Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 07:04 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Possessing a firearm is not a requirement for residency. Lol. But I would most certainly agree, AZ doesn't seem like a good fit.
Making it a requirement for only those that believe in Constitutional Law should be. Actually that's the way it should be for the entire United States, but unfortunately in many parts of the country it isn't. Arizona is one of the last bastions of freedom. I hope that we can keep it that way and it's not just about guns. You really have to experience living in a state like New York to fully appreciate what Arizona has to offer. It's been a liberating experience that's for damn sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 04:08 AM

3 posts, read 1,541 times
Default search

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangger View Post
Hi!
Looking for a town/city with cheap rent (studio/1br or room in a private house), safe, and were weather is not too hot (just doesn't feel like desert in summer).

My car is over 20 years old, therefore I would prefer to stay away from areas that require any kind of emissions testing (VIN check or safety check shouldn't be an issue). I believe Phoenix area does require emissions test, so it won't work for me. How far from Phoenix emissions test is required?

Rent doesn't have to be absolutely lowest - don't really know how much is rent in Arizona, so its hard for me to give any estimate. Say if there's frequent shooting - I would rather pay 100$ more for more safe place.

Average city size is best (say 10K-100K people). Like nature and not a fan of very big cities with very high density of people.
Schools or jobs doesn't matter (work remotely).
Some tolerance to foreigners is important.
Don't need clubs/night life - as long as there's grocery store, dentist and auto parts store, and amazon delivery can get there that would work
I know pretty much nothing about Arizona - any advise is welcome!
Considering other states around California too.
Thank you!
i think you have to ask help from state agent.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:13 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,274,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Says who???
Ha. There are plenty of people here I would not want walking around with a gun. Let's leave concealed and open-carry to the true patriots.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:15 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Making it a requirement for only those that believe in Constitutional Law should be. Actually that's the way it should be for the entire United States, but unfortunately in many parts of the country it isn't. Arizona is one of the last bastions of freedom. I hope that we can keep it that way and it's not just about guns. You really have to experience living in a state like New York to fully appreciate what Arizona has to offer. It's been a liberating experience that's for damn sure.
Honestly, one of the more refreshing things about Arizona has been its libertarian vibe. For the most part, people and the government leave you alone but are willing to engage if that is what you desire. The 'live and let live' attitude is nice. I do notice it starting to change as the state grows, though. As for the OP, Arizona is a nice place, but it isn't for everyone. You really need to come to check it out to see if it is a place you could live.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:10 PM

966 posts, read 1,346,736 times
If you want a place that is cool to live in, I heard Colorado is nice

Old 05-27-2021, 12:52 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Oregon might be a better choice for cooler summers
Cities tend to have more liberal politics (immigrant friendly), rural areas are often more conservative.

I've been in Tucson three years, and the only person I've seen with a gun was a sheriff.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:19 AM

551 posts, read 1,590,912 times
Quote:
Yes, have no any preferance for Arizona. yes, just trying to get of CA.
The only reason I started with AZ is that its just the closest to CA, and I will need to rent U-Haul or similar (U-Haul cost 3300$ to Kansas e.g.).

Just found about SB 1070 bill - may be AZ isn't for foreigners at all?
Arizona has reasonably cool summers in the high country although the temperatures will never be as temperate as ones found in California coastal areas. Arizona is primarily a state without large bodies of water.

You can check out the Verde Valley area which should have easy access to Phoenix. Prices are going up as Californians are escaping. Oro Valley is nice as Mt. Lemon is a short drive away. I’m reasonably sure there will be smog test requirements though as Tucson where Oro Valley is near is a metropolitan area.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:32 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Yes, have no any preferance for Arizona. yes, just trying to get of CA.
The only reason I started with AZ is that its just the closest to CA, and I will need to rent U-Haul or similar (U-Haul cost 3300$ to Kansas e.g.).

Just found about SB 1070 bill - may be AZ isn't for foreigners at all?
SB 1070 has nothing to do with foreigners that are in this country LEGALLY within the State of Arizona. It's about the illegal invaders. You know we do have immigration laws in this country? Some choose not to obey them and enter this country illegally. Since the federal government has no interest in enforcing our immigration laws, the State of Arizona does. Since you just found out about SB 1070 and have no idea of what it's all about, you may not know that Arizona is a border state as well?

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 05-28-2021 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-28-2021, 10:28 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Ha. There are plenty of people here I would not want walking around with a gun. Let's leave concealed and open-carry to the true patriots.
I'll never forget when this Paladin-looking guy strolled into the Circle K at Tatum and Thunderbird. He was completely decked out in black, with holster and guns everywhere. Big smile on his face. Attention getter. This was in about 2014-15, as I recall. Everybody ignored him. He seemed harmless, just a narcissist who likes to push the envelope.

As for emissions, that's a statewide thing. AZ has emissions testing. Where I live now, Alabama, does not. Can't believe how cheap it is to register a vehicle here, after growing up in CA and living in AZ for several years.

If I were the OP I would only consider southern Arizona near the mountains as someone else suggested, like Sierra Vista. But then again, prices are rising, as they are everywhere.

Old 05-31-2021, 03:47 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I'll never forget when this Paladin-looking guy strolled into the Circle K at Tatum and Thunderbird. He was completely decked out in black, with holster and guns everywhere. Big smile on his face. Attention getter. This was in about 2014-15, as I recall. Everybody ignored him. He seemed harmless, just a narcissist who likes to push the envelope.

As for emissions, that's a statewide thing. AZ has emissions testing. Where I live now, Alabama, does not. Can't believe how cheap it is to register a vehicle here, after growing up in CA and living in AZ for several years.

If I were the OP I would only consider southern Arizona near the mountains as someone else suggested, like Sierra Vista. But then again, prices are rising, as they are everywhere.
I don't believe emission testing is statewide in AZ per tis.

https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/veh...tion/emissions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona