Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:19 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
The rules didn't prevent Red Bull's competitors from copying what they were doing. Of course, in the end, they didn't have to - they just complained a lot and the FIA outlawed many of Red Bull's innovative aerodynamic tricks.
Maybe, but now I read Bernie suggests freezing the Mercedes engine while unfreezing all others. One of the big challenges in racing is to outdo your competitors, I don't believe you should be punished for doing so. Showing his bias I didn't hear Bernie calling for rules changes to allow competitors to catch up when Ferrari was so dominant during the Schumacher era. This shouldn't be like the older era in NASCAR when the starting point was a production 'body in white' which the ruling body routinely made rules changes over in attempts to equalize manufacturers' performance, in F1 every, team has the same starting point, a blank sheet of paper. Whatever the rules, they should apply to every team, not selected teams in an attempt at equalization. If they really think equalization should be by rule just make it a spec series and watch how quickly interest fades in both manufacturers and fans.

Last edited by burdell; 03-17-2015 at 04:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 04:54 AM

281 posts, read 327,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
The rules didn't prevent Red Bull's competitors from copying what they were doing. Of course, in the end, they didn't have to - they just complained a lot and the FIA outlawed many of Red Bull's innovative aerodynamic tricks.
They were innovative, and illegal. Or against the spirit of the rules. That's why the other teams didn't copy them and that's why they were banned. Flexible wings, holes in the floor, changing the engine mapping were all against the rules.

Red Bull are a bunch of crybabies.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:53 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
I think the rumor going around the paddock (according to Will Buxton, anyway) is that Red Bull bought Renault's IP - but for 2016, not 2015. I suspect a chunk of Horner's frustration is with Renault and the amount of money and development time Renault is putting into the engines.

And teams, other than the factory teams, only start with a "clean sheet of paper" for chassis designs - the engines are built by Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari and now Honda again. So you have 10 or 11 teams and only 4 engine builders. More engine manufacturers would help the series (although probably increase the cubic dollars being spent on the sport) and with the massive changes last year it just seems like a ridiculously small amount of testing time. We've lost Ford Cosworth, BRM, Judd, Lamborghini, Porsche, BMW, Yamaha, Toyota over the last 20 years or so.

I really don't want to see F1 become Indy car, with a spec chassis and 2 flavors of engine, but we are headed that way.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:46 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,196,027 times
Tough love for F1 in Australia

Sky Sports F1's Martin Brundle reviews a tough weekend for F1 in Australia - and for all those who love the sport.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:01 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,192,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Tough love for F1 in Australia

Sky Sports F1's Martin Brundle reviews a tough weekend for F1 in Australia - and for all those who love the sport.
Brundle says essentially the same thing I said in post #39:

"Where Red Bull excelled and stretched the rules with items such as blown diffusers, engine software and floppy low front wings, other teams could copy given time, as has always happened with technical advantages such as Brawn GP had with double diffusers. But current engine performance variations could well be set in stone for several years, ......."

Unless major changes are made to the rules restricting engine development, Ferrari and Honda and Renault will never be able to close the performance gap.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I think the rumor going around the paddock (according to Will Buxton, anyway) is that Red Bull bought Renault's IP - but for 2016, not 2015. I suspect a chunk of Horner's frustration is with Renault and the amount of money and development time Renault is putting into the engines.

And teams, other than the factory teams, only start with a "clean sheet of paper" for chassis designs - the engines are built by Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari and now Honda again. So you have 10 or 11 teams and only 4 engine builders. More engine manufacturers would help the series (although probably increase the cubic dollars being spent on the sport) and with the massive changes last year it just seems like a ridiculously small amount of testing time. We've lost Ford Cosworth, BRM, Judd, Lamborghini, Porsche, BMW, Yamaha, Toyota over the last 20 years or so.

I really don't want to see F1 become Indy car, with a spec chassis and 2 flavors of engine, but we are headed that way.
I agree, I don't want to see another spec car series. To me, F1 without innovation is no longer F1
. I'm not a believer that number of cylinders or redline should be determined by rule, let the engineers determine what they can do best and get to live. I'd like to see minimum weight, maximum displacement, a fuel allowance, a reduction in aero influence on performance, and let the designers/engineers have at it.

If they're going to punish an engine or chassis manufacturer for doing their job better than anyone else, the series has no future. I'd like to see the freeze listed for all teams but believe the suggestion (by Bernie?) that it be lifted for everyone but Mercedes was inane.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:35 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
For the US crowd who watch on NBCSN:

Malaysian Grand Prix
(all times Eastern. I think. Better check.)

Friday 3/27 2:00 AM Practice (Live)
Sat 3/28 1:30 AM Practice (not live - maybe a repeat?)
Sat 3/28 5:00 AM Qualifying (Live)
Sun 3/29 2:30 AM Race (Live)

Really, NBCSN, what can't you say which practice it is? 1, 2, 3? And whether it is a repeat or not?

Old 03-23-2015, 10:41 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,836,728 times
F1 is all about the cars...drivers are secondary...very boring....Schumacher/Ferrari....Vettel/Red Bull...now Hamilton/Mercedes.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
F1 is all about the cars...drivers are secondary...very boring....Schumacher/Ferrari....Vettel/Red Bull...now Hamilton/Mercedes.
I'd say Vettel vs. Ricciardo last year says drivers can and do make a difference.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:29 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I wouldn't go that far. I'm pretty sure no one other than Alonso could have contested the 2012 title in that Ferrari. I'm also pretty sure that Webber wouldn't have been the champion in that year in that same Red Bull, and he would have probably lost the 2011 one too, if Vettel didn't exist..

Is it more about the car than in most other categories? Absolutely. Probably only LMP1 at WEC and WRC have a similar driver/car importance ratio, but we have a lot of spec series already, no need to make F1 another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing