Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 01:31 PM

45,518 posts, read 60,746,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Tow something with it and you might find the smaller engine does get worse gas mileage as it is working harder than it was designed to.
Not even just towing, both my F150s had/have sixes and my mileage is less than others with eights (and they're harder drivers than I am).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 01:42 PM

61,906 posts, read 87,406,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I had a 2003 (extended cab) and have currently a 2014 F150 (Crew Cab). They are, or were since my younger son totaled the 2003, the exact same length and width. The 2014 is taller due to it being lifted a bit to get rid of the transmission tunnel.
Maybe they have similar length and width (well, they need to somehow fit in standard garages), but we are talking about them being taller, much taller and with a big, square nose that obstructs visibility and more likely kills everything around.
The domed hoods are now at forehead level.
And a child has no chance against such behemoth.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-pickup-truck

That's one of the reasons why they won't be sold in Europe or in some other countries.

It seems that even in the US some cities might start to fights back against heavyweight cars. And I truly hope it becomes a trend. Although I think that increasing vehicle registration fees won't fix the problem. Most people will pay them no matter what, and such vehicles being more expensive to keep will make them even more of a status symbol to some.
even more
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ckups-and-suvs

Last edited by elnina; 08-22-2022 at 02:09 PM..

Old 08-22-2022, 01:42 PM

9,542 posts, read 4,369,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I remember when pickup trucks were used mainly for work instead of a status symbol, a major selling point was having a low loading height. Trucks then were easy to load and easy to get into and out of. Now, the most a truck usually hauls today is maybe groceries for a week and the oversized ego of the owner. It is utterly ridiculous that the full sized pickup truck is the best selling vehicle in the United States.
This. Exactly.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:03 PM

18,140 posts, read 25,330,929 times
People being idiots
Thinking that "the taller the truck, the safer"

Good luck when you are driving at high speed on a highway and you have to swerve around something on the road.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:07 PM

18,140 posts, read 25,330,929 times
Don't forget to mention how much space they take in parking lots

Old 08-22-2022, 02:12 PM

61,906 posts, read 87,406,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I remember when pickup trucks were used mainly for work instead of a status symbol, a major selling point was having a low loading height. Trucks then were easy to load and easy to get into and out of. Now, the most a truck usually hauls today is maybe groceries for a week and the oversized ego of the owner. It is utterly ridiculous that the full sized pickup truck is the best selling vehicle in the United States.
Show off, keeping up with the Joneses and because they can. Need is not taken into consideration.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:38 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,121,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is all about psychology of the pickup truck driver. You have that male ego and testosterone going. Can others have a bigger truck then you? NO. You need the biggest. It really is that simple. Oh there is more. So you have that big truck with that high bed in the back. You don't care, because you rarely use it if at all, but that super high bed is not nearly as functional as one that is lower so you don't need a damn ladder to get in it. They are way less functional. Try shoveling mulch out of a super high new truck bed. Sure you would be shoveling it at head height. That isn't doable really unless you are nearly 7' tall.

Let's face it. It is all about ego and testosterone, nothing more. It certainly isn't about functionality.
I have a truck similar to the one in the original picture: 2020 Chevy 3500 diesel. I traded in a GMC Canyon small truck. I drive a truck here in Idaho because one of our hobbies is rockhounding.... i.e. looking for pretty rocks. Most of the easy to get to rockhounding sites have long been depleted, so it's best to drive into the back country on some pretty sketchy roads, roads that OPs Mercedes sedans and Honda Civics don't travel on. The GMC Canyon was great for this, but we decided to buy a 5th Wheel RV after my wife survived a stroke, so we could setup easier closer to where we wanted to be. By getting the full-sized, four wheel drive, diesel truck we didn't need to worry much about ground clearance on sketchy roads, and we had a much wider choice of RVs to choose from. The diesel engine also makes towing over high passes with an RV much, much easier. Nothing to do about ego and testosterone. My wife picked out the truck and RV, since we were buying it to better accommodate her heath and physical restrictions. Plus the big diesel gets roughly the same MPG as the smaller gas GMC Canyon.

Plus, in OP's picture, it wouldn't matter how good of visibility you have up front. If you drive your Honda Civic or Chevy 3500 onto the sidewalk, you probably carry the same risk of hitting a pedestrian.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:58 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,121,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It sounds like a truck is a good fit for you and that's totally fine. But 90% of the pickup trucks I see around DFW probably don't do any of that kind of stuff.

Do you think the people who drive trucks like the one below are towing 5th wheel horse trailers, hauling job site equipment, or are doing anything on gravel roads?

This is a great example of what we call a "Hey, Look at Me" vehicle!! But, he's probably got a cute girlfriend that struggles to climb up inside, but still does to sit next to him in his glowing black truck. Then other guys see him and say: Damn, I need a big jacked up truck and I'll get a cutie too!!

Yes, this guy (could be a gal) likely never takes his truck off the pavement, especially in DFW... where would he go in a city like that? Plus, I'd guess it's a pain in the backside to keep that thing clean and shiny.

Still, he probably hasn't run over too many kids this week. Then again, I'm not sure I've heard of any kids getting run over by trucks lately.... or really ever.

Old 08-22-2022, 03:30 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,020,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I'll pose to you specifically the challenge I posted a bit upthread: Can you identify for me some other vehicle I can use to haul my family, tow my boat or RV, and/or tow the trailer and equipment needed to maintain my rural properties? If not, why should I care care about whatever self-soothing pop-psychobabble you can conjure up for why I'm driving it any more than I can do so for whatever sort of vehicle you drive?
A pickup is a great choice. Problem is the beds are stupid high. The front of new pickups are so selfish to everyone except the people in the truck, unless you care about others on the roads including that little kid crossing the street you can’t see. It is stupid, but men do get excited driving nearly a semi truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive