Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times

Advertisements

How many quarts does the Mitsubishi take? It may take a lot of quarts for some reason. A friend who works as a VW dealer tech once said one of their engines (W8 or W12, can't remember which) took nine quarts and required synthetic for the warranty coverage.

Oil changes must be cheaper here in SE MI. I get 4.5 quarts of real oil and a filter and it's never over $25 for my truck. It's cheap enough for me to get it done every 3000 miles. (Synthetic is $50 at the absolute most and maybe less, your choice of Syn-Power, Syntec, or M1.) My wife got suckered into blend back when the car was new, and the 10 minute places want $40 or so for that, but the Firestones here use Kendall GT-1 semi-synthetic as the bulk oil, and there's usually a coupon on the back of a supermarket receipt, so that car's done for $26 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
dont go to the dealer for oil changes, they will rape you on the labor cost. and not only for the oil and filter prices as well, but dont forget that every shop around the country charges for disposing of the old oil, some more than others, and some will build the disposal fee into the cost of the oil itself.

either do the changes yourself, or go to an independent shop like grease monkey(i recommend you stay away from jiffy lube though).

Old 06-22-2011, 09:49 PM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
dont go to the dealer for oil changes, they will rape you on the labor cost. and not only for the oil and filter prices as well, but dont forget that every shop around the country charges for disposing of the old oil, some more than others, and some will build the disposal fee into the cost of the oil itself.

either do the changes yourself, or go to an independent shop like grease monkey(i recommend you stay away from jiffy lube though).
Those big oil change service chains are con artists. Jiffy Lube is bad but EZ Lube is the absolute WORST! Talk about intense upselling pressure!

I fully agree with the advice to take your car to an independent mechanic for oil changes. Mine charges only $20 (but all he does is change the oil and filter). He's also very honest and I'm very happy with the work he does.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
I buy a 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart for $28, my filters run $6, and I go to a shop that charges $15 for the labor.

$50 is not too bad I guess, I could do it myself but I can't find jack stands that are low-profile enough. I need a darn pit like they've got at Jiffy Lube lol.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 AM

24,469 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:

$19.95 + tax at my dealer with a car wash.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:12 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
There is no general correct answer with regard to where to get your oil changed.

At the little Chrysler dealership in my hometown the mechanics did the oil changes. They were both ASE certified, fully up-to-date on Chrysler training, and would take service bulletins home to read on their own time. When they had your car on the rack they would look for any potential problems and let you know about them, especially if the car was under warranty. They charged $29.95 for dino with a Mopar filter (I think other brands got Wix), which included greasing the chassis and topping off the fluids.

The Ford dealership across the street had a "quick lube" in a separate building from the garage where they changed the oil, topped off the fluids, and greased the chassis for a reasonable price, but it was all done by the same dropout who washed the cars and probably wouldn't notice if there was a hole in the side of your oil pan.

Down the street was an independent garage run by a very reputable mechanic where you normally would get a full service job at a good price. One day he had to go on a wrecker call in the middle of an oil change so he asked his grease monkey, who was doing an oil change in the next bay, to finish up for him. Unfortunately that guy, who wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, somehow switched the oil filters around and the shop wound up having to buy one of the customers a new engine.

And in the next town was a chain store "Quick Lube" oil change place which I would normally avoid due to past experiences with stripped threads, loose filters, etc, but when this one opened it was run by a guy who was the fleet manager for a trucking firm for many years. He ran a tight ship and I heard of no complaints while that guy was in charge. But a couple of years ago I was passing through and needed an oil change and someone new was running the place. They were dumfounded because my grease zerks - the ones installed by the factory - are bigger than standard and they apparently only have one size head for their grease gun, so they couldn't grease it. He suggested I have my grease zerks changed out for smaller ones; I wanted to suggest maybe this would be a good place for a decent oil change shop, but I held my tongue.

I usually prefer to do it myself, both for the cost savings and for the peace of mind of knowing that everything is done right. But I don't like crawling under the car with a grease gun, and I don't like to do it in the winter (I have to do it outside on the ground), so once a year I take it to a local mechanic who gives it the whole works and checks everything else underneath for $30.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:57 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
dont go to the dealer for oil changes, they will rape you on the labor cost.
Gotta love those broad statements
I buy my own oil (mobile 1) and filter and the dealer does the work, costs me about 15 bucks or so. People capable of developing a relationship with a quality dealer will be quite happy using them.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Yeah unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) it's almost never worth the hassle to change your own oil.

A dino oil change is about +/-$5

A synth change is about +$15-$30

So...

However anything but oil changes is worth working on your own, if you have the tools and know how.
Where in the world do you come from? We can't even buy the oil for that.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:57 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Where in the world do you come from? We can't even buy the oil for that.
I think he's saying that that's how much you save doing it yourself, not that that's what he pays to have it done.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:40 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Oh maybe. I am x tech and still do all or everything on my own. I just can't buy oil enough at that price. i maintain vehicals and machines not mine, but these are at my use for the whim if it, and did 3 oil and filter just last week a another the week before and I'm still not done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive