Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 03:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times

Advertisements

Besides the propaganda war, a deeper question is, why do so many people believe such ridiculous lies?
It is very easy to smear China without any consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjy_4xP5lpU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 05:52 PM

3,778 posts, read 5,324,471 times
I spent some time in China and learned spoken Putonghua to a functional level. A Chinese friend that I made in Tianjin later moved to Urumqi, and I went to visit him there. The two cultures, however (Han and Uyghur), could hardly be farther apart, and that seems to be one of the major issues. I can understand the desire for the Uyghurs to have their own "Turkestan" but unfortunately, Xinjiang is firmly under Han control at this time, and a revolution doesn't seem likely or possible.

Xi Jinping has made a change in the direction of the policy towards non-Han ethnic groups, an issue which is well covered by an article in The Diplomat which is, unfortunately, behind a paywall (I am a subscriber). In the past, ethnic language schools were allowed and non-Han affirmative action programs in place, similar to what the USA has done with its minorities. However, a backlash has developed against that and merit-based programs are being supported now. All ethnic groups are being encouraged to embrace nationhood under the Han language, Han culture, and Communist Party leadership.

https://magazine.thediplomat.com/#/i...c0uO7CAyx/read

I'll let the know-littles and never-been-theres carry the discussion, however.

Last edited by Teak; 11-28-2021 at 06:02 PM..

Old 11-28-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I spent some time in China and learned spoken Putonghua to a functional level. A Chinese friend that I made in Tianjin later moved to Urumqi, and I went to visit him there. The two cultures, however (Han and Uyghur), could hardly be farther apart, and that seems to be one of the major issues. I can understand the desire for the Uyghurs to have their own "Turkestan" but unfortunately, Xinjiang is firmly under Han control at this time, and a revolution doesn't seem likely or possible.

Xi Jinping has made a change in the direction of the policy towards non-Han ethnic groups, an issue which is well covered by an article in The Diplomat which is, unfortunately, behind a paywall (I am a subscriber). In the past, ethnic language schools were allowed and non-Han affirmative action programs in place, similar to what the USA has done with its minorities. However, a backlash has developed against that and merit-based programs are being supported now. All ethnic groups are being encouraged to embrace nationhood under the Han language, Han culture, and Communist Party leadership.

https://magazine.thediplomat.com/#/i...c0uO7CAyx/read

I'll let the know-littles and never-been-theres carry the discussion, however.
Did you even watch the video? What you said is irrelevant.
This video is about a specific event, and what is true or false has a clear definition.

Yes, of course there are changes in policies in Xinjiang. Did you notice since 2016, there has been no terror attack in Xinjiang? They used to occur every year.
When you argue against me, maybe it's better to fully understand my arguments first.

Last edited by Bettafish; 11-28-2021 at 09:08 PM..

Old 11-29-2021, 11:48 AM

574 posts, read 376,778 times
Another thread attempting to deceive people into thinking ping and the ccp are not lying pariah's?

Old 11-29-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
Another thread attempting to deceive people into thinking ping and the ccp are not lying pariah's?
Another hollow slogan which absolutely makes no sense at all.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:33 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
It doesn't matter what really happens/happened in Xinjiang. People believe China has concentration camps because China has always been a terrible piece of **** country and no one gives two ****s about what Chinese people feel about it.

When you've been a known rapist and murderer all your life don't expect others to concern themselves with the truth of another criminal action allegedly commited by you. You've made your own bed and you should sleep in it.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It doesn't matter what really happens/happened in Xinjiang. People believe China has concentration camps because China has always been a terrible piece of **** country and no one gives two ****s about what Chinese people feel about it.

When you've been a known rapist and murderer all your life don't expect others to concern themselves with the truth of another criminal action allegedly commited by you. You've made your own bed and you should sleep in it.
And this feeling is mutual.
Chinese people are gradually losing trust on foreign media too, and increasingly hate Taiwanese as well. And you think it is good for Taiwan?

When I was younger, we didn't hate Taiwanese at all, and actually we all watched a lot of Taiwanese TV series and listened to Taiwanese (Mandarin) pop songs.
The younger generation, however, do not have the affinity to Taiwan anymore. If there is a war, they won't feel sorry. The reason is from people like you.

Old 12-01-2021, 01:32 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
And this feeling is mutual.
Chinese people are gradually losing trust on foreign media too, and increasingly hate Taiwanese as well. And you think it is good for Taiwan?

When I was younger, we didn't hate Taiwanese at all, and actually we all watched a lot of Taiwanese TV series and listened to Taiwanese (Mandarin) pop songs.
The younger generation, however, do not have the affinity to Taiwan anymore. If there is a war, they won't feel sorry. The reason is from people like you.
I don't think that most young people in China want to go to war and would hope that they would have the sense to feel that any loss of life would be terrible, especially if it's to liberate their supposed countrymen and women from the clutches of Western imperialism.

Old 12-01-2021, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't think that most young people in China want to go to war and would hope that they would have the sense to feel that any loss of life would be terrible, especially if it's to liberate their supposed countrymen and women from the clutches of Western imperialism.
They don't want to go to war, maybe, but they won't feel sorry if there is truly a war.
Nobody in China wants to "liberate" Taiwan. It is not the 1960s. They want the land and the resources, and believe they belong to China. They accept some Taiwanese as fellowmen but not all.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:15 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
They don't want to go to war, maybe, but they won't feel sorry if there is truly a war.
Nobody in China wants to "liberate" Taiwan. It is not the 1960s. They want the land and the resources, and believe they belong to China. They accept some Taiwanese as fellowmen but not all.
Lots of people in the older generation want to "liberate" Taiwan.

I have even overheard war plans over a family friends' dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia