Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 06:29 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times

Advertisements

Be advised that your new internet connected car may be a tattle tale.

free link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/t...smid=url-share

"Kenn Dahl says he has always been a careful driver. The owner of a software company near Seattle, he drives a leased Chevrolet Bolt. He’s never been responsible for an accident.

So Mr. Dahl, 65, was surprised in 2022 when the cost of his car insurance jumped by 21 percent. Quotes from other insurance companies were also high. One insurance agent told him his LexisNexis report was a factor."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 07:25 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
It is just a more logical way for the insurance-companies to better define risk and
adjust rates accordingly.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:22 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
And I'm sure lots of people consider themselves "safe drivers" when in reality they're probably not as angelic as all that. But I wonder how much of Mr. Dahl's increased rate is actually the amount of driving he does. Insurance rates are based on a lot of assumptions and statistics, and post-COVID, I imagine 4 trips/day might be on the high side.

I know that there have been voluntary programs for folks to put trackers on to reduce their insurance rates. But I guess it makes sense that if there is data available, people will figure out a way to make $$$ off of it. That said, there should definitely be a disclosure and/or data should be aggregated or otherwise anonymized if they're using/selling it without consent. I can see this going through the courts and becoming opt-in, like much of our data tracking is.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
My 2017 F150 does not have any internet, unless I stream to the stereo, and that's never since I have Sirius. Likewise, my fun car, a 1974 Nova has no electronics other than a simple classic car stereo. We have been offered those dongles by our insurance provider but always pass. I have always enjoyed "spirited" driving.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:53 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Default Your car may be ratting you out to your insurance company

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/car-may-...155300086.html

Quote:
Manufacturers of connected cars are sharing way more data than customers may realize, the New York Times reported Monday, and that's only half the problem. According to the report, automakers may be sharing statistics about customer driving habits with their insurance companies directly....

Old 03-12-2024, 05:06 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
That is why I am careful to always stay below 80 mph, so that Buick Smart Driver does not rat me out to my insurance company.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:51 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
That is why I am careful to always stay below 80 mph, so that Buick Smart Driver does not rat me out to my insurance company.
Didn't actually read it, did you?

"So far, the Times has only linked the activity to instances where customers voluntarily opt into various connected features"

Not to even mention, Volvo nor Mazda (my cars) have any clue who my insurance company is. So they wouldn't know who to "rat me out" to.

I don't have a Tesla: In the cases of OEMs like Tesla, who provide their own insurance either in-house or via a partnership, customers are made aware that the service will monitor their driving behavior.

So, again, opt in.

Click bait article.

You still shouldn't be driving over 80 much though.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:58 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
No, they really don't (without your permiission)

"So far, the Times has only linked the activity to instances where customers voluntarily opt into various connected features"

Not to even mention, Volvo nor Mazda (my cars) have any clue who my insurance company is. So they wouldn't know who to "rat me out" to.

I don't have a Tesla: In the cases of OEMs like Tesla, who provide their own insurance either in-house or via a partnership, customers are made aware that the service will monitor their driving behavior.

So, again, opt in.

Click bait article.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:27 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Didn't actually read it, did you?

So, again, opt in.

Click bait article.

You still shouldn't be driving over 80 much though.
I imagine what these manufacturers will do is that they will submit your information to a database that all car insurance companies will have access to, so the manufacturer wouldn't have to know who your specific insurance carrier is to "rat" on you.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:57 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
One solution is to drive an old car with minimal electronics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive