Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
From what I've read there seems to be a rampant price gouging with area businesses and hotels when the race is in town.
I used to have two season tickets for Bristol and gave them up because our family doubled in size and we moved to California, but also because I couldn't justify the cost of buying entire packages. I would usually sell off what I didn't need, first offering to family, and if they didn't want them selling them on ebay.

I think when the economy tanked, the racing changed (COT), they changed the track all created a storm where tickets just weren't in demand.

On top of that, I've been to quite a few Cup tracks, and Bristol is amongst the worst in hotel location and price gouging. A few friends of mine still go and they told me even the camping is way way down.

The first time we went in '97 the closest we could get to the track was Asheville, NC. The last time I was there in 2007, I took my dad because he had never been. I was in the military at the time and ended up making plans in April for the August race. For the life of me, I couldn't find a room within 2 hrs of the place and had about given up hope. Somehow, through some stroke of luck on the internet, I managed to reserve rooms for $60 per night for 5 nights. When we checked in the person at the desk they were shocked because they were renting rooms upwards to $300 per night - and this is at least an hour away from the track.

The value just isn't there when everything is considered anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
As Danica learned.
as well as many other drivers.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 PM

797 posts, read 1,343,805 times
Mark Martin brought a smile to my wife's face today.

We were dairy farmers in Minnesota when we first got " hooked " on NASCAR and Mark Martin.

My step son in Michigan surprised my wife by bringing her to the Michigan race in 2011 right after she was diagnosed with ALS.

although my wife is in final stages of ALS now, we watch NASCAR in the livingroom of our retirement home in Arkansas.

I saw on TV that Mark Martin was going to be signing autographs at Mark Martin's new Chevrolet dealership in Ash Flat Arkansas ( 8 miles away)

I took my wife's Michigan race T-shirt.............waited in the long line..........and got Mark Martin to sign it.
Just as he finished I stated.............." My wife is in a wheelchair with ALS and she sure loves ya"

Mark Martin looked up quickly, and with a big grin said---------------" tell her I said hi"

A classy guy brought joy to a woman who is near death today.

Thank you Mark Martin !

Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Mark Martin brought a smile to my wife's face today.

We were dairy farmers in Minnesota when we first got " hooked " on NASCAR and Mark Martin.

My step son in Michigan surprised my wife by bringing her to the Michigan race in 2011 right after she was diagnosed with ALS.

although my wife is in final stages of ALS now, we watch NASCAR in the livingroom of our retirement home in Arkansas.

I saw on TV that Mark Martin was going to be signing autographs at Mark Martin's new Chevrolet dealership in Ash Flat Arkansas ( 8 miles away)

I took my wife's Michigan race T-shirt.............waited in the long line..........and got Mark Martin to sign it.
Just as he finished I stated.............." My wife is in a wheelchair with ALS and she sure loves ya"

Mark Martin looked up quickly, and with a big grin said---------------" tell her I said hi"

A classy guy brought joy to a woman who is near death today.

Thank you Mark Martin !
Mark Martin is awesome.

When I was first drawn to NASCAR - I was impressed by Dave Marcis still racing well into his "later years".

Mark has better access to teams than Dave did.

Marcis ran his own shop when the concept of teams were becoming the norm - but Martin is still running with the young drivers - and that is positive for the sport.

Unless he runs a full schedule, he will not win that elusive series championship.

But he can still win a Daytona 500 - and I look forward to more nailbiters like 2007 and 2013!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:59 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
I wasn't alive for the 1976 race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AibV8_0USBA

... so the 2007 Daytona 500 is the best one that I have ever viewed live(all on TV - I do hope to watch one live on site).

2007 Daytona 500 Final Two Laps - YouTube

1990(Dericke Cope) and 1998(Dale Earnhardt Sr) are close - but as good as they were - this one was classic as well.

Last edited by Harrier; 03-20-2013 at 02:08 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
Mark Martin is as good as they come, no doubt!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,113 times
I'm liking Biffle to win the race tomorrow. He's been really fast all weekend.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
looks like yotta ifthey have their engne problems gone have th espped this eyar. Martin is a class act.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
looks like yotta ifthey have their engne problems gone have th espped this eyar. Martin is a class act.
lol, try not to post when you're drunk.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:18 PM

36,413 posts, read 16,023,456 times
OMG...awesome race...I'm upset about the finish, too bad they had to wreck at the end, was pulling for Hamlin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing