Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 08:04 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,601,675 times

Advertisements

https://www.esat.kuleuven.be/cosic/n...ern-supercars/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 09:05 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
That's one of the reasons I prefer metal keys.

Other reasons are that they are less bulky in my pocket, and they don't get wrecked when I screw up and send them through my washing machine.

Unfortunately, I am in the vast minority and am overruled by the millions of idiots who much prefer push-button start. (no offence to all of you idiots out there)

Oh well, I guess that's progress.
Give me a key anytime.

Old 02-09-2024, 09:06 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post

Many people have more than one key, and having a collection this bulky is problematic. And I can tell that you've actually never know a woman. Women in our society are constantly in fear of strange men, and don't like fumbling around with keys when trying to get into the car. You probably can't even fathom having that sort of fear, but the fear of rape is HUGE. A key that stays in your pocket (or purse) so you can get in the locked car quickly is a blessing for them. But yeah, call them idiots.
Yes, but fobs are presenting a new danger for women (and men).

While standing outside the car while pumping gas, with fob in pocket, thief runs up, opens door, jumps in, starts car and drives off. Sometimes with children still in the back seat. Especially on cars with filler on passenger side of car.

I've cautioned my daughter to avoid gassing up at night or in "sketchy" areas.

Old 02-09-2024, 09:08 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post

While standing outside the car while pumping gas, with fob in pocket, thief runs up, opens door, jumps in, starts car and drives off. Sometimes with children still in the back seat. Especially on cars with filler on passenger side of car.

When I'm outside of NJ and have to pump my own gas I always take the fob/key with me.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:25 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:

Car won't start if the FOB is outside the vehicle........not sure/try it.

Put the FOB on the tire and try to start the car.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The thieves used a clever trick to steal the Rolls Royce Cullinan, worth $370+K while it was parked on its owner’s drive.
The alarm wasn't even triggered.
The audacity and technological prowess of the thieves have left the viewers in shock.

Essentially what they're doing on this camera clip, is cloning the key at distance. The correct signal gets relayed to the car, and the car starts. After that - the relay itself still has the signal frequency recorded and that can function as a duplicate
They exploited the car’s keyless entry feature, which works with a key fob. The luxury car’s keys were found inside the residence.

https://www.news18.com/viral/caught-...s-8688300.html
This only works if the key is in close proximity to the car. If the key was 50 ft from the car it wouldn't work.

I had a new Porsche last year that when in the garage it was about 6 ft from the kitchen counter top where the keys usually were. The key fob was blinking red a lot and within a month or so, would kill the fob battery. New house the garage is 50+ feet from the kitchen so key fob is out of range now.

This theft case just works if the car is left outside AND the keys are in a close proximity!

Last edited by City Guy997S; 02-09-2024 at 11:59 AM..

Old 02-09-2024, 12:03 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
That's one of the reasons I prefer metal keys.

Oh well, I guess that's progress.
Ahh yes, because no one ever managed to start a car that had a traditional key

Except with a pocket knife, or a key that was filed down to mostly match the manufacturers key, or bypassing the key entirely by hotwiring...

Old 02-09-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Ahh yes, because no one ever managed to start a car that had a traditional key

Except with a pocket knife, or a key that was filed down to mostly match the manufacturers key, or bypassing the key entirely by hotwiring...
or GM having duplicate keys!

I had a GM pickup and was moving cars in my driveway. I had a friends keys in my pocket, she had a HHR Chevy. I couldn't get it to start but the key worked on/off. Turns out my pickup key worked her car perfectly but due to a chip it wouldn't start the car!

Old 02-09-2024, 12:56 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Car won't start if the FOB is outside the vehicle........not sure/try it.

Put the FOB on the tire and try to start the car.
Perhaps the thief picks on women gassing up because they usually leave the fob inside their purse inside the car ?

Old 02-09-2024, 05:04 PM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Women don't go without purse anywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive