Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:40 PM

101 posts, read 452,281 times

Advertisements

Thanks a bunch, Shariv! I will check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,048 times
I was raised in Kingman, 1970 thru 1988. Moved to Flagstaff lived there for a long while and now live in TN. Kids are growing up and ready to come back to Az. I really had been thinking of Kingman but after reading the postings it sounds like the same place I longed to escape from so many years ago. Whats the job market like? Entertainment, more then movies and resturants, some one say some thing nice and positive

Old 04-25-2008, 03:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchaos View Post
I was raised in Kingman, 1970 thru 1988. Moved to Flagstaff lived there for a long while and now live in TN. Kids are growing up and ready to come back to Az. I really had been thinking of Kingman but after reading the postings it sounds like the same place I longed to escape from so many years ago. Whats the job market like? Entertainment, more then movies and resturants, some one say some thing nice and positive
I lived just outside of Kingman in 1989; aside from it gaining population and more and (significantly) better amenities--------it 'felt' very similar as late as 2006.

Translation: the downtown area in particular (Beale St, etc) is like being in a time warp in appearance--------just that many/most of the businesses (hobby shop, Safeway, etc) are gone.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:55 PM

13,231 posts, read 21,851,077 times
Quote:
Well we like it here, but we make our own entertainment with exploring, outdoor sports, and socializing with friends. If you're the kind of person who needs the town to provide entertainment for you, you'll probably be disappointed. There are a few really good restaurants in town, but not like you'll find in a big city. Jobwise, we had employment lined up before we arrived. That seems to common theme here. There are also a lot of folks born and raised here who own businesses and who do exceptionally well. I wouldn't want to just show up in Kingman without a job and try to make it here. Then again, I'd never expect to do that anywhere.

On the positive side, the air is clean, the climate is mild, we like our kid's school, the cost of living is ridiculously low, and we find the people to be extremely friendly. And the scenery and sunrises and sunsets are spectacular. I'll put our quality of life better here than anywhere we've ever lived which includes MA, NY, and CA.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:52 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,344,677 times
Hi.. My wife and I both enjoy yardsales, re-sale shops, antique or
collectable shops, thrift shops and such.. never know what you'll find, lol!
We also like to play bingo at the local VFW and American Legions. How is
Kingman for those kind of things?
Thanks!

Old 04-26-2008, 02:20 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,480,785 times
well I have to say I have been here in The tri-cities washington for the past couple of weeks. I cannot wait till next weekend to return home.
Way to much traffic, cannot go hiking out my back door. I need a slower paced home life again.
But yes Kingman is not for everyone it suites most of us just fine. Employment is tough the city is not filling open positions, the state is also in a hiring freeze. Now if you are in the medical field there is plenty of work.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
Hi.. My wife and I both enjoy yardsales, re-sale shops, antique or
collectable shops, thrift shops and such.. never know what you'll find, lol!
We also like to play bingo at the local VFW and American Legions. How is
Kingman for those kind of things?
Thanks!
You described Kingman to a 'T' there.......I will let kdog and rambrush fill in the details; they actually live there, I have been gone from Mohave County since 2006.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 6,048 times
I have been back for a quick visist in 2006, seems like traffic is much worse and according to my brother whom moved back a few years ago health care is lacking. What ever happend to the City Cafe or the Smoke House two long standing staples of survival in Kingman, if those are gone are there replacments?

Old 05-12-2008, 12:32 PM

13,231 posts, read 21,851,077 times
Quote:
I have been back for a quick visist in 2006, seems like traffic is much worse and according to my brother whom moved back a few years ago health care is lacking.
Worse traffic, compared to what? In my opinion, the traffic here is absolutely nothing compared to almost anywhere else in the country. The ONLY place you'll see traffic is around the freeway interchanges. The worst section is the one mile strip of Stockton Hill Rd where all the business are. And even that takes maybe 5 minutes get through. People who complain about 5 minutes to go a mile, have never seen real traffic. I have yet to see a significant town anywhere in this country that didn't have a busy strip like this.

I consider Healthcare in Kingman in general to be quite good. We have really good doctors in town, and have recently had an experience with the Kingman Regional Medical Center. The facility is new, clean and attractive, and the care was excellent.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I have been back for a quick visist in 2006, seems like traffic is much worse and according to my brother whom moved back a few years ago health care is lacking. What ever happend to the City Cafe or the Smoke House two long standing staples of survival in Kingman, if those are gone are there replacments?
City Cafe on Andy Devine near Stockton Hill has been gone for a while I believe.

Smoke House I am not sure about.

Odd about the lack of health care; I have heard that the KRMC is actually a good hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona