Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 02:01 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

What about continuing to share a car and only use uber when necessary?

My husband and I gave our second car to our kid who needed it to commute - he lives out of state. I hesitated purchasing an another car for us until I start to receive my social security payments at age 68. It's been a year and we been able to make a one car work for us. Sure there have been tricky days, but a day or two each month is better than a car payment/insurance/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2023, 02:29 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
Go and lease her a new car for aprox 250 per month and let her get a part time job to make the payment.....problem solved

Old 12-30-2023, 08:18 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
(Buy direct from owner, NOT a dealer)
I second this recommendation. Almost all used cars sold by dealerships are sourced from auto auctions, so other than CarFax there's no record of maintenance or repairs.

Facebook Marketplace has grown in popularity, but I think it's just about the worst place to shop for a car. Craigslist is still better, but you have to inspect a car very carefully and perhaps bring along someone knowledgeable for a second opinion. The best deal might be one that's not cosmetically perfect, but has a good engine, transmission, electrical components, and brakes. And a maintenance record.

Something cheap won't need collision coverage and maybe not comprehensive.

Old 12-30-2023, 10:21 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I would stay away of that particular Sonata unless the engine was replaced recently.
For any Hyundai or Kia google Theta II engine issues and make sure you are not getting one with that engine. Their other engines aren't that great either, hence the lower price on the used market.
I came here to give this exact message. See if they engine has been replaced and what the oil change history for the vehicle is. I know 2 people who had had the engine replaced in this vehicle - each time they got rid of it as soon as they could after it was replaced (both cases it was under warranty so no cost, other than aggravation and one of them, the engine seized on the highway and there was a huge safety issue).

Old 12-30-2023, 11:18 PM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times
Default Lucky you, a college 12 minutes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Our kid is in year one of college, still living @ home, and we've been limping along sharing cars. But she needs her own vehicle at times.

Unfortunately, a "good" used car is rather expensive right now, supposedly coming down a bit but still almost as much as a new vehicle.

There are still a bunch of cheap used cars for example on Craigslist or at the local used car lot. There's a $6K Sonata, 2013, 125K, allegedly in good drivable condition. Based on past experience, tho, it would need $2K or $3K sunk into it within the first year - I just feel one should be realistic about such things.

Is this just a big mistake? A cheap car up front that will end up being a money sink, and spend more time in the shop than on the road?

Maybe she should just uber to class (12 minutes away). A few hundred a month on uber versus thousands for a car (plus insurance, fuel, upkeep).

I'm between jobs and don't want to dip deeply into savings right now. Hm. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Lucky you, a college 12 minutes away.

Go to the city-data Toyota forum and read my thread on ( page 1) about me solving the corolla sludge mystery. The thread basically gives a history of my 2004 corolla and the history of what it cost to get it to 270,000 miles. I do my own maintenance and haven't spent 2,000 dollars beyond brakes, tires, batteries, oil and filter changes, air and cabin filters in 20 years. Get a one owner, or dealer certified. Get a car fax and an OBD2 dealer grade printouts to guarantee correct miles and maintenance on the odometer. If you find a 2004 to 2008 Low miles, no wrecks, one owner that has done the maintenance and and not abused the car consider yourself lucky.

Make sure the child is mature enough for the responsibility of car ownership and college. You might see how grades turnout after the first semester. College parenting is a brave new world good luck.

Old 12-31-2023, 04:15 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Our kid is in year one of college, still living @ home, and we've been limping along sharing cars. But she needs her own vehicle at times.

Unfortunately, a "good" used car is rather expensive right now, supposedly coming down a bit but still almost as much as a new vehicle.

There are still a bunch of cheap used cars for example on Craigslist or at the local used car lot. There's a $6K Sonata, 2013, 125K, allegedly in good drivable condition. Based on past experience, tho, it would need $2K or $3K sunk into it within the first year - I just feel one should be realistic about such things.

Is this just a big mistake? A cheap car up front that will end up being a money sink, and spend more time in the shop than on the road?

Maybe she should just uber to class (12 minutes away). A few hundred a month on uber versus thousands for a car (plus insurance, fuel, upkeep).

I'm between jobs and don't want to dip deeply into savings right now. Hm. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Might not be a bad idea, she'd get to school and you could keep looking for a used car until a really good deal comes along.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:18 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Some cars just go on and on and never break.

Old 12-31-2023, 09:13 AM

63 posts, read 61,026 times
if you live in an area where rust is not a problem. I would try to find a Gm with a 3.8 motor. buick century or lesabre. good luck

Old 12-31-2023, 10:33 AM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
I think a good choice would be the 4-cylinder version of either a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. The 4 cylinders have adequate power, but excellent reliability. You likely can score a nice one just under your budget amount.

Buy from a private party, and if you can, buy one that the owner has maintenance records for. I bought a 4 cyl Camry for my son to finish his last three years of college. It was a one-owner car with 190,000 well-maintained miles on it. Never had anything other than oil and fluid changes as far as maintenance.

Old 12-31-2023, 01:21 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
College 12 minutes away, buy her a nice bicycle and a lock.
When my kid went to college he was in an appt. about 10 minutes from campus. He bought a bike, a rain slicker and a waterproof backpacking bag. Off he went every day, rain or shine. After his freshman year, he arranged his schedule so he only had classes on campus 3 days a week. The rest were online classes. They actually encourage those nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive