Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 08:19 AM

16,556 posts, read 19,730,512 times

Advertisements

This is from 2020 but is still pretty interesting. Varies more then I thought it would.

https://www.nicb.org/sites/files/202...By%20State.pdf'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 09:11 AM

8,357 posts, read 6,446,227 times
What years did key fobs start to be used with push button start?

Old 12-04-2023, 10:11 AM

17,326 posts, read 12,279,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
What years did key fobs start to be used with push button start?
1997 with the Prius

And wow some part of me didn't realize the Prius was that old.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:22 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,788,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’ve seen some products that claim to block the key fob signal to help prevent vehicle theft. Some are a leather cover and some are a box. Is there any way for an average person to test to see if such products work at blocking the signal? Have you tried any of them?
I have not, but I'm interested in getting one. I keep my keys in a metal cup near my window, and I can still lock the car if I push the lock button when the keys are in cup, so it's obviously not blocking the signal. I find it difficult to believe anything leather would block the signal. As for testing it, I would think you could stick your hand in the box and press the lock/unlock button, if it still works, it's not blocking crap.

Old 12-31-2023, 09:05 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,788,467 times
So I received one of these boxes for Christmas, I had doubts it would work, it just looked like a leather box to me, but when I got into my SUV and placed the keys into the box, the car would not start, key fob not found. So i guess these do work. I now keep both sets of keys for my SUV in the box, when not using them.

Old 01-01-2024, 12:48 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,006,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I have not, but I'm interested in getting one. I keep my keys in a metal cup near my window, and I can still lock the car if I push the lock button when the keys are in cup, so it's obviously not blocking the signal. I find it difficult to believe anything leather would block the signal. As for testing it, I would think you could stick your hand in the box and press the lock/unlock button, if it still works, it's not blocking crap.
Farady pouch or Farady box.

Available retail at various retail sites such as A/mazon.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:34 AM

7,195 posts, read 9,339,263 times
Looks like the kids in LA have a new trick for stealing cars:

As Chevy Camaro thefts skyrocket more than 1000% in L.A., police unlock a secret of car thieves

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ith-clone-fobs

"The device is essentially a hand-held computer that enables the user to create a replacement smart key — using a new key fob — that can unlock Camaros and other vehicles, bypassing the vehicle’s existing security system, investigators said. Once the user punches in the make, model and year of the vehicle into the computer, it is then able to reprogram the car’s ignition system and generate a new or universal car key."

Just wait until they post that on Tik-tok and teach everybody how to do it.

Old 03-02-2024, 01:46 PM

11,361 posts, read 16,727,044 times
Get a Ravelco installed.

Even with a cloned key, without the Ravelco plug in place the car will not start. I've had 2 of them installed on my cars and they're hidden. So the criminals will have no idea why the car won't start.

https://www.ravelco.com/

Old 03-03-2024, 09:42 PM

6,753 posts, read 3,376,739 times
I keep the key FOB's to my Corvette in a Faraday Box I got on Amazon. The car is locked in my garage. It also has two alarms. If someone wants it bad enough and can figure out how to bypass all that stuff, have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive