Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 04:42 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times

Advertisements

Nothing about N Fulton is any worse than all the other suburban areas of Atlanta. Sure some of the towns themselves might have downtowns, but those are generally pretty small areas. To be clear, it all sucks. But that's just one of the worst parts about living in metro Atlanta (save the city), the infrastructure. I've driven through Johns Creek plenty over the last 4 years and it's really no different from growing up in Gwinnett near Snellville. If anything, N Fulton at least does a better job making the roads look nicer compared to Gwinnett. Lawrenceville Hwy over the years around Lilburn is generally just ugly. Scenic Hwy north of 78 has always been a dumpster fire. Alpharetta has made some changes with their downtown. Also a lot of the roads are getting updated and they've been working on connecting walk/bike paths. Got the Big Creek Greenway. Also have the Alpha Loop which the city is working on. They've just about connected Avalon and DT Alpharetta. From a freeway standpoint, outside of AM rush hour, I definitely prefer 400 over 85. Less truck traffic for one. Also have MARTA busses (can't speak to their actual use) and the North Point station is convenient to drive to. The river does complicate things. It's to the east and the south. Only so many bridges to/from Gwinnett and 400 and HWY 9 are the only easy ways to go between Roswell and Sandy Springs. When 400 has a wreck, it quickly fills Hwy 9. Only options are a long way through East Cobb or Holcomb Bridge Rd. Gwinnett at least has PIB, Buford Hwy, Lville Hwy, and some others for when 85 is jammed.

Personally my least favorite areas are any of the true exurban areas that are growing like crazy. Tons of 2 lane roads that they're trying to widen as fast as they can. Cumming/N Forsyth, Braselton/Hoschton, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 11:24 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
There was nothing to disagree with. I'm a Maryland resident now, I'm telling you that the overall road infrastructure in PA, NJ, and NY is much worse than the Atlanta area.
Well the road infrastructure of a state to a metropolitan area isn't exactly apples-to-apples, but NJ is more comparable given its more compact size and overall it absolutely has better road infrastructure. Winters are more of an issue in Northern states obviously which has an effect on quality but the road network is unquestionably more extensive and GA simply has no answer for the NJ Turnpike.

Old 02-22-2024, 01:27 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,614,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well the road infrastructure of a state to a metropolitan area isn't exactly apples-to-apples, but NJ is more comparable given its more compact size and overall it absolutely has better road infrastructure. Winters are more of an issue in Northern states obviously which has an effect on quality but the road network is unquestionably more extensive and GA simply has no answer for the NJ Turnpike.
That's fair, so let me rephrase it. The road quality in Greater Philly felt much worse than the roads in Metro Atlanta. NYC roads felt bad as well. Southern MD (DC) have solid roads but they didn't feel as smooth as the roads in ATL, either.

Now, regarding the states, I agree with you that GA doesn't have an answer for the NJ Turnpike. Yet, most sites still rank GA's infrastructure over PA, NJ, and MD...all things considered.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:30 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
That's fair, so let me rephrase it. The road quality in Greater Philly felt much worse than the roads in Metro Atlanta. NYC roads felt bad as well. Southern MD (DC) have solid roads but they didn't feel as smooth as the roads in ATL, either.

Now, regarding the states, I agree with you that GA doesn't have an answer for the NJ Turnpike. Yet, most sites still rank GA's infrastructure over PA, NJ, and MD...all things considered.
Lived in PA for a bit for grad school. Absolutely hated the roads there. Poor quality. Least favorite state to drive in right next to Louisiana. Only drove a few miles in the northern tip of NJ and roads sucked there too. Quite honestly, all of the NE just seems bad. The one thing PA and the rest of the NE has (partly at least) is the only part of the Amtrak system actually worth anything. Was nice taking the train from Lancaster to Philly and/or NYC when I wanted.

Old 02-25-2024, 08:07 AM

11,780 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yea I agree, I love the NJTPK as well as Garden State Pkwy.

I-75 may end up looking like the NJTPK in some ways if they ever build those truck lanes but the NJTPK also has sophisticated interchanges. The one thing they should have done with that road is continued it North and crossed over the Hudson River around I-287 as to avoid Manhattan / Bronx and the cluster jam of lane reductions that happen in such a short area.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:22 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,770 times
Anywhere in Gwinnett. It’s like as soon as you cross the county line, the roads are 20 years past their best by date, can’t support the population using them and are full of potholes. The Gwinnett planner/traffic engineer philosophy seems to be “hey let’s just slap another lane on this winding country road even though 200k cars use it to commute every morning.”

Fulton by contrast seems to have the best infrastructure in my experience. Yeah, it’s busy, it’s sprawling, but it’s orderly and well maintained too.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:35 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Anywhere in Gwinnett. It’s like as soon as you cross the county line, the roads are 20 years past their best by date, can’t support the population using them and are full of potholes. The Gwinnett planner/traffic engineer philosophy seems to be “hey let’s just slap another lane on this winding country road even though 200k cars use it to commute every morning.”

Fulton by contrast seems to have the best infrastructure in my experience. Yeah, it’s busy, it’s sprawling, but it’s orderly and well maintained too.
The parts of Gwinnett I'm around (Buford, Suwanee, Sugar Hill, Peachtree Corners) all have nice paved roads without potholes.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:21 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
The parts of Gwinnett I'm around (Buford, Suwanee, Sugar Hill, Peachtree Corners) all have nice paved roads without potholes.
Try Lawrenceville, Lilburn, Norcross, Mountain Park, Snellville…

Old 02-29-2024, 12:29 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Try Lawrenceville, Lilburn, Norcross, Mountain Park, Snellville…
Maybe parts of Lilburn and Norcross, but the vast majority of Gwinnett seems fine.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:02 PM

11,780 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Maybe parts of Lilburn and Norcross, but the vast majority of Gwinnett seems fine.
Yeah I agree with this. Gwinnett generally does a pretty good job with roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta