Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 02:57 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
I understand that sprint cars and stock cars are technically different things, but oval racing with cars is about the most boring thing I've ever seen. It's why I don't identify with the majority of gearhead Americans. Still, oval racing cars on dirt is at least more exciting than the snore-fest that is NASCAR. The worst possible outcome is to see one of my road racing heroes fall into the boring trap that is tarmac stock car racing.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:45 PM

364 posts, read 559,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Winged Sprints and stock-cars are 'technically different' like Minivans and Ferraris are 'technically different'.
I'll agree it isn't my local 1/5 mile stock car race, but it still doesn't hold a candle to what Mr. Hayden has seen in his lifetime. I'd say it would be cool for he (and Rossi and Edwards and Spies) to try the Isle of Man, but I don't wish death on them.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:37 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
I'll agree it isn't my local 1/5 mile stock car race, but it still doesn't hold a candle to what Mr. Hayden has seen in his lifetime. I'd say it would be cool for he (and Rossi and Edwards and Spies) to try the Isle of Man, but I don't wish death on them.
The TT is an awesome event but it seems you're essentially racing the course, a titanic battle in its own right. . I wonder if that would satisfy the competitive urge of some of the racers who seem to enjoy beating their competitors on track so much?

There was a WSB race at Imola a few years back that completely made me an Edwards fan. I believe he only needed a 2nd or 3rd to claim the season title but spent the race locked in an elbow to elbow battle with one of the Troys, GREAT racing and I think enjoyed tremendously by both parties. I know some would say it was foolish, that the title was the goal and he risked losing it but to me he showed he is absolutely a RACER and it was great.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 PM

364 posts, read 559,970 times
I have still never witnessed a MotoGP event (or any roadracing event in person). It's a major goal of mine to get there within the next couple years before a couple of these big names are done. When do you guys think Rossi will retire?

Old 07-21-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I have still never witnessed a MotoGP event (or any roadracing event in person). It's a major goal of mine to get there within the next couple years before a couple of these big names are done. When do you guys think Rossi will retire?
He's signed with Yamaha until the end of 2015 I believe. Could be 2014. The is a rumour he might be going to WSBK then with Yamaha's return to the sport.
I'm guessing if he doesn't get another MotoGP championship between now and then, that could well happen.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:38 PM

R.I.P to Andrea Antonelli, the World Supersport rider who lost his life in Russia today.

Tear up the skies above.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:41 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Rossi's 34 and it's pretty obvious he still has the fire, as long as he manages to avoid injury he could well go another few years.

I've been to AMA road races but never a GP, would love to find scheduling that would allow seeing a MotoGP one week and an F1 race the next somewhere in Europe.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:33 PM

Pretty boring race IMO.
Dani and Jorge did well considering.
Expected more from Rossi and Crutchlow though.

Well done to Bradle and Bautista too though.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,739 times
R.I.P. Andrea Antonelli. You are lost but not forgotten.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,739 times
On a less depressing note, I heard Toby Moody say that Nicky Hayden will not be resigning with Ducati next year. Hopefully we will see him on a more capable MotoGP machine for 14'. Maybe if Cal Crutchlow moves to a factory Yamaha, Nicky can take his spot on the Tech3 satellite Yamaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing