Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,193,679 times

Advertisements

No more fake sedans

Far fewer ovals; I am just not interested in turning left.

Downsize cars

Make the technology at least remotely connected to real world vehicles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,239,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
No more fake sedans

Downsize cars

Pushrod V8s and fuel injection aren't connected to the real world? More than most other racing series, NASCAR vehicles use real world tech, just better versions of it.

What's so great about turning right?

What would smaller cars accomplish?

Fake sedans? Are you referring to them all having a very similar body? People complained when a certain brand had an edge over the others because of the body. Now people complain because they're almost the same.

NASCAR is what it is. I'm not defending it as if it is the zenith of motorsports. Making it like other racing series and tech means it's just another version of them. Just like people, you can't make it (them) what you want it (them) to be. All you can do is decide if you want to be with it (them). But I respect your views.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,193,679 times
Pushrod V8s are slowly but surely fading away. Only GM and Chrysler really use them. When was there a piece of technology used in Nascar that showed up in a street car?

Fuel injection is very relevant, but Nascar added that just one year ago, right? Finally quit using carburetors?

Turning right AND left requires.....maybe......twice as much driver skill! And the car has to be set up for balance.

Smaller cars would relate better to what people see on the road.

You're right - it is what it is. But if it doesn't change, it will deteriorate even more than it is now. The WSJ just wrote an article about it. Attendance is down, and sponsors are leaving in droves. The core fan is a 50 year old white male. Sponsors need to reach other groups of people.

But it is just my opinion of course. And unless it changes, I won't pay any attention to it.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:04 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,899 times
Right hand turns and cars that are actually different and better represent their production counter parts.

Can't stand ovals. <road courses all day

Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,834,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Perosnally I'd get rid of the chase idea and just make entire season points total name the champion.
But wouldn't that just give us more Matt Kenseth's?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:07 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,834,126 times
Here is what NASCAR (Brian France) plans to do next season to improve the sport:

Quote:
" The 2013 car will have more brand identity for manufacturers with the vehicle looking more like those on the showroom floor.
" NASCAR is addressing changes in the car to improve competition as far as more passing and tighter racing.
" The driver's last name will be placed on the windshield so fans can better identify their driver in an era when paint schemes change frequently.
" Sponsor logos will be allowed on the roof for more exposure from television.
" The average age for drivers in the Truck Series will be dropped from 18 to 16 for road courses and any tracks 1.1 mile or less.
" A digital cockpit is coming in 2014 that will offer new social media possibilities.
Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page

Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,500,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Two reasons
1. F1 drivers don't have the skills to drive NASCAR stockcars so no stockers in Europe or SA
2. Non Americans don't have the skills for American Football except for FG kickers.
Thats a good one.. Ive driven all types of race cars. Alot of formula cars, not a current F1 car, but some vintage ones and plenty of current formula cars and Indy cars from the 60s through late 90s. The first time I drove a stockcar I was intimidated. Then within like 3 laps I was like "really". I could have done this when I was 10 years old. A stock car aint hard to drive. The "art" in stock car is making as fast as possible down to the thousandth for every lap during a WHOLE fuel load as the balance is constantly changing during every pound if fuel burning off. But a stock car is pretty easy to overall drive fast. The second time I drive one I almost feel asleep by the 5th lap at Talladega at over 200mph in an unrestricted car.
Point being, anyone that can drive a formula car well can drive a stockcar well. And there are a few of them in Europe and plenty of them in SA.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,880,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Point being, anyone that can drive a formula car well can drive a stockcar well.
Alrighty then

Old 11-20-2012, 03:40 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,572,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Thats a good one.. Ive driven all types of race cars. Alot of formula cars, not a current F1 car, but some vintage ones and plenty of current formula cars and Indy cars from the 60s through late 90s. The first time I drove a stockcar I was intimidated. Then within like 3 laps I was like "really". I could have done this when I was 10 years old. A stock car aint hard to drive. The "art" in stock car is making as fast as possible down to the thousandth for every lap during a WHOLE fuel load as the balance is constantly changing during every pound if fuel burning off. But a stock car is pretty easy to overall drive fast. The second time I drive one I almost feel asleep by the 5th lap at Talladega at over 200mph in an unrestricted car.
Point being, anyone that can drive a formula car well can drive a stockcar well. And there are a few of them in Europe and plenty of them in SA.
Perhaps you should start a driving school because I have followed this sport for many years and have seen many open wheel drivers who couldn't cut it in the Cup series.
Then again, they may have been falling asleep too.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:43 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,572,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
No more fake sedans

Downsize cars

Because I can go buy a McLaren Mercedes with a 1100hp engine that turns 20,000 rpm from my local Benz dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing