Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 08:55 AM

828 posts, read 771,926 times

Advertisements

Not unusual for high performance tires like Pirelli Corsa or Michelin PS4s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 09:01 AM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
We just failed our tag inspection. We have a 2021 Mercedes GLC 300. Thus far the car has been flawless. It has 21k miles on it. The fail was due to the tires.

It has Perelli tires.

I have in all my years of owning a car never had tires wear out at 21K miles.

We are not aggressive drivers.

Is this normal?

It's not a heavy car with a curb weight of somewhere around 3900. Our Ford Expeditions tires go between 50k-75k.

At only 7k miles a year could there be something wrong with the tires?
Your Mercedes most likely came with high performance summer tires. They wear quickly. I have an Audi SQ5 and just replaced the original Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tires with Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires. They'll last longer, are good in cold and snowy weather, and I can't tell that the car's performance has degraded at all.

So yes, your situation is likely normal.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:26 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
A guick google shows that the OEM tire on the Coupe include the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. If that is the what you have (Spyder does't show up as a Pirelli product), they are run flats... and one of the knocks about run flats is that they can wear faster.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:09 AM

12,375 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Something doesn't sound right, as if they actually failed a safety inspection due to insufficient tread depth, they're pretty worn down. Hard acceleration, braking, and cornering will wear tires faster, but you say you don't drive the car hard - I dunno. Are they kept properly inflated to recommended pressure?

Try some grand touring tires from Michelin or Vredestein. As someone else said, Tire Rack has summarized customer feedback, including traction and treadwear.

Old 03-05-2024, 12:06 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Your Mercedes most likely came with high performance summer tires. They wear quickly. I have an Audi SQ5 and just replaced the original Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tires with Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires. They'll last longer, are good in cold and snowy weather, and I can't tell that the car's performance has degraded at all.

So yes, your situation is likely normal.
Forgot to mention that I replaced the original summer tires at 22,000 miles and I drive very modestly. I've heard of people (mostly younger than me) who drive hard and have to replace tires and brakes (especially in the rear) at only 12,000 miles. When you drive hard, the rear brakes will activate automatically to keep the car from spinning out.

Old 03-05-2024, 12:56 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Long treadwear is not indicative of tire quality. In fact, the opposite is usually the case.

Old 03-05-2024, 02:29 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
We just failed our tag inspection. We have a 2021 Mercedes GLC 300. Thus far the car has been flawless. It has 21k miles on it. The fail was due to the tires.

It has Perelli tires.

I have in all my years of owning a car never had tires wear out at 21K miles.

We are not aggressive drivers.

Is this normal?

It's not a heavy car with a curb weight of somewhere around 3900. Our Ford Expeditions tires go between 50k-75k.

At only 7k miles a year could there be something wrong with the tires?
Model of tire?

A lot of times they OEMs are doing very aggressive tires on cars now so they look good in comparison reviews in magazines and test drive well. That's about what you get on an aggressive summer tire with sedate driving. That seems like a very stupid tire for GLC 300 but then I have a Polestar 2 which came with the equivalent of Michelin PS Cup 2 tires on it which is also a very stupid tire.

Pirelli tires have a reputation for wearing fast as well in a given class of tire. I've had them as motorcycle tires and that's certainly been my experience. For a given level of performance they just don't last. A performance all-season I'd expect to get more like 30k out of. Given my experience with Pirelli I can totally see them getting 20k instead of 30k.

Old 03-05-2024, 02:47 PM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
FWIW, I bought a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee, in early 2015. It's primarily my winter vehicle, with some summer use....at least that was my original intention. As I've gotten older, lugging summer wheels/tires and winter wheels/tires up and down the basement stairs, twice a year, is no longer something I look forward to. So, a couple weeks after I took possession of this Jeep, I bought a set of Nokian "all weather" tires, that supposedly are decent in summer usage, and much better in snow, than an everyday, "all season" tire.

In actual life, A) I wound up driving more in summer than originally anticipated; and B) in my travels, I ran across a smoking deal on 4 "almost new" OE wheels. I bought them and then "shopped around" until I scored a deal on 4 all season Michelins. So, in the end, I'm lugging wheels and tires up and down to the basement.

My point, after all this, is that I have 27,000 miles on the Jeep, in total, with roughly 60% of the miles on the Nokians, and basically, they're done......I could MAYBE squeeze another 2000 miles out of them, as long as there wasn't any snow, but realistically, I'll be replacing them before next winter rolls around. So, doing some "rough math", they lasted about 15-16,000 miles.

Old 03-05-2024, 03:46 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
20k seems perfectly reasonable for performance tires. They give you good handling and grip with a softer tread. That is nothing compared to cars like Type R that gets no more than 10k miles on Cup Sports tires.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:23 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
I thought only EVs ate tires this quickly? I mean, all those youtube videos,
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive