Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 05:09 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
We just failed our tag inspection. We have a 2021 Mercedes GLC 300. Thus far the car has been flawless. It has 21k miles on it. The fail was due to the tires.

It has Perelli tires.

I have in all my years of owning a car never had tires wear out at 21K miles.

We are not aggressive drivers.

Is this normal?

It's not a heavy car with a curb weight of somewhere around 3900. Our Ford Expeditions tires go between 50k-75k.

At only 7k miles a year could there be something wrong with the tires?

Its all relative. A Bugatti Veyron burns through a set of tires in 11 minutes at top speed and a set of tires is $42,000.

Benz is now 4 yrs old, buy a set of tires and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 05:12 PM

21,832 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
FWIW, I bought a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee, in early 2015. It's primarily my winter vehicle, with some summer use....at least that was my original intention. As I've gotten older, lugging summer wheels/tires and winter wheels/tires up and down the basement stairs, twice a year, is no longer something I look forward to. So, a couple weeks after I took possession of this Jeep, I bought a set of Nokian "all weather" tires, that supposedly are decent in summer usage, and much better in snow, than an everyday, "all season" tire.

In actual life, A) I wound up driving more in summer than originally anticipated; and B) in my travels, I ran across a smoking deal on 4 "almost new" OE wheels. I bought them and then "shopped around" until I scored a deal on 4 all season Michelins. So, in the end, I'm lugging wheels and tires up and down to the basement.

My point, after all this, is that I have 27,000 miles on the Jeep, in total, with roughly 60% of the miles on the Nokians, and basically, they're done......I could MAYBE squeeze another 2000 miles out of them, as long as there wasn't any snow, but realistically, I'll be replacing them before next winter rolls around. So, doing some "rough math", they lasted about 15-16,000 miles.
Running you winter tires in the summer will do that to you.

Old 03-05-2024, 07:33 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
From this Mercedes dealer site https://www.mercedesbenzofwarwick.co...ar-tires-last/

"How many miles should tires last? The high-performance, low-profile tires on Mercedes-Benz vehicles should be replaced every one to two years, or every 15,000 to 20,000 miles."

I love the 45,000 to 60,000 miles I get from a set of 265-70R17 tires on my 4Runner. Higher profile tires are more comfortable and last longer.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:49 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Pirelli tires have a reputation for wearing fast as well in a given class of tire. I've had them as motorcycle tires and that's certainly been my experience. For a given level of performance they just don't last. A performance all-season I'd expect to get more like 30k out of. Given my experience with Pirelli I can totally see them getting 20k instead of 30k.
It depends on the tire. I've had sets of all-season Pirellis that were rated as a 70k-mile tire and I got 70k miles. High performance summer tires have a soft compound and will not last, no matter which brand they are.

Old 03-06-2024, 06:03 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Running you winter tires in the summer will do that to you.
Yes, I'm fully aware of that. HOWEVER, Nokian advertised those tires as "all weather" tires........

Old 03-06-2024, 12:39 PM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
We just failed our tag inspection. We have a 2021 Mercedes GLC 300. Thus far the car has been flawless. It has 21k miles on it. The fail was due to the tires.

It has Perelli tires.

I have in all my years of owning a car never had tires wear out at 21K miles.

We are not aggressive drivers.

Is this normal?

It's not a heavy car with a curb weight of somewhere around 3900. Our Ford Expeditions tires go between 50k-75k.

At only 7k miles a year could there be something wrong with the tires?
I owned a VW Toureg back in 2004. It went through tires AND breaks every 15K miles.

Old 03-10-2024, 05:21 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
This post is missing all relevant information needed to comment with any advice.

Which Pirelli model? They make a lot of tires.

What was the nature of the wear? Was it even or in a certain area (alignment issue)?

I have had performance/track-orientated tires that have lasted 8k miles or less. It's all relative.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:34 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
This post is missing all relevant information needed to comment with any advice.

Which Pirelli model? They make a lot of tires.

What was the nature of the wear? Was it even or in a certain area (alignment issue)?

I have had performance/track-orientated tires that have lasted 8k miles or less. It's all relative.
You reminded me of a set of tires that I picked up in the late 80s. General Tire Company, in conjunction with the SCCA, was sponsoring a "showroom stock" road racing series, that featured Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs. As the series sponsor, General supplied the tires, which were in the factory sizes for the cars, but both speed rated, as well as having a very soft rubber compound, for "enhanced handling" .

After the series concluded, there were a number of brand new tires left over, and they were sold off by Tire Rack. I had a Firebird, at the time, so I snagged a set of them. They lasted maybe 3-4 thousand miles, but boy, were they fun while they lasted!!

Old 03-11-2024, 09:03 AM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
I had Continental tires on my MB C 300 and they only lasted for 24,000 miles. I switched to Michelin tires and the lasted over 50,000 miles.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:21 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
I had Continental tires on my MB C 300 and they only lasted for 24,000 miles. I switched to Michelin tires and the lasted over 50,000 miles.
As has been noted several times in this thread, tire manufacturers sell many types of tires, including high-performance tires that are soft and sticky and may last less than 10k miles, but also long-life tires that may last 70k miles or further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive