Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 06:57 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,296 times

Advertisements

Manila and Jakarta to overtake Singapore as world's top global cities in 20 years, study says - Vulcan Post

Honestly even if it happens i don't care...

Then the Fillipinos will stop coming here which is good for Singapore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 11:02 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,296 times
Do you people in the forum see it happening ? Manila and Jarkarta overtaking Singapore in 20 years ?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Do you people in the forum see it happening ? Manila and Jarkarta overtaking Singapore in 20 years ?
Manila maybe, Jakarta no way.
Islamic and Global don't go together.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:13 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Dubai beg to differ... Today Jakarta is already slightly ahead of Manila and its not an Islamic city where Muslims are banned to do anything seen as "heretic" (except few things seen as immoral by public such as living togther when ur unmarried, free sex which is constantly happening and french deep kissing in public) beside Indonesia have larger land mass and resources for it to develop and invest in, so it just have more potential.

Anywy if the two indeed surprass singaore it shouldnt be a strange thing since both are capital and financial center of an actual country rather than small single city state..

Last edited by Goshio22; 05-28-2014 at 02:22 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 05:37 AM

327 posts, read 569,257 times
You are interpreting that article's title incorrectly. In the article, "overtake" means as a place for global businesses to locate. Singapore, presumably, is getting too expensive. But Manila? Really? I find that very hard to believe.

Last edited by Chasva69; 05-28-2014 at 05:54 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 05:40 AM

327 posts, read 569,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Isn't Kuala Lumpur Islamic and isn't it a global city? And what about Dubai? I think Islamic and Global can go together -- just depends on what the local authorities are willing to offer to global businesses in order to attract them.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:16 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
It's all speculation. Singapore's GDP is bigger than the whole Philippines: that's right, an island nation of 5 million has a bigger GDP than a country of nearly 100 million! So no, not anytime soon...

Old 05-28-2014, 06:30 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
Isn't Kuala Lumpur Islamic and isn't it a global city? And what about Dubai? I think Islamic and Global can go together -- just depends on what the local authorities are willing to offer to global businesses in order to attract them.
I think what you'll see as time goes by is that this sort of thing works where Muslims can convincingly hold power. IE in most of the Middle East foreigners can have 80-90% of the freedoms they get in their home countries, and they get a much better deal financially (no taxes for fWesterners, better pay for everyone else).

I'd really worry about KL (and Malaysia) as time goes on and Malay Muslims move from being a small majority in Malaysia to a much larger majority. This is when you'll see Islamicist parties start to emerge and flex their muscles with an accompanying pushback from the Hindu and Chinese Malaysians.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:37 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I think what you'll see as time goes by is that this sort of thing works where Muslims can convincingly hold power. IE in most of the Middle East foreigners can have 80-90% of the freedoms they get in their home countries, and they get a much better deal financially (no taxes for fWesterners, better pay for everyone else).

I'd really worry about KL (and Malaysia) as time goes on and Malay Muslims move from being a small majority in Malaysia to a much larger majority. This is when you'll see Islamicist parties start to emerge and flex their muscles with an accompanying pushback from the Hindu and Chinese Malaysians.
Chinese Malaysians controlled a lot of the economy and owned a lot of capital, even moreso before (one can debate the fairness of their acquisition but I won't go into that). What is undeniable is that they largely built modern Malaysia from an economic standpoint. Further alienating them and pushing them out will not fair well for Malaysia, unless more entreprenueral Malay business people can fill the gap.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:41 AM

372 posts, read 1,007,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I have more confidence Jakarta, because of the very rapid growth, especially for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia