Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 02:14 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,053,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Winslow is a poor Native American, Hispanic town, like a few dozen others in AZ, and especially NM. I recall getting the same feeling in Thoreau and Las Vegas, NM. When I stayed in Las Vegas, I learned the people were exceptionally warm and friendly. It is not a high energy go go go anglo culture, and I suspect most of the residents with ambition move out for opportunities, so you get a passive, fatalistic, but family-oriented culture left behind. I saw the same thing in the far west of Ireland. Old towns forgotten by time, where they really don't care if you are impressed our not. They were here before you, and they will be here when you are gone.

I do sympathize with the thing about gangs. Young boys in these poorer towns always seem to get sucked into that trap.
This!

So many people want to judge a community on surface-level metrics that lack introspection and nuance.

A lot of people (mainly Anglos) move to these Rez border towns and are horrified about conditions while not taking into account the local history, the multigenerational effects of racism on indigenous peoples, and the incongruency of Anglo Protestant/Individualist/capitalist culture with Indigenous tribal/communal culture.

You cannot (and shouldn't) use the same metric to judge Winslow, Holbrook, Tuba City or Gallup, as you use to judge Williams, Flagstaff, Prescott, Sedona or Lake Havasu City.

Very different histories and people. Very different responses to colonization and cultural appropriation. Colonization and erasure are, to this day, ongoing issues on the Navajo and Hopi reservations, as Mormon and Baptist missionaries are relentless in their efforts to try to convert tribal members. Additionally, the tribes are also under constant cultural assault by real estate interests.

When alcohol was introduced, it coincided with poverty and a way of life that was forced upon these people. It became a coping mechanism.

I saw where one poster stated that they didn't view this region as "part of Arizona"

Funny how that works, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 02:33 PM

6,103 posts, read 3,338,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
This!

So many people want to judge a community on surface-level metrics that lack introspection and nuance.

A lot of people (mainly Anglos) move to these Rez border towns and are horrified about conditions while not taking into account the local history, the multigenerational effects of racism on indigenous peoples, and the incongruency of Anglo Protestant/Individualist/capitalist culture with Indigenous tribal/communal culture.

You cannot (and shouldn't) use the same metric to judge Winslow, Holbrook, Tuba City or Gallup, as you use to judge Williams, Flagstaff, Prescott, Sedona or Lake Havasu City.

Very different histories and people. Very different responses to colonization and cultural appropriation. Colonization and erasure are, to this day, ongoing issues on the Navajo and Hopi reservations, as Mormon and Baptist missionaries are relentless in their efforts to try to convert tribal members. Additionally, the tribes are also under constant cultural assault by real estate interests.

When alcohol was introduced, it coincided with poverty and a way of life that was forced upon these people. It became a coping mechanism.

I saw where one poster stated that they didn't view this region as "part of Arizona"

I’ve been to Winslow once, just passing through on I-40. I have no idea what goes on there, but if it is a dangerous, crime ridden place, who cares about why or how they got to that point?

Either it’s a safe place to live, or it isn’t. That’s the only thing that matters.

Even if racism caused the crime, again, so what? Does that help the victims? I’m imagining them saying, “I’ve just had my car jacked and I need to get medical treatment because I was pistol whipped, but since the crime only exists due to racism, I feel better about being a victim because it’s not their fault”

Ironically, I was actually offered a job in that area of Arizona about 18 months ago. I had a good laugh and then turned it down flat.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:42 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’ve been to Winslow once, just passing through on I-40. I have no idea what goes on there, but if it is a dangerous, crime ridden place, who cares about why or how they got to that point?

Either it’s a safe place to live, or it isn’t. That’s the only thing that matters.

Even if racism caused the crime, again, so what? Does that help the victims? I’m imagining them saying, “I’ve just had my car jacked and I need to get medical treatment because I was pistol whipped, but since the crime only exists due to racism, I feel better about being a victim because it’s not their fault”

Ironically, I was actually offered a job in that area of Arizona about 18 months ago. I had a good laugh and then turned it down flat.
I was thinking along those lines myself.

It's very much like when I was living in Colorado Springs. I found visiting Pueblo, the next good-sized community south, literally depressing. And a big part of it was gang activity. I didn't care why the gang activity was there and pretty much not in Colorado Springs.

Old 11-13-2021, 04:32 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
The original lyrics actually referred to "standin' on a corner in Flagstaff Arizona" but the word Flagstaff didn't roll off the tongue very well so both Henley and Frey decided it sounded much smoother and lyrical with "Winslow".
Again, Jackson Browne is credited with the lyrics and if this account from American Songwriter is to be believed, Frey was only responsible for finishing the second verse.

"Take It Easy” was originally intended for Browne’s own self-titled debut album (1972), but he shelved the piece. “It was Glenn who remembered the song from some time earlier and asked Jackson about it one day,” said band member Don Henley.

Frey continued, “I told him that I really liked it. ‘What was that, man? What a cool tune that is.’ He started playing it for me and said, ‘Yeah, but I don’t know – I’m stuck.’ So, he played the second unfinished verse and I said, ‘It’s a girl, my lord, in a flatbed Ford, slowin’ down to take a look at me.’ That was my contribution to [the song], really, just finishing the second verse.”

Even with such a small contribution, Browne was immediately awe-struck, saying, “Okay! We co-wrote this,” as Frey recounted it. “But it’s certainly more of him. Sometimes, you know, it’s the package without the ribbon. He already had the lines about Winslow, Arizona. He’d had car trouble and broken down there on one of his trips to Sedona. He spent a long day in Winslow… I don’t know that we could have ever had a better opening song on our first album. Just those open chords felt like an announcement, ‘And now … the Eagles.’"

http://https://americansongwriter.co...-take-it-easy/

Old 11-14-2021, 05:45 AM

1,810 posts, read 899,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
This!

You’re so woke while not addressing the realities on the ground in Winslow. I’ve spent a considerable amount of time in Winslow and the surrounding Rez areas. They are human cesspools. So sad to see. This is an abject failure on the part of the Navajo people to take care of themselves. They can’t blame in on the Anglo’s or the Mormons. The Navajos are responsible for their own lot in life.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:34 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
You’re so woke while not addressing the realities on the ground in Winslow. I’ve spent a considerable amount of time in Winslow and the surrounding Rez areas. They are human cesspools. So sad to see. This is an abject failure on the part of the Navajo people to take care of themselves. They can’t blame in on the Anglo’s or the Mormons. The Navajos are responsible for their own lot in life.
That's what happens when people become dependent on the government to sustain and provide for them their every need. There's no incentive to improve their lot in life.

Quote:
www.reference.com › history › government-benefits What Government Benefits Do Native Americans Receive?
Free health care, college tuition grants, temporary assistance for needy families, food stamps and the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations are some of the government

Old 11-14-2021, 09:51 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,979 times
Seen an interesting docu off indian nation up north. They are still to this day treated as sub humans.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:06 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Seen an interesting docu off indian nation up north. They are still to this day treated as sub humans.
The conditions on reservations make some third world countries seem prosperous. Native Americans get plenty of government subsidies (more than the average person), but all that does is make them more reliant on Big Brother, and they have little to no ambition to improve their lives. Many of them are drunk, obese, and lazy. Nobody forced them to be that way except themselves.

Old 11-14-2021, 01:02 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The conditions on reservations make some third world countries seem prosperous. Native Americans get plenty of government subsidies (more than the average person), but all that does is make them more reliant on Big Brother, and they have little to no ambition to improve their lives. Many of them are drunk, obese, and lazy. Nobody forced them to be that way except themselves.
Before moving to Arizona my wife and I made several trips out here checking out different places to live. One such place was Kingman. All of our trips were by rail, New York to Chicago then Chicago to Flagstaff. We then drove from Flagstaff to Kingman via 40 and got on old Route 66 in Seligman. Along the way we saw the Music Mountains High School west of Peach Springs. It looked like a brand new school complete with a modern athletic field.

A few years later and after we moved we decided to take a day trip out that way again. To our surprise the place was all boarded up. We drove further down the road west to the Hackberry General Store. While we were just hanging out at the store and talking to the owner. We asked about the school and why it was all boarded up? The owner told us that the government came in and spent millions of dollars building the school for the Native Americans. But a few years later they had to close it down because of all the trouble they had with their students. He also told us that because of the violence at the school they couldn't find enough teachers to teach or personnel to maintain the facilities.

I guess what this goes to show is that you can give people the opportunity to better themselves. But as long as they're not willing to and are content to live off the government nothing will ever change. An endless cycle of dependency never leads to anything good. It condemns people to a life of hopelessness, poverty and despair. Except for very few, a life of which they can never get out of.

Old 11-15-2021, 05:19 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That's what happens when people become dependent on the government to sustain and provide for them their every need. There's no incentive to improve their lot in life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
All of this woke stuff is like still blaming your failures on your parents when you're sixty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona