Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,814 times

Advertisements

A movie that came out 2 yrs ago I never saw it but would like to.
Who Killed the Electric Car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
I don't know about the movie but the electric car isn't dead, it's waiting for practical, environmentally friendly, economical battery technology. Nothing yet comes even close to the energy density/cost of good ol' gasoline.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:08 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,453 times
Burdell summed it up perfectly.....

BTW...that film? was the topic on a thread here sometime ago...I actually watched the entire thing as did many others....it's a documentary of the type where the conclusion was formed before any investigation/reporting was done. Lots and lots of finger pointing but no actaul science behind all the conspiracy claims....typical.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Burdell got it right. The lead acid battery is just too heavy for the energy stored. I have heard that some of the new hybrids are using Lithium-ion batteries with a plug-into-the wall socket to allow overnight recharge. This technology allows the best of both types of energy storage. Batteries recharged by the grid for local trips and petroleum fuel for longer distance. The ideal engine would be a turbocharged diesel properly loaded by either the energy requirements of the car and/or the battery. It could also be rigged to provide emergency power for your house if the power failed.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 AM

Default WHo killed the electric car

BTW...I checked...you can still watch the entire film if you want to for free

It's still on youtube in 11 parts
Here's a link to part one...or just do a Youtube search on "Who killed the electric car"

YouTube - Who Killed the Electric Car? (Part 1 of 11)

Follow the yellow brick road...............

Thank God we have expert opinion provided from the scientific /engineering communite such as Martin Sheen, Mel Gibson and that ole rocket scientist himself...Tom Hanks.

Beam me up Scotty.....

Old 05-15-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Burdell got it right. The lead acid battery is just too heavy for the energy stored. I have heard that some of the new hybrids are using Lithium-ion batteries with a plug-into-the wall socket to allow overnight recharge. This technology allows the best of both types of energy storage. Batteries recharged by the grid for local trips and petroleum fuel for longer distance. The ideal engine would be a turbocharged diesel properly loaded by either the energy requirements of the car and/or the battery. It could also be rigged to provide emergency power for your house if the power failed.

The Tesla Roadster uses over 6,000 Li-Ion batteries of the type used in lap-top computers. Anyone know if there's some technical reason(s) this type of battery cannot be made in larger units suitable for transportation use?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:47 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,238 times
There was no conspiracy behind crushing those cars. There was no spare parts infrastructure in place to support them for the life of the vehicle.

I'm really looking forward to the expected advances in electric generation and storage technology in the coming years. I'm hoping that Tesla can have their "sport sedan" *White Star* ready for market by the time I'm ready to replace my current car.

golfgod

Old 05-15-2008, 08:48 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,814 times
doesn't the tesla cost 100k?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
doesn't the tesla cost 100k?

I believe it's in the '90s but it's a start, I hope they do well. Not only is the technology currently (no pun intended ) expensive but the current quantity is so low there's no economy of scale.

Autos were very expensive before Henry Ford and others streamlined production methods, there's no reason something simililar can't happen with electrics.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The Tesla Roadster uses over 6,000 Li-Ion batteries of the type used in lap-top computers. Anyone know if there's some technical reason(s) this type of battery cannot be made in larger units suitable for transportation use?
Technically none that I know of ..but untill there's a clearly identifiable market for such a thing no company is going to gear up for mass production of a battery in a form factor that isn't in demand yet...

On the other hand, for anyone with a little bit on knowledge about "how things work" etc..... Remember one of the 1st rules of reliability

KISS...Keep it Simple Stupid !!

6000 individual cells joined together to power a practical? over the road ,all weather vehicle??.. Lets see ..that's at a minimum 12,000 electric connections just for the power pack...How'd you like to find the 4 or 5 cells that aren't performing up to stuff huh ??

No thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive