Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Gotta love those redneck preachers at all NASCAR events. I don't care if you hate NASCAR or if you hate football but you gotta love this guy.

Best NASCAR Invocation Ever July 23, 2011 - YouTube
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 09:45 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,882,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I don't participate in it. I respect NASCAR's right to have a Christian prayer. What I don't respect is NASCAR's hypocrisy. They claim to be a major sport among the 4 major sports. However, I think we can all see that it is a niche sport designed to appeal to a segment of the population. I've never heard a prayer citing Jesus Christ at an NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL event. Also the demographics at the four major sports are much more diverse whereas with NASCAR it's seems to consist of over 95% white christians. I don't see how you can claim you are a major national sporting event. I wish NASCAR and its fans would be honest and not try to be something they clearly aren't.
What difference does it make if they're a major sport or not....I mean really?
Are you implying that only white Christians pray? Seems to me like you want to turn this into yet another issue about race that only exists in your own mind. But if you don't support NASCAR's values then why is this so important to you when their many secular sponsors don't have any issues with prayer or NASCAR's classification as a sport?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
America is one of the most xenophobic countries on Earth. Xenophobia is an institution here, and has been for a long time. Isn't that ironic for a country of immigrants?

There are (Christian) prayers at the start of public school graduations every year in my hometown. The supporting crowd will say "it's no big deal. Just let them do it, and it'll be over in a minute." NO! It is a big deal. It's a slap in the face to everyone outside of that group. It's a very simple issue that lots of people can't seem to understand: If it's a private organization, do what you will. If there are public dollars in it, NO RELIGION ALLOWED!

I'm not really sure where NASCAR falls in that, but it's definitely a picture of the classic "ugly American," only in this case, it's an ugly American in America! They aren't a major sport, no matter what ESPN (Disney) wants to make us believe.
Wow, what happens at your public schools is horrible. I don't see NASCAR being as bad. People don't have to partake in NASCAR and it doesn't take taxpayer money.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,015 times
Quote:
I've never heard a prayer citing Jesus Christ at an NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL event. Also the demographics at the four major sports are much more diverse whereas with NASCAR it's seems to consist of over 95% white christians. I don't see how you can claim you are a major national sporting event. I wish NASCAR and its fans would be honest and not try to be something they clearly aren't.
You havent been to very many then and/or you are not being very honest yourself. Jesus is cited at plenty of those other sporting events.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,461 times
I'm an atheist and it doesn't bother me. Why would it? It a prayer and I'm in the minority. It doesn't offend me, it's a private event and I respect the owners f the sport enough to allow them to make the decisions they desire at their event.

However, I would never go to a NASCAR race. Not because of a prayer, but because watching cars go around a circle is simply I appealing to me. I don't care for NASCAR, I like the more technical and complicated racing like Formula 1.

I attend local stock car races sometimes though and those start with a prayer. It doesn't bother me, if people find comfort in it or want to do it that's fine. If I don't agree with it I simply don't participate.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:24 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
Anyone of any faith can easily enjoy a Nascar race, whether or not there is a prayer before it starts. They can even avoid it altogether by not tuning in until the green flag time. The prayer and pomp and circumstances take place well before the green flies.

No, of course it isn't the NFL for ratings or viewership, but they are the top rated racing series and have a decent national following. Plus a lot of money flows through there too. We are not talking about an equivalent to minor league baseball or the defunct XFL here.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:59 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,522 times
I am a NASCAR fan and a Christian and I find it refreshing in this PC world to actually hear the word "Jesus" and see and hear a prayer before a sporting event on TV!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
I can see it now- Jesus cuddled up in a comfortable chair made of clouds with a beer in his hand looking down and watching the car cars go round and round- absurd. "Dear GOD...please let me win" I would imagine that God and his son might find sport of any kind a trivial event to say the least.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I can see it now- Jesus cuddled up in a comfortable chair made of clouds with a beer in his hand looking down and watching the car cars go round and round- absurd. "Dear GOD...please let me win" I would imagine that God and his son might find sport of any kind a trivial event to say the least.
Apparently God and His Son Jesus have been listening to Jimmie Johnson...

Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 AM

209 posts, read 304,399 times
Quote:
I wish NASCAR would just be honest and stop trying to be the 5th major sport because it clearly isn't. It's not trying to appeal to everyone. I wish they would just be honest. It's clearly a niche event that appeals to a certain demographic alone.
Their television ratings are higher than MLB, the NBA and the NHL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing