Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 01:13 PM

18,913 posts, read 8,547,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Williams AZ, doesn't get enough credit. It is the gateway to the Grand Canyon!!

About the last town in the US to be bypassed by the interstate, and the only town on Earth I have had repeated negative encounters.

I like their T-shirt: 'I'm from Williams, what's your problem?'
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 01:25 PM

518 posts, read 874,574 times
Can't speak for the town but hey at least it's got a nice name. "Winslow"... it sounds like a pleasant All-American white picket fence kinda place

Old 11-09-2021, 07:41 AM

18 posts, read 18,590 times
In the years since the original 2012 post, Payson has become a mini-Phoenix in the mountains. The last time I went thru there in 2016 it was bumper to bumper everywhere. That's what happens when unchecked growth is allowed to happen. When I left Arizona in 1990, Payson still had the small town feel and traffic was light. Never did I imagine what it's become now.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:28 AM

51,126 posts, read 24,609,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Holbrook is a smaller version of Winslow IMO. Have to put Holbrook at numero uno. Joseph City and the AZ strip are the worst but I don't acknowledge those places as part of AZ.
BUT, Holbrook is a long ways from anything substantial.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:33 AM

2,927 posts, read 3,112,905 times
Winslow deplorable? All of Arizona is a terribleâ„¢ place!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...not-think.html

Old 11-09-2021, 11:43 AM

7,836 posts, read 4,591,107 times
Quote:
Maybe the OP is an Eagles fan and assumed if Glenn Frey thought enough of the town to include it in his lyrics, it's got to be a happening place.
Actually Jackson Browne wrote the lyrics.

Old 11-09-2021, 01:09 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,659,175 times
Quote:
Maybe the OP is an Eagles fan and assumed if Glenn Frey thought enough of the town to include it in his lyrics, it's got to be a happening place.
The original lyrics actually referred to "standin' on a corner in Flagstaff Arizona" but the word Flagstaff didn't roll off the tongue very well so both Henley and Frey decided it sounded much smoother and lyrical with "Winslow".

Old 11-09-2021, 08:31 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,319,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss73ford View Post
In the years since the original 2012 post, Payson has become a mini-Phoenix in the mountains. The last time I went thru there in 2016 it was bumper to bumper everywhere. That's what happens when unchecked growth is allowed to happen. When I left Arizona in 1990, Payson still had the small town feel and traffic was light. Never did I imagine what it's become now.
Payson is still a small town (16,000), and hasn't grown very much. It does get a lot of traffic because highway 87 runs right through town, and there aren't very many side streets to detour on. The traffic is really bad on summer holiday weekends, mainly because of all the "city folks" and "flat landers" who pass through Payson on their way to the Rim or White Mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
In all seriousness, Winslow is pretty much a dump like the OP stated. The town has over 20% of the population living below the poverty line, which is really not too surprising considering the demographics. 25% of the population consists of a certain ethnic group which is known for high rates of poverty, mooching off the government, alcoholism, and living in squalor conditions.

Aside from that, it's on a high plain with few trees, so the scenery is pretty drab. It's also in a location which experiences hot summer temperatures, winters that are frequently below freezing, low average yearly precipitation (equivalent to many lower desert locations), and very windy conditions compared to other parts of AZ. I've jokingly said for a long time that the town should be called WindsHigh instead of WindsLow!

Last edited by Valley Native; 11-09-2021 at 08:47 PM..

Old 11-10-2021, 05:22 AM

2,927 posts, read 3,112,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Payson is still a small town (16,000), and hasn't grown very much. It does get a lot of traffic because highway 87 runs right through town, and there aren't very many side streets to detour on. The traffic is really bad on summer holiday weekends, mainly because of all the "city folks" and "flat landers" who pass through Payson on their way to the Rim or White Mountains.
And they all can keep going that way, and please please guide all to go that way to the mountain. Makes the drive through the canyon even that much more enjoyable.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:50 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,938,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...not-think.html

looks like they closed your signature thread..unreal..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona