Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 AM

65 posts, read 142,931 times

Advertisements

Has anyone purchased an electric car from Tesla Motors? I'm leaning toward buying one, myself.

They're taking order reservations for their new Model S car which will be available in 2011. It costs around $49k and gets 300 miles per charge. A full charge takes about 45 mins. and it can be done from any standard outlet.

The Model S is the car I'm looking at. It's a nice looking 4 door sedan that seats 7 and has ample storage space. Plus, it's a really handsome looking car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
They are nice looking cars. In my opinion though I'd wait a couple years. Let them work out the kinks and see what kind of problems people run into (being stuck somewhere with no place to charge or even being allowed to charge). I'm not saying the electric cars are good or bad...just wait and see till they are proven. Now that I think about it, I'd actually wait about 5 yrs before I'd seriously consider buying one...not to mention price. I'm curious on the unknown maintenance on the batteries and other stuff we don't know about because I'm sure there is even though they say its virtually maintenance free because there's no need for oil changes anymore. Will we be able to change our own brakes if we can like on a Ford or Toyota or will we HAVE to bring it in for a $500 service job just for brakes? Like I said I don't know and I want to hear more about what the everyday person has to say about it....not these celebrities that are buying the car.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:11 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
I would LOVE to know how they expect a "standard" outlet to fully charge a battery pack that is large enough to power a vehicle 300 miles in only 45 minutes. That is a load of BS if they are talking the "standard" 15 or 20 amp 120 volt outlet. Simple physics dictates that you cannot gain that much power in that time frame from what everybody considers a standard outlet. They may be talking about an industry standard outlet with MUCH higher amperage and voltage.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:25 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Just downloaded their owners manual from the site. a 12 amp 120 volt recharge will take 40 hours (the ONLY option for charging with a 120 volt outlet.) The fastest charge is the 70 Amp 240 volt charge and that takes 4 hours. This can be found in their owners manual on page 5-2. which is page 35 of 115 when you are viewing it with a PDF reader.

Now if you do the math that highest/fastest charge will consume 16800 watts of electricity per hour which is 16.8 kilowatts/hour which means you will use 67.2 kilowatts of electricity to charge the vehicle enough to go maybe 300 miles (their own manual states "over 200 miles" and not the 300 mile figure). So splitting the difference between the hype and the manual figure 250 miles between charges. Average electrical charge (not including delivery charges) in the US is $0.1186 per kilowatt (Electric Power Monthly - Average Retail Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers by End-Use Sector, by State) which is $7.97 per charge. This is assuming 100% efficiency and zero loss which is not realistic but we'll run with it anyway to make the vehicle look better. Depending on your area and your power company, the delivery charges can be close to, or equal to, the actual electric rate. Even if it is 1/2; that works out to $11.96 per charge in order to go around 250 miles. At the average regular unleaded price of $2.637 a gallon (U.S. Retail Gasoline Prices) it is going to take a LONG time to see any payback on the premium for driving the vehicle. Plus you have to figure how is the electricity generated in your area and how the increase in electrical usage/generation is going to affect the environment for the whole picture.

Last edited by Bydand; 09-03-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

@Bydand, I'm unable to read their PDF file. I'm almost blind and use a screen reader. PDFs are not web accessible (e.g., a screen reader cannot read it).

I don't know that much about cars (ex husband always took care of that stuff). My Father is deceased, so I really don't know any "guys" to ask questions like this, of.

So really, any advice and/or information you guys have is very gratefully appreciated.

And now you're saying to yourselves ... umm ... she's nearly blind and is driving LOL. Well, not actually. I'd be buying the car but my sighted Mother that lives with me, would be driving it. My son and I would be passengers.

OK, so if you had $50k cash to buy any car with, what would you suggest? I don't want foreign crap. I want an American car built here in US auto factories. I've never owned a foreign car anyway, and probably never will either.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I would LOVE to know how they expect a "standard" outlet to fully charge a battery pack that is large enough to power a vehicle 300 miles in only 45 minutes. That is a load of BS if they are talking the "standard" 15 or 20 amp 120 volt outlet. Simple physics dictates that you cannot gain that much power in that time frame from what everybody considers a standard outlet. They may be talking about an industry standard outlet with MUCH higher amperage and voltage.
Exactly. It takes longer than that to charge the battery on my cordless Makita drill.

I'm looking forward to the day when there is a feasible, affordable, usable electric car that will be used by millions of people to commute to work every day.

But that day is not yet here.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving.Illinois View Post
OK, so if you had $50k cash to buy any car with, what would you suggest? I don't want foreign crap. I want an American car built here in US auto factories. I've never owned a foreign car anyway, and probably never will either.
Get a brand new Chevy Malibu LTZ. You can get one for around $25,000 (maybe less, considering how desperate dealers are). It is highly rated, and gets mid-30s for highway mileage.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:25 AM

@Omaha Rocks -- thanks, I'll check into it. I'm however, not that fond of Chevy's.
I do like Ford though, a lot.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving.Illinois View Post
@Omaha Rocks -- thanks, I'll check into it. I'm however, not that fond of Chevy's.
I do like Ford though, a lot.
Yeah. I think Ford has some really good vehicles in their lineup now.

They have their Escape Hybrid - a small SUV that would top out at about $35,000, and is supposed to get mid-30s for highway mileage.

2010 Ford Escape Hybrid | Official Site of the Ford Escape Hybrid | FordVehicles.com

Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the info. I had no idea Ford had one out already.

I've read that there's a shortage on the Earth minerals used in the production of electric cars, ipods, computer chips, etc. -- and that China has control of 95% of the only place in the world these minerals are found. So, it may become very hard for the US to even compete in that market.

However, I read another article last year on sciencedaily.com about a new product called graphiene that's supposed to conduct electricity near the speed of light.

They're hoping to be able to mass produce the product to power appliances and batteries with this new technology. I'll look up the article later today and post the link if any of you are interested to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive