Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:20 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times

Advertisements

I had the oil changed , no synthetic, the car washed and waxed and detailed for just under $ 60 but I gave a $5 tip in their jar. A usual oil change runs about $ 30 with a free basic car wash included. Synthetic would cost more but with a car thats over 10 years old and nothing fancy I don't need it. I do top off the oil myself with a high mileage synthetic as needed but thats never very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 06:34 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,279 times
I question the manhood of any guy who doesn't know how to do basic maintenance like oil changes. Are those guys afraid to break their nails or something?? The only excuse you have is if you lived in an apt, otherwise grow some balls and do it yourself.

Anyway I enjoy changing the oil so I do it on my cars, my gfs' cars, my sibling's car. I was even gonna do it for my neighbor, who is this old lady, but I decided not to because if the car developed a problem later, like getting a flat tire, she'll probably blame the last person who worked on it (me). The last oil change I did was my gf's Toyota. It took 15 minutes start to finish, including clean up, and cost $12 total. It would have taken 1-1.5 hrs door-to-door to go to an express lube place. I told her it cost $20 to make her feel guilty and get my reward

Old 06-25-2011, 06:37 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I question the manhood of any guy who doesn't know how to do basic maintenance like oil changes.
I question ones self image when he thinks changing your oil is a sign of manhood

Old 06-25-2011, 07:36 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I question the manhood of any guy who doesn't know how to do basic maintenance like oil changes. Are those guys afraid to break their nails or something?? The only excuse you have is if you lived in an apt, otherwise grow some balls and do it yourself.

Anyway I enjoy changing the oil so I do it on my cars, my gfs' cars, my sibling's car. I was even gonna do it for my neighbor, who is this old lady, but I decided not to because if the car developed a problem later, like getting a flat tire, she'll probably blame the last person who worked on it (me). The last oil change I did was my gf's Toyota. It took 15 minutes start to finish, including clean up, and cost $12 total. It would have taken 1-1.5 hrs door-to-door to go to an express lube place. I told her it cost $20 to make her feel guilty and get my reward
I question the manhood of any guy who steals $8.00 from his own girlfriend, brags about it, and then makes her feel guilty, and then gets some kind of reward (good boy, here's your treat!). Kinda like what I do for my dog. Now that's a real man.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:44 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Well, I paid for my oil change... $83... got Mobil 1 synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter...

Old 06-25-2011, 09:31 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
I question the manhood of any guy who steals $8.00 from his own girlfriend, brags about it, and then makes her feel guilty, and then gets some kind of reward (good boy, here's your treat!). Kinda like what I do for my dog. Now that's a real man.
Post of the day!

I don't change my own because that involves investing in a special wrench, jackstands, and one of those thingies that holds the waste oil, and then I have to go get rid of the oil. Besides, I have to store all the aforementioned items, where, I don't know. I know how to do it but never have done it. It's a lot like barbecue, another kindasorta hobby of mine. A rack of baby back ribs, plus dry rib and/or sauce, a $150 smoker grill (and that's cheap for one of those), a lot of charcoal (not to mention I'm afraid of fire), and six hours to smoke isn't all that much cheaper than going to a restaurant.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:50 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
I asked a dealer what it costs to do an oil change and they said over $80
Quote:
I did ask and they said only the oil change and filter which I mentioned and that's it...
Thats more than the Lexus Dealership charges on my GX. For $70 I get the oill/filter, fluid check and top offs, tire rotation, check alignment, 24-point inspection, basic car wash, light vacuuming including cleaning the filter in my dashboard and collected debris and then spraying it with new car smell spray. also while sitting in the Hotel style waiting room they have a coffee with mixed flavors available, tea, soda ,bottled water and free snacks. And to top it off an Ipad to play with while I wait.

Thats more than the GM Dealership charges on my Avalanche. For $35 I get the oill/filter, fluid check and top offs, tire rotation, 10-point inspection, basic car wash. Their waiting room looks like a step down from the bus station. Free coffee and the TV stuck on some car racing channel with no remote in site.

Quote:
I don't change my own because that involves investing in a special wrench, jackstands, and one of those thingies that holds the waste oil, and then I have to go get rid of the oil.
I agree. But as we get older there are other things we prefer to do with our time than save a few bucks and then deal with the clean up afterwards.

If this were the days of my K5 Blazer in the 70's than it would be a non issue.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:38 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
I have the idea he's out 12 bucks and got his earning in trade

In that line you sure don't get much for 12 bucks....... (evil grin)

Old 08-21-2011, 06:53 AM

5 posts, read 66,937 times
I run a 100% pure synthetic 0w30 motor oil and a 25,000 mile oil filter in my 01 Ford Taurus. The cost is $62.05 plus tax and shipping. I do it all myself and get dealer prices. Retail is $80.60 plus tax and shipping. 15,000 mile oil changes, 190,000 miles and the engine is as clean as a new car. I change it myself so that I know exactly what is going into my car.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
The only time I take my cars to the dealer is if I have an unusual engine or electrical problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive