Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times

Advertisements

Destination revealed: Jeff Burton headed for part-time gig at MWR | FOX Sports on MSN

Joe Gibbs Racing and Dollar General expand NASCAR Sprint Cup sponsorship - Autoweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 08:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
So here's a breakdown of the teams as of right now as per Jayski:

Chevrolet:
Earnhardt Ganassi Racing:
#1: Jamie McMurray
#42: Kyle Larson
Furniture Row Motorsports:
Germain Racing:
#13: Casey Mears
Hendrick Motorsports:
#5: Kasey Kahne
#24: Jeff Gordon
#48 Jimmie Johnson
#88: Dale Earnhardt Jr.
JTG Daugherty Racing:
#47: A.J. Allmendinger
Phil Parsons Racing:
#98: Josh Wise
Richard Childress Racing:
#27: Paul Menard
#29: *
#31: Ryan Newman
Stewart-Haas Racing:
#4: Kevin Harvick
#10: Danica Patrick
#41: Kurt Busch
Tommy Baldwin Racing:
#7: Michael Annett
#36: TBD
Turner Scott Motorsports:
#51: Justin Allgaier

Ford:
FAS Lane Racing:
#32: TDB
Front-Row Motorsports:
#34: David Ragan
#35: TBD
#28: David Gilliland
Leavine Family
#95: Michael McDowell
Penske Racing:
#2: Brad Keslowski
#22: Joey Logano
Richard Petty Motorsports:
#9: Marcos Ambrose
#43: Aric Almirola
Roush-Fenway Racing:
#16: Greg Biffle
#17: Ricky Stenhouse
#99: Carl Edwards
Wood Brothers Racing:
#21 Trevor Bayne

Toyota:
BK Racing:
#83: TBD
#93: TBD
Joe Gibbs Racing:
#11: Denny Hamlin
#18: Kyle Busch
#20: Matt Kenseth
Michael Waltrip Racing:
#15: Clint Bowyer
#55: Brian Vickers**
#66: Michael Waltrip & Jeff Burton
Swan Racing:
#30: TBD***
#?: TBD****

Notes:
*: Austin Dillion is rumored to be jumping in the #29 as the #3.
**: Brian Vickers is named but this is pending his health issues.
***: Cole Whitt or Parker Kligerman will be driving the #30 car.
****: Whoever does not drive the #30 car for Swan will drive this car

Old 12-07-2013, 06:43 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
In no particular order,
The biggest challenge to Hendrick this year will come from Penske.
Penske is too good a team owner to not improve over it's first year with Ford.
Stuart Hass will be fighting each other instead of the competition.
Gibbs will still be in the fight.
Jack Roush still thinks he knows more than his competitors and again will not win.
Childress thinks he has found Earnhardt Sr. version 2 in his grandson.
Michael Waltrip will win biggest NASCAR ass kisser competition.

All the teams will be chasing Hendrick because just like in F1 whoever spends the most wins the most. Been that way since day one in racing.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
All the teams will be chasing Hendrick because just like in F1 whoever spends the most wins the most. Been that way since day one in racing.
Hendrick has won 11 Cups since 1995. Other teams that have won the cups in that time, Roberts Yates Racing with Dale Jarrett, Joe Gibbs with Bobby Labonte and Ton Stewart, Roush Racing with Matt Kenseth and Kurt Busch, Stewart-Haas with Tony Stewart and Penske with Brad.

I don't think Hendrick spends the most money, they just spend it the right way. Think about it Roush,Gibbs and Penskee both have talented drivers. The difference is Jimmie Johnson isn't overly emotional compared to most of the other drivers. The only other driver who isn't that has a fully-funded team is Matt Kenseth. Coincidentally, both finished in the top two in points and challenged eachother through out the chase.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
In no particular order,
The biggest challenge to Hendrick this year will come from Penske. Penske is too good a team owner to not improve over it's first year with Ford. I doubt it as BK's lack of being able to defend his title lends evidence to the contrary.
Stuart Hass will be fighting each other instead of the competition.
Gibbs will still be in the fight. Back injury aside I think this will be Denny's last chance to prove something.
Jack Roush still thinks he knows more than his competitors and again will not win. Funny, sad, and yet probably the truth.
Childress thinks he has found Earnhardt Sr. version 2 in his grandson. Wouldn't he be 3.0? I thought Dale Jr was 2.0
Michael Waltrip will win biggest NASCAR ass kisser competition. After the Richmond debacle MW is going to have to go around to the front, if you catch my drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Hendrick has won 11 Cups since 1995. Other teams that have won the cups in that time, Roberts Yates Racing with Dale Jarrett, Joe Gibbs with Bobby Labonte and Ton Stewart, Roush Racing with Matt Kenseth and Kurt Busch, Stewart-Haas with Tony Stewart and Penske with Brad.

I don't think Hendrick spends the most money, they just spend it the right way. Think about it Roush,Gibbs and Penskee both have talented drivers. The difference is Jimmie Johnson isn't overly emotional compared to most of the other drivers. The only other driver who isn't that has a fully-funded team is Matt Kenseth. Coincidentally, both finished in the top two in points and challenged eachother through out the chase.
Insightful observation and I think this is how MWR was making good progress, until...... well, no need repeating it.
When it comes to personality JJ's personality is less dry than MKs, which proabably does help them on the track to keep their cool. Harry Gant & Dale Sr are two drivers that come to mind that I don't recall blowing their tops during a race.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:23 PM

275 posts, read 455,143 times
I'm excited for next season's rookie battle. Dillon vs. Larson would be the obvious rookie title fight, but with guys like Kligerman, Annett, Whitt, and Allgaier making the jump... it will certainly be interesting. Allgaier will be a threat on superspeedways for sure. I think Kligerman will surprise some people. He finished in the Top 25 twice in the SWAN RACING car. Think about that. If they don't spread their resources too thin by running two cars, he could really mix things up.

Also, sad to see some of the veterans phasing out their careers. I grew up a fan of the Labonte and Burton brothers, Martin, and Schrader. Jeff Gordon is the last competitive driver from the early 90's still going. As someone who watched his rookie season, it is so weird saying he's one of "the old guys" now.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:32 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
jimmie Johnson will be in the mix for yet another title, those chevys are tough to beat over a long season.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:19 AM

It's official, Austin Dillon is in the #3 starting in 2014.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:16 PM

275 posts, read 455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's official, Austin Dillon is in the #3 starting in 2014.
Threw up in my mouth a little when I heard this.

I don't like this at all. I understand Childress owns the number and numbers can't officially get "retired" in NASCAR (if they could, #43, #11, #21, etc. would've been gone decades ago)

But... I'm not a fan of "silver spooners" like the Dillon boys and their fake cowboy schtick.

I sincerely hope Dillon flops harder than Casey Atwood and Buckshot Jones combined.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyePorcupine View Post
Threw up in my mouth a little when I heard this.

I don't like this at all. I understand Childress owns the number and numbers can't officially get "retired" in NASCAR (if they could, #43, #11, #21, etc. would've been gone decades ago)

But... I'm not a fan of "silver spooners" like the Dillon boys and their fake cowboy schtick.

I sincerely hope Dillon flops harder than Casey Atwood and Buckshot Jones combined.
Childress ran the #3 in the first Dega race ever, about ten years before Sr. made his first cup races. It was Childress' number before Sr. so I don't complain about it in the least.

I hope that Austin proves you wrong, the guy is talented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing