Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,492 times

Advertisements

I would be moving to A2 in late June. I tried looking on the web for good info about where to live in A2 but could not find any. I would be working at UofM Hospitals and was wondering if anybody could tell me -where to most of the residents / fellows / post docs live?, what are some of the preferred apartment complexes where people live (I dont mind driving 20-30 min to get to work, prefer spacious and quiet apartments preferable near a biking or walking trail), Is it getting too late to look for apartments?

I did try Northwood Housing but they told me they only lease to postdocs or residents who are married . I have no idea about the nicer places to live in Ann Arbor, commute, parking and getting to work from parking place and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 08:05 AM

12 posts, read 24,718 times
Are you looking to live by yourself or with others? If you're okay with living with others, I would recommend looking in the apartment complexes near the hospital. I know several of my friends have sublet places in that area, but parking may be an issue.

Additionally, what shift are you working? You can buy a blue parking pass, but my understanding is that parking can still be an issue at the hospital during the day. My friend that works there lives way south of campus and works the night shift so she has no issue. If you are planning on working the day shift, you probably want to live closer so you don't have to deal with parking or live near a bus stop so you can take the bus in to work.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the info golden09. I would be living by myself. I would mostly be working during the day from 6-6 but may need to come in at anytime. I would be visiting Ann Arbor soon to take a look at few apartments. Do you have any suggestions regarding some of the apartment complexes to look into. As, I mentioned I dont mind driving as long as the apartment is good. Thanks

Old 03-23-2014, 11:17 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times
What is your situation? Are you a new resident or grad student in your mid to late 20's, or are you a new radiology tech starting a new job in your 50's? Are you ok with living near students, or do you want to be as far away from students as possible? What do you want to spend on rent? You might get more info if you post a few more specifics.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 AM

12 posts, read 24,718 times
I'm not sure if you're looking to live further away or closer, but my one friend that works at the hospital used to live in Cambridge Club Apartments (Home - Cambridge Club Apartment Homes of Ann Arbor). It's further away but in a nice area.

You could also check out the area around Eisenhower Dr. and State St. There are some nice complexes around there.

If you want closer to the hospital, there are some complexes in the area, but they aren't as nice. I would recommend checking out the U-M Off Campus Housing and sublet for the summer. https://offcampushousing.umich.edu/

Old 03-27-2014, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I am a fellow in my mid 30's and would prefer a quiet neighborhood and as we spend very less time at home, am willing to spend anything below max $1200 per month, utilities included.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:37 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,152 times
If you like the area around Northwood housing, look at Parc Pointe apartments, right across the street (Plymouth). I believe those apartments would still be in your price range, but I lived there years ago.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:04 PM

510 posts, read 716,456 times
You might want to look along the bus routes (Ann Arbor Transportation Authority) too. The bus is quite reliable and you can negate the need for a car at least for coming to work. Parking is not only expensive, it is in short supply. (if you have to be there at 6 AM you might be set)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor