Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 10:06 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,800,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Lots of people in the older generation want to "liberate" Taiwan.

I have even overheard war plans over a family friends' dinner.
Everyone knows Taiwanese have better living conditions than mainland Chinese, and few if any believe in "communism" now, so it is not so much about "liberation". It is about reunifying the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 11:21 AM

574 posts, read 380,457 times
The chinese people are forbidden to access any news or information not approved by the criminal ccp. They are constantly fed lies and propaganda. What they think about everything is what the ccp has programmed them to think.

The ccp is just stupid enough to believe their own propaganda and lies to the point they think they could get away with attacking Taiwan. Get over it. If china attacks it will start world war 3. The world will not allow china to do as they please.

All of you shills just keep wasting your time posting on message boards the chinese people are not even allowed to read.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:28 PM

3,988 posts, read 5,824,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Besides the propaganda war, a deeper question is, why do so many people believe such ridiculous lies?
It is very easy to smear China without any consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjy_4xP5lpU
The one word of caution out of this clip perhaps is that it was issued by CGTN which as you know is under the control of the Chinese Communist Party's publicity department. Even if what the parents in this Youtube clip say is true, that Western media is using them to their advantage, most Americans and other Westerners will still not believe it simply because it came from the CCP's mouthpiece and is therefore not independent journalism. CGTN could be broadcasting 100% truthful reports (OK not likely because all media including our own American media lie) and still there will be someone who will not believe them whatsoever. We really do not know what goes on in Xinjiang because we are not there to witness it but China has not been particularly shrewd in protecting itself from scrutiny and in fact have often made defensive, apologetic statements that hurt its image because Beijing is too used to speaking from a position of power. Granted no nation in history has every been entirely forthright about whatever atrocities they committed, what the English did to the Irish, what the Americans and Canadians did to the indigenous peoples, what the Turks did to the Armenians, etc. and if others found out, they'd still come up with excuses, sometimes valid, sometimes lame. It's a never ending cycle of who did what and no one will ever get the absolute truth, even 500 years from now.

Still this beckons your question of why Western media continuously smears China and what could it do to better its image. Does the West really hold a grudge against China and if so, why? Could it really be that the U.S. and its allies want to rival China with the understanding that China is indeed the next superpower? Or is it because the Chinese and Westerners simply hold different values and therefore have misunderstandings? If both sides can never come to a full appreciation of each other's history, culture, and values, can they still have a working relationship. Yes, I know with media it is hard to ignore because the purpose of media is to incite, even if it has to twist the facts, more pathos and less logos. That is why media is often associated with the term "propoganda" from Latin propogo, propogare meaning "to breed". Media without incitement or provocation would not be exciting. People who follow media might as well turn to a crop report if media were that boring. Yet on the other hand, I could provide you a truthful crop report with the most accurately computed statistics and you could still call me a blatant liar if you don't trust me or hold a grudge against me. Do you follow where I am going with this?

Old 12-03-2021, 07:49 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,800,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
The one word of caution out of this clip perhaps is that it was issued by CGTN which as you know is under the control of the Chinese Communist Party's publicity department. Even if what the parents in this Youtube clip say is true, that Western media is using them to their advantage, most Americans and other Westerners will still not believe it simply because it came from the CCP's mouthpiece and is therefore not independent journalism. CGTN could be broadcasting 100% truthful reports (OK not likely because all media including our own American media lie) and still there will be someone who will not believe them whatsoever. We really do not know what goes on in Xinjiang because we are not there to witness it but China has not been particularly shrewd in protecting itself from scrutiny and in fact have often made defensive, apologetic statements that hurt its image because Beijing is too used to speaking from a position of power. Granted no nation in history has every been entirely forthright about whatever atrocities they committed, what the English did to the Irish, what the Americans and Canadians did to the indigenous peoples, what the Turks did to the Armenians, etc. and if others found out, they'd still come up with excuses, sometimes valid, sometimes lame. It's a never ending cycle of who did what and no one will ever get the absolute truth, even 500 years from now.

Still this beckons your question of why Western media continuously smears China and what could it do to better its image. Does the West really hold a grudge against China and if so, why? Could it really be that the U.S. and its allies want to rival China with the understanding that China is indeed the next superpower? Or is it because the Chinese and Westerners simply hold different values and therefore have misunderstandings? If both sides can never come to a full appreciation of each other's history, culture, and values, can they still have a working relationship. Yes, I know with media it is hard to ignore because the purpose of media is to incite, even if it has to twist the facts, more pathos and less logos. That is why media is often associated with the term "propoganda" from Latin propogo, propogare meaning "to breed". Media without incitement or provocation would not be exciting. People who follow media might as well turn to a crop report if media were that boring. Yet on the other hand, I could provide you a truthful crop report with the most accurately computed statistics and you could still call me a blatant liar if you don't trust me or hold a grudge against me. Do you follow where I am going with this?
You asked some legitimate questions...
However, I also want to point out that generally speaking, Chinese people still know more about America than the other way round. So in most cases, it is easier for them to tell what can be possibly true in America than the other way round. (I use America as an example, but you can replace it with most other western countries.)

If a rumor says some Americans are arrested only because they criticized Biden, all educated Chinese know it is false. However, if another rumor says some Chinese citizens are put in "concentration camps" only because they practice Islam, quite some Americans will believe it.

The vast majority of educated Chinese living in America speak decent English, while Americans living in China typically speak baby Chinese and cannot read. So even the expat communities have some asymmetry of information flow.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:16 PM

671 posts, read 320,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post

did you tell this to BBC?
check out these two gems

BBC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mqga0a6H8I
CGTN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07NjqkQAgs8

does BBC know that CGTN is a mouthpiece of the CCP? oh you bet, but sure, we will use CGTN's reports if it fits our narrative.

look, every media, everyone, is under some body's pay book, collecting a paycheck to report on stuff. no one is reporting the truth anymore. In today's world, it doesn't matter where the report comes from, as long as it finds an audience somewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia