Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:39 AM

653 posts, read 744,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
I think he just wants to force a good settlement. They took his father in law's money and then pretended the contract didn't exist. Contracts have been a joke in F1 for far too long and it was about time a party took serious action. It looks like they are going to settle it in a matter of hours, because otherwise the team will (rightfully) be found in contempt of court and could see their assets seized in Australia. It's a shame it had to come to this, but Sauber have only themselves to blame.
I agree with this; no matter what, Sauber needs to fulfill what he has paid for.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 10:27 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,531 times
Quote:
I think he just wants to force a good settlement. They took his father in law's money and then pretended the contract didn't exist. Contracts have been a joke in F1 for far too long and it was about time a party took serious action. It looks like they are going to settle it in a matter of hours, because otherwise the team will (rightfully) be found in contempt of court and could see their assets seized in Australia. It's a shame it had to come to this, but Sauber have only themselves to blame.
Sorry to say I didn't know the backstory. In any case, this should be dealt with in the courts, not AT the track. This whole mess of a start to the season gives me an uneasy feeling about the future of F-1.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:41 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Sauber is, indeed, a mess.

And I thought I had a realistic view of Honda's chances this season. Apparently I set the bar too high.
While it's extremely doubtful they'll compete for top 5 status I wouldn't count them out of becoming reasonably competitive by the end of the season. Personally I'm hoping the Williams cars have been tweaked enough make Lewis and Nico work hard at earning their keep this season.

And next year?

Go HAAS!

Old 03-13-2015, 01:24 PM

5,467 posts, read 8,192,532 times
Quote:
Personally I like the engine formula they are using, not because it's green but because it seems to be attracting manufacturers, such as Honda. The sport has to be relevant for manufacturers or else we'll end up with the privateers only. .....
Mercedes definitely said and Renault reportedly said that they would drop out of F1 if it used old engine technology. Honda never would have reentered.

There have always been people at car companies that want to go racing. They have always had difficulty explaining to the boards of directors and the stockholders why it makes financial sense to do so.

The excuse has always been “what we learn from racing helps us develop and improve the road cars that we sell every day.†(Today, this will only work if the race cars use “advanced†technology.)

This excuse has always been 99% B.S.

You don't need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars every year, flying weird looking cars with huge crews to every corner of the earth, paying drivers fabulous sums so they can live in Monte Carlo and buy diamond ear studs, etc., etc., to improve your road cars. Every major car company has skilled engineers to design and develop their road cars – they have test tracks to test them in real world conditions, much more real than F1 tracks – they have computer controlled dynamometers to carefully test and analyze components, and so on.

Heck, Mercedes F1 cars, engines and all, aren't even designed and built in Germany. It's all done in Motorsport Valley in England.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:32 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Sorry to say I didn't know the backstory. In any case, this should be dealt with in the courts, not AT the track. This whole mess of a start to the season gives me an uneasy feeling about the future of F-1.
It is being dealt with in the courts (Switzerland and Australia plus the appeal in Australia) and Sauber has lost every round.

I though Buxton said during the FP1 broadcast that the other problem was the van der Garde doesn't have a valid F1 license, which would mean he can't race for reasons other than contractual?

Hmm, well, Qualy in 7 hours, we'll see then.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:35 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
Hmmm, that was... sad. 11 cars running at the finish. If one more car had dropped out, Honda would have gotten a default point, despite being more than 2 laps down.

Vettel must be feeling relieved, points and podiums again a possibility, if probably not that top step. Great job by the youngsters, Nasr and Sainz, and Verstappen did well.

To paraphrase Hobbs: "Yes, all these young lions at the peak of courage, condition and reflex. Not yet peak mental powers, which is why the military is so fond of them."

Old 03-15-2015, 02:20 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,197,160 times
I think the 2015 season is almost not worth watching. Mercedes is too dominant, more so than Red Bull and Vettel ever were. McLaren ended up two laps behind Mercedes. Only 11 cars finished the race.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:41 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,853,356 times
Yeah others need to step up big time - I can see Hamilton winning by a bigger distance from Rosberg this season also.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:02 PM

5,467 posts, read 8,192,532 times
Something has to be done. If not, Mercedes will dominate until the current engine formula expires (2020?)

Unless there is a crash or mechanical failure, every race will have the same top two finishers as today, usually with Hamilton winning.

Already last year TV viewership was down. It's probably going to be worse this year. Even here: 2013 F1 thread, 584 posts. 2014 thread, 229.

Red Bull is threatening to leave F1.

If I were a spectator at today's race, I would demand a partial refund.

When the present engine/power unit formula was mandated it was assumed that things would be like before – the engines would be similar regardless of manufacturer and after a few tweaks they would all put out essentially the same power.

They didn't foresee that the Mercedes engine designers would have unique idea on how to turbocharge the engine – separate the exhaust driven turbine and the compressor. This gives them a big horsepower advantage, and even a handling advantage due to better aerodynamics. In case you haven't seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBB2F6IutQ

Because of the engine design freeze regulations, Mercedes will always have this advantage. Everybody has to use their original basic engine design.

In the past, when the clever engineers at Red Bull created aerodynamic “tricks” to give them an advantage, everybody else was free to copy what they did. (Actually, the FIA outlawed most of them.)

I feel sorry for the TV announcers – somehow they have to make the races seem exciting – the nail-biting battle for the final point – or screaming with excitement when Sainz was passing Perez for 10th place (or was it the other way around, I was dozing off.)

Last year they sometimes tried to make us think that Hamilton/Rosberg rivalry is like the famous Senna/Prost rivalry.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Hamilton and Rosberg are boring personalities. Senna (especially) and Prost were not.

Nico Rosberg might be a nice guy, but you might have a hard time spotting him an a lineup.

Hamilton, in spite of his diamond ear studs, heavy gold chains and multiple tattoos is still boring. Now that he is free maybe he should date Kourtney Kardashian (the smart sister). He would probably fit in with that crowd.

Last edited by karlsch; 03-15-2015 at 03:24 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 03:35 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,853,356 times
It isn't there fault (Mercedes) they are better team than the rest! They need to get their finger out and catch up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing