always love when defenders of "quackery" use the "closed minded argument". As in, if someone has a better than average understanding of human anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology they must be "close minded" if they don't believe "gamma rays" can cure nasal polyps, or whatever nonsense is being touted and sold over the internet these days.

It isn't "close minded" to understand enough about science to realize there is no way in heck "oil pulling" could possibly do even a quarter of what its proponents think it can do. It is even more laughable once one reads the pseudo scientific gobbldey **** that is used to make it all sound "plausible"

Personally I found those that use the "close minded" argument to be by and large scientifically illiterate and gullible beyond belief. As for the "placebo effect"..... it doesn't cure cancer, HIV, nail fungus or many other conditions that hucksters want you to believe they have cured with various doses of snake oil du jour.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
=^..^= wrote: It is quackery. The claims made for it are outrageous.

Thank you! Your opinion has been noted. Please tell us how long you practiced oil pulling, so that we know how much weight to assign to your pronouncement. I practiced oil pulling on a daily basis for several months and found it to be quite helpful.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:

Thank you! Your opinion has been noted. Please tell us how long you practiced oil pulling, so that we know how much weight to assign to your pronouncement. I practiced oil pulling on a daily basis for several months and found it to be quite helpful.
For what?

Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

Then sell them sugar pills. Of course there are some alt meds that work, but most claims I've seen online since 1995, when I got my first PC, are unsubstantiated nonsense. Testaminials are worthless and anyone who takes them seriously is gullible beyond belief.

Quote:
To me it just smacks of them being closed minded and not looking at history. A history where many good people have been hounded by the medical establishment after finding cures which were not approved by orthodox medicine.
This is the lament of all alt med true believers. Where is the proof these people had cures and what are the names of these people who were hounded by the medical establishment? Why don't any of you produce the names of these people, the cure that they were hounded about, where they lived, the University where their research was done etc. instead of just repeating each other?

Quote:
Now, since the Gt Ormond St homeopathic hospital in London closed in 2010, even homeopathy has been ousted from orthodox medicine. (although I believe there is still a small following) The name and focus of this great hospital has been changed forever and to our detriment.
Which proves they weren't curing anyone of disease. If they were, they would have stayed open. How about giving us the reason they closed.

Quote:
That starts going off into the supernatural and religion.........

Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:

Quite helpful at WHAT? Anyone who knows anything about the physiology of the human body understands how worthless this activity is.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
For what?
The "placebo effect."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine