Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:27 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,601,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
When I bought my last new car, a 2015 Toyota, they tried to sell me something like that. I figured if I wanted to do it myself, with a name brand polish, it would have cost a couple hundred dollars over the years. "Oh no, this is much better than your (name brand) treatment. And when you trade it in, you'll get most of that back, because we know your paint will be much better." Of course I said no. I also said no to their super-duper fabric protection, their free windshield replacement and a bunch of other stuff.

I did take the life insurance for my loan, because I have trouble getting life insurance, but it was later denied due to my age. (I was 69 at the time, and they told me they couldn't sell it to anyone over age 65, iirc.) They also offered all kinds of extended warranties at that time.

It wasn't even offered by my car salesman. Instead, they had an "expert" that I had to listen to after the deal was made. Everything would be added into my loan, so each item was only a minimal monthly amount. It was mostly bull. I did take an extended warranty for my traction battery, because I figured I'd be trading/selling the car at around 65K-100K and that a new owner would be concerned about high mileage on the expensive Prius battery. I'm still driving the car, now with over 100K miles on it, and I might continue driving it for another 100K miles. (It's been a great, totally trouble-free car!)

I used to do some consulting to auto dealers.

I knew some dealers who literally would make a minimal profit, under $300/vehicle. But, they would make $2-2500 in "the box" as the "finance managers" are known. In fact, they would sell the new vehicle under cost if a good trade and full blown finance were involved. Full blown means, extended warranties, full finance, undercoat, nitrogen tires, paint protection, etching etc. etc. Most of that was pure fluff, with inane profit margins. The car salesman would get paid a "mini", which may be as low as $75 to sell that car, but the "finance manager" would do very well. I've known many who make close to $175 K.

So, yeah, that extra stuff you definitely don't need. The only one that make sense, if it's available, is the one that pays off your car if you lose your job, but read the fine print.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 07:48 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,924,846 times
Proof of the old saying, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Old 11-16-2018, 08:08 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,864,183 times
I just had my one Mustang detailed, and they did it inside and out, and hand washed and hand waxed the entire body. Even cleaned inside the aluminum wheels. They did a fantastic job and it only cost me $122.00 plus a $20 tip. This was the first waxing since I had the car painted a year ago, and it is so slippery now that I put sheets over it and they kept sliding off.

So, I can not imagine what someone would get for $3K. My paint job was only a little more than that.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:07 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,681,372 times
Living in Minnesota, with many a rusted car, I did take the dealer up on paint protection. It was about $800 for exterior paint protection, interior stain guard, and an undercarriage protection. There is a 10-year warranty against rust (anywhere on the car) or other defects in paint due to normal use. They gave me all these official-looking documents regarding the 10-year warranty. Maybe I got ripped off, but a no-rust guarantee for 10 years seemed like a good risk to take at the time. Still nowhere close to $3k.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:16 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,073,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Living in Minnesota, with many a rusted car, I did take the dealer up on paint protection. It was about $800 for exterior paint protection, interior stain guard, and an undercarriage protection. There is a 10-year warranty against rust (anywhere on the car) or other defects in paint due to normal use. They gave me all these official-looking documents regarding the 10-year warranty. Maybe I got ripped off, but a no-rust guarantee for 10 years seemed like a good risk to take at the time. Still nowhere close to $3k.
Was the salesman's name Jerry Lundegaard? "I'm just sayin', that Trucoat…."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2LLB9CGfLs

Old 11-16-2018, 09:38 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,681,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Was the salesman's name Jerry Lundegaard? "I'm just sayin', that Trucoat…."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2LLB9CGfLs

How did you find that video of me?

Still not $3k though...

Last edited by TXRunner; 11-16-2018 at 09:51 PM..

Old 11-17-2018, 03:18 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,432,600 times
They tried to sell me that also when i leased a vehicle a couple weeks ago i said no because it’s a lease dummy it’s not my vehicle. The only thing i did purchase was the wheel protection because living in metro Detroit there are allot of pot holes so it covers broken rims and tires. One rim replacement will cover the cost of the price of the tire and rim replacement warranty. My payment only went up a little over $20 a month. And with all the pot holes in the spring it’s well worth the peace of mind.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:44 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,073,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
How did you find that video of me?
Still not $3k though...
All good, I thought maybe you were sneaking in a reference to "Fargo" when you made the post. Don't feel bad, I've bought some extended warranties in my time, and I don't think any one of them has paid for itself. I guess one is probably paying for peace of mind, and there is some relief in not having to wonder if the service dept. is ripping you off - when you're under warranty, you just hand them the car and say "fix it", and that's worth something. I've still got eighteen months to go on the Caravan's warranty, and well, "Dodge" - it may still prove itself to have been a good decision. Although, the van has been very trouble free in the first sixty thousand miles.

The one I bought for my last car (2005 Ford Expedition) recouped about half the cost on repairs after the 36,000 mile factory warranty expired. But two thousand miles after the extended warranty expired (77,000 miles), the throttle body puked out at a cost of $1700, completely on me. And, I sold the truck some months after that to a friend, and while driving down an interstate, he noticed the back window seemed "really dirty". That's when the engine rpm spun way up, it turned out a trans cooler line had rusted through and dumped the lube down I-57, and burned up the transmission. While otherwise a great vehicle, the Expy left me with a bad taste in my mouth for Ford reliability. And that doesn't count the paint that peeled off the aluminum hood and tailgate, and Ford wouldn't cover it because it wasn't "corrosion related". I left it unrepaired to show other prospective new car buyers that "Quality is (no longer) Job One" at Ford. What in the Hell happened to American automakers, anyway?

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 11-17-2018 at 08:57 AM..

Old 11-17-2018, 01:02 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,441,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
Person lives in the mid-west. Originally says this was warranty issue (with paint) and now says dealer "made" them get this paint protection package otherwise "paint would peel". Twice a year they go in for this service. I am completely baffled by this and it sounds completely impossible. Secondly, I can't believe this person fell for this crap. Anyway, doubt much can be done after two years but does this sound reasonable to anyone? I read online that it might be $200 an application so no idea how they could inflate it so much. thanks for any insight.
You don't "have" to buy the car!

Old 11-17-2018, 01:06 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,774,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
You don't "have" to buy the car!
Absolutely true. But the sales crew at a dealership is so adept at keeping people locked down until they give into any foolishness just to get home for dinner that some forget they aren't under any obligation.

One of the most powerful 'sales manager' arguments being, "What, you want to do this all over again next week?"

A scum industry populated entirely by scum indoctrinated in scum tactics - even if the suits are tailored, the coffee fresh ground and the marque lofty. I fail to understand why we put up with this crap, year after decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive