Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 09:42 AM

5,459 posts, read 6,058,580 times

Advertisements

Over twice as many cars are stolen in California (over 200K) compared to the next highest state totals, and California stolen vehicles amount to less than .06 percent of the registered vehicles in the state (over 31 million registered).

So, car thefts in general are not "rampant".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 11:45 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
I suppose if you lived somewhere theft is truly rampant, you could deter theft another way. Even if they could fool the car and start the engine, put another anti theft device on it so the thief can't move it (club, etc.).

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-21-2023 at 11:54 AM..

Old 11-21-2023, 12:14 PM

335 posts, read 154,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
So, car thefts in general are not "rampant".
Vehicle thefts are up 40% in Durham Region:

https://www.drps.ca/news/preventing-...Toronto%20Area.

The measures I previously mentioned are suggestions to prevent this kind of theft from happening. A couple months ago, three separate Ram pickups were stolen in my city in the same night. All three thieves were caught, and all three were from Montreal. It is very profitable to steal full size pickup trucks and ship them overseas to be sold in the Middle East and Africa. Hell, this was going on in the 70s in NYC where organized crime groups would pay $5000 cash for a stolen car. The infamous DeMeo Crew of the Gambino Crime Family (led by Roy DeMeo) was stealing 15 to 20 cars a night during this period. It is nothing new. Check out the book "Murder Machine" by Jerry Capeci and Gene Mustaine if you are interested.

I honestly find it surprising you have not heard of this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/auto-t...nada-1.6953242

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...cles-1.6728490

Old 11-21-2023, 03:03 PM

5,459 posts, read 6,058,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
Vehicle thefts are up 40% in Durham Region:

https://www.drps.ca/news/preventing-...Toronto%20Area.

The measures I previously mentioned are suggestions to prevent this kind of theft from happening. A couple months ago, three separate Ram pickups were stolen in my city in the same night. All three thieves were caught, and all three were from Montreal. It is very profitable to steal full size pickup trucks and ship them overseas to be sold in the Middle East and Africa. Hell, this was going on in the 70s in NYC where organized crime groups would pay $5000 cash for a stolen car. The infamous DeMeo Crew of the Gambino Crime Family (led by Roy DeMeo) was stealing 15 to 20 cars a night during this period. It is nothing new. Check out the book "Murder Machine" by Jerry Capeci and Gene Mustaine if you are interested.

I honestly find it surprising you have not heard of this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/auto-t...nada-1.6953242

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...cles-1.6728490

In 2021 (only stats I could find) there was less than .5% chance of your vehicle being stolen in NC.

Old 11-21-2023, 03:22 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,785,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I suppose if you lived somewhere theft is truly rampant, you could deter theft another way. Even if they could fool the car and start the engine, put another anti theft device on it so the thief can't move it (club, etc.).
The club is next to worthless, I've seen You tube videos where a club is easily defeated in a few seconds. If you are serious about adding an antitheft device, a kill switch for the fuel pump is the was to go.

Old 11-21-2023, 04:06 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
The club is next to worthless, I've seen You tube videos where a club is easily defeated in a few seconds. If you are serious about adding an antitheft device, a kill switch for the fuel pump is the was to go.
I've heard that there are ways to defeat the club. I had one for a car years ago. No one attempted to steal it but maybe that was because of the car, not the club . Guess it still serves as a deterrent. If the thief just wants a vehicle, they're more likely to target someone else's that isn't outfitted with one. I agree that a fuel kill switch would be much harder to defeat, especially if you park the car outdoors where you offer thieves an opportunity.

Old 11-21-2023, 05:13 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’ve seen some products that claim to block the key fob signal to help prevent vehicle theft. Some are a leather cover and some are a box. Is there any way for an average person to test to see if such products work at blocking the signal? Have you tried any of them?

Wife’s vehicle has push button start with key fob. Considering either a box or a leather pouch/cover for her fob.
Stop................Lets start with what kind of car?

Old 11-21-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Distance from the place in your kitchen you keep your keys to the car. It's not that difficult to pick up the keys from 20-30 feet away and boost the signal so the car thinks the keys are in the car. If you park in a locked garage/alarmed garage, that helps.

Depends on your car. It's hard enough to be targeted. I'd worry about a Charger, particularly a Hellcat version, as those are bonkers off the charts high rates of thefts. Crims love 'em whehter it's because the anti-theft immobilizers (still need to deal with that once you drive it away from the scene) are so primitive or because crims just love the V8 Chargers like they love nothing else.

https://www.iihs.org/media/c1cb9ff8-...heft_WT-22.pdf

Theft rates are nutters.
A charger/challenger ok I can see that.

A Kia Soul not so much.

I live in a very car oriented area, there are 4 new Porsche 911's on my block, 2 of which are in the garages nightly /the other two are parked on the curb. I'll worry about the two left outside before I worry about mine in the garage.

Old 11-22-2023, 03:50 AM

17,627 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
A charger/challenger ok I can see that.

A Kia Soul not so much.

I live in a very car oriented area, there are 4 new Porsche 911's on my block, 2 of which are in the garages nightly /the other two are parked on the curb. I'll worry about the two left outside before I worry about mine in the garage.
In some areas it isn’t the type of car, it’s the opportunity. Not all cars are stolen for chop shops or quick cash. Some are stolen for a vehicle to have to commit crimes instead of using one registered to themselves. Some are stolen just for a joy ride. Back in the 90s my uncle’s POS Isuzu sedan was stolen. Police found it abandoned the next day. Easy to find since it had a 2x4 wood for a front bumper.

Old 11-22-2023, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
In some areas it isn’t the type of car, it’s the opportunity. Not all cars are stolen for chop shops or quick cash. Some are stolen for a vehicle to have to commit crimes instead of using one registered to themselves. Some are stolen just for a joy ride. Back in the 90s my uncle’s POS Isuzu sedan was stolen. Police found it abandoned the next day. Easy to find since it had a 2x4 wood for a front bumper.
Ok but you are concerned about FOB code replication and that isn't opportunity theft like stealing a junk car with the keys in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive