Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 04:32 AM

1,211 posts, read 501,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The thieves used a clever trick to steal the Rolls Royce Cullinan, worth $370+K while it was parked on its owner’s drive.
The alarm wasn't even triggered.
The audacity and technological prowess of the thieves have left the viewers in shock.

Essentially what they're doing on this camera clip, is cloning the key at distance. The correct signal gets relayed to the car, and the car starts. After that - the relay itself still has the signal frequency recorded and that can function as a duplicate
They exploited the car’s keyless entry feature, which works with a key fob. The luxury car’s keys were found inside the residence.

https://www.news18.com/viral/caught-...s-8688300.html
What do the criminals do with the auto? You can't drive it around for very long, you can't remove serial numbers and register it your name or really sell it etc. A vehicle like that likely has locked it gps stuff so you can find it. Do they do it for fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 04:36 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
What do the criminals do with the auto? You can't drive it around for very long, you can't remove serial numbers and register it your name or really sell it etc. A vehicle like that likely has locked it gps stuff so you can find it. Do they do it for fun?

Maybe. Just to prove it can be done.

Old 02-11-2024, 05:01 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Short term theft of a car? Use it while committing a crime. It happens.

Or race a friend.

Or drive to the airport without paying to park.

All of these greatly inconvenience the actual owner.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:00 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Either chop it up for parts OR ship the whole car out of the country.

Guy in Connecticut had an Aston carjacked out of his garage a few months ago. They traced it back to a high end theft/chop shop ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LxG25BSsRg

Old 02-12-2024, 07:02 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...cking/3119064/

4 guys arrested in the carjacking case, 4 stolen cars recovered

Old 02-13-2024, 02:23 PM

1,929 posts, read 817,432 times
Quote:
OVERSEAS!

Not a Rolls Royce but still not a cheap vehicle

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-uae-1.7083615

Old 02-17-2024, 05:33 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
I remember watching a documentary in Baltimore where the main guy had turned his life around but brought hidden cameras to show what was happening in person. Chargers and Challengers were stolen all night and driven directly to sea containers at a port. Each container was full of stolen cars and hidden amongst other things. The port police aid they have zero time to search containers especially when opening them nothing can be seen and jammed full. The vehicles were all going to Africa where these Mercedes, Dodge, BMW, etc dealers don’t exist, but area was newly rich in mining cash I believe. They then went to the African port and football fields of stolen cars.

Old 02-19-2024, 12:46 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Remember "The Club" circa 1986?

For those too young... it's that ubiquitous orange steel rod that locks onto your steering wheel so that thieves can't just drive away with your vehicle... unless it's in a straight line

I've started seeing them around again.

Those remote FOBS are just not reliable, the thieves always seems to find a way to circumvent them or use them to easily steal your valuable shiny vehicle.

As for the person who said that keyed vehicles can be "hot wired" ... yeah if it was made before 1999.
6 of 1, Half dozen of another. At one time someone with the know-how could literally touch the wires to start it.

It was over 10 years ago that I watched a documentary where a car thief used a "computer" (which didn't resemble a desktop or laptop, the thief described it as 'just a brain') to bypass newer tech.

People that say they aren't secure or aren't reliable...I ask you, "compared to what?"

Old 02-19-2024, 01:12 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

People that say they aren't secure or aren't reliable...I ask you, "compared to what?"

How about compared to how most cars were about 10 years ago. A metal key plus RFID chip. It seems to me that the radio transmitter fob might be a step backward in the security dept.

I get the argument that was made about women not wanting to fumble with keys when they're scared of getting raped, but perhaps if they're so worried they could have the key in their hand and ready to go BEFORE getting to the car door. Or is that asking too much?

I don't get how having a car that automatically unlocks every door as soon as you walk up to it can help to prevent women from getting raped anyways.

One more thing, I'm not completely sure but I think most cars with push button start don't have steering wheel locks anymore. That's one more layer of security that they got rid of.

So tell me again how the new way is better than the old way.

Old 02-22-2024, 11:25 AM

369 posts, read 104,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I get the argument that was made about women not wanting to fumble with keys when they're scared of getting raped, but perhaps if they're so worried they could have the key in their hand and ready to go BEFORE getting to the car door. Or is that asking too much?
Ok, so you' have a bunch of grocery bags in one arm and a small child in the other. And a purse. Have you ever known young single moms? Asking them to then also get the keys out early is not happening.

Quote:
I don't get how having a car that automatically unlocks every door as soon as you walk up to it can help to prevent women from getting raped anyways.
It's locked, you walk up and instead of putting everything down and fumbling for keys, you walk up, open the door, get in and lock it before anything can happen. Again, do you actually know any women?

it's about allaying fears that most women have about men.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...-attacked.html

https://farahandfarah.com/resources/...nse-of-safety/

The Fears that Come with Being a Woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive