Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 02:11 PM

641 posts, read 1,079,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
You don't "have" to buy the car!
"That 'Trucoat' is installed at the factory, there's nothing we can do.."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 02:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,469,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
"That 'Trucoat' is installed at the factory, there's nothing we can do.."
My *****.

Just a reiteration of the "First Place Finish". Remember these stickers?

Old 11-17-2018, 02:49 PM

24,922 posts, read 9,670,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
What type of car is it? I know lots of exotic owners ceramic coat there car, not it has nothing to do with stoping the paint from pealing. It just helps the car stay clean
It helps to protect the paint and makes the color look shiny, that's about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Proof of the old saying, "There's a sucker born every minute."
That's exactly right, unless the car is a Ferrari, one doesn't need all this stupid stuff. And it needs to be a rare Ferrari (or similar rare vehicle) too.

Ofcourse anyone is free to waste their money of baby their car as much as they like, but they're not impressing anyone nor saving the depreciation. It's going to depreciate so just use it and have your fun with it. It's not a vintage rare supercar that will appreciate one day.

Last edited by Rocko20; 11-17-2018 at 02:59 PM..

Old 11-17-2018, 03:14 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,850,481 times
They talked me into the Auto Butler service for my last truck. I don’t remember the cost of it, but I took the truck back to the dealer every six months to have it applied. What they don’t tell you, is that it takes several hours for them to do it, and since the dealer is 45 minutes away, I ended up spending a half a day there every time I’d have it done. It did work, because the water would bead up the entire 6 months, it was just aggravating having to schedule it and all that BS.

And after all that, some idiot on his phone rear ended me and totaled it.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:29 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,827,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They talked me into the Auto Butler service for my last truck. I don’t remember the cost of it, but I took the truck back to the dealer every six months to have it applied. What they don’t tell you, is that it takes several hours for them to do it, and since the dealer is 45 minutes away, I ended up spending a half a day there every time I’d have it done. It did work, because the water would bead up the entire 6 months, it was just aggravating having to schedule it and all that BS.
I suspect it simply took several hours for shop rotation to get around to it. That, or there was a long drying/penetration/wait cycle in there. A full wash, hand-wax and detail rarely takes longer than an hour or so.

You can buy equivalent stuff, even pay a premium for it if you like, and either do it yourself or have a local car wash do it for you, on your schedule, for very likely a fraction of the cost.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:11 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,640,040 times
There is only one dealer installed option for me.

https://youtu.be/hq0mUxRKHQY

Old 11-17-2018, 04:30 PM

475 posts, read 1,375,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

And after all that, some idiot on his phone rear ended me and totaled it.
Yes, it must have been something similar to this because this friend has to do the same thing and it's very inconvenient. And the dealer uses the opportunity to tell them about other potential issues like replacing the air-filter.

Anyway, not an exotic car, but a typical $25k sedan. Last time I suggest an affordable well-reviewed car to anyone, not knowing what a bunch of crooks are around! Had I known about it at the time I would advised to go elsewhere as well. But like some have suggested, they read signs that they "got you" and know how to work it. At least the friend had their own financing! Thanks all. (I'm still convinced they are exaggerating the price because I just can't believe it.)

Old 11-17-2018, 06:36 PM

11,124 posts, read 5,636,587 times
This sounds like those legendary $5. hammers that the Air Force bought for $500.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:44 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,827,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This sounds like those legendary $5. hammers that the Air Force bought for $500.
Yes, the ones that met a 300-page spec driven by federal law and military regulation.

It's just a sales scam. One of many. We so badly need regulation of the industry to bring it out of this back-alley drug-deal (with mugging) model.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:54 PM

13,009 posts, read 18,991,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yes, the ones that met a 300-page spec driven by federal law and military regulation.

It's just a sales scam. One of many. We so badly need regulation of the industry to bring it out of this back-alley drug-deal (with mugging) model.
Fat chance, that industry has politicians in its pocket. In Texas you can't buy a Tesla, not because of oil industry opposition to electric cars but because Tesla refuses to sell through dealers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive