Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2021, 03:07 PM

15 posts, read 13,248 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am a graduate of U Mich - Ann Arbor. We are now New Jersey residents for many years and my kid will be finishing high school in a few years. If he decides to go to U Mich, is he subject to out-of-state tuition? Since I am an alumnus and my parents are still in Ann Arbor, would there be any way to have my kid as in-state?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 04:07 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times
If your son wants to go to U-M at state rates, I believe he would have to relocate to your parent's home and finish HS there, at least for 1 year to establish residency. Your alumni status is irrelevant unless your son was seeking a U-M legacy scholarship that converts out-of-state students to in-state for tuition rates purposes. I know these scholarships exist.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:20 AM

724 posts, read 402,958 times
No. Alum status has nothing to do with in-state tuition. Also Universities make it harder to claim in-state tuition with every passing year because it is a cash cow for the university/state. They double the amount of income they receive.

Even if your parents live in Ann Arbor, your son would not qualify. It is based on his address, where he was living. And many states now require you to show that you have been a permanent resident for a substantial period of continuous time for you to be considered a "resident" for in-state tuition purposes. For example, you are currently a Michigan resident and have been a Michigan resident for the last 5 years (not sure if this is Michigan's requirement, but many states now have a requirement like this to be able to claim "in-state").

Old 02-16-2021, 06:27 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Nothing to add to the above but if my memory serves me several years ago (maybe a decade or two or three) the Board of Regents had to put a cap on out of state numbers because the University was taking way too many to get that tuition bump. Fully qualified Michigan kids were getting rejected in favor of kids from other states solely based on tuition rates.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:54 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Fully qualified Michigan kids were getting rejected in favor of kids from other states solely based on tuition rates.
This is a common game in academic world.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:34 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
This is a common game in academic world.
Oh I fully understand. My only point was it got far enough out of hand at UM that the Board of Regents took action.
Back in 2004 my youngest daughter applied to and was accepted at University of Kentucky and I'm quite certain she bumped a Kentucky kid with better credentials because she was paying out of state rates. We aren't talking a 4.0 and a 1599 on the SAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor