Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

And I don't get the argument some bring that 'The seat reclines so I'm allowed' or 'it's my right'.
Wow, you have a strong opinion on this! Did you read my post above? I'm still trying to figure out why 3 or 4 inches of reclining can possibly infringe that much on the person behind me.

Here's Ellen explaining it to us!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3KvWVU-WgU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
Personally I find it very rude...showing no consideration for anyone other than yourself. I'm 6'3" and already eating my knees let alone when the seat is pushed back. If I sit properly without throwing a leg into the isle or spreading my knees into my neighbors space I cannot set the tray down as it is....having the seatback in front of me pushed back just makes it obscene.

what are your thoughts?
Since you are also tall (I'm 6'2"), how do you feel about flying in commuter planes where you constantly have to walk as if you're in a cave? I refuse to fly those planes where I might constantly hit my head when walking or standing. Why don't they think of these things when they're designing the planes?
Just for the record, I don't like when they recline, but respect their right to do so.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,791 times
I can see that no one in this thread has ever flown directly ahead of a small child in a rear facing car seat.

There is a forum for child passenger safety enthusiasts, and this topic comes up often. The standard answer is "they don't have a right to recline their seat." Now add on that these folks rear face their kids ON THE PLANE till age 3... imagine a giant Britax with a 3 year old rear facing directly behind you.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
I can see that no one in this thread has ever flown directly ahead of a small child in a rear facing car seat.

There is a forum for child passenger safety enthusiasts, and this topic comes up often. The standard answer is "they don't have a right to recline their seat." Now add on that these folks rear face their kids ON THE PLANE till age 3... imagine a giant Britax with a 3 year old rear facing directly behind you.
They are stupid putting a child seat in a rear facing position unless it's for an infant. Not only is it not safer, it's actually more dangerous.

It's the same reason that you don't sleep head towards the front in a moving motorhome. An accident will snap your neck. Sleep feet facing front and the worst that will happen is a broken ankle.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They are stupid putting a child seat in a rear facing position unless it's for an infant. Not only is it not safer, it's actually more dangerous.

It's the same reason that you don't sleep head towards the front in a moving motorhome. An accident will snap your neck. Sleep feet facing front and the worst that will happen is a broken ankle.
Actually, facing the front will snap their neck. What causes whiplash in an adult causes internal decapitation in an under 3-4 year old child. Have you ever watched a crash test vid? The child barely moves in a rear facing seat, wheares they fly forward violently in a forward facing one. This is why the recs have changed to leave your child rear facing as long as possible. The Net is flooded with this info.

I brought it up here because the car accidents that you are protecting against rear facing are not really applicable on an airplane seat.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
I'm 6'-2", I don't slam it back but I always recline my seat. It is the only way I can be anywhere close to comfortable with minimal pain. The typical airline seat has some weird curvature to it which provide me with no mid-back support but presses the head rest forward into my shoulder blades, it is made for shorter people and does not work for me at all. By the middle of a moderate flight distance my back is aching and painful if I don't recline the seat. Yes I need more knee room too, but the problem is the airlines design the seat spacing to accommodate average sized people, ignoring that fact that at least half of us are larger then average.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:53 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wow, I'm only 5'8" (with long legs) and my knees always get smashed. Sometimes I feel like a butterfly pinned in a collection. I can't move, I can't reach for my book that is under the seat, I'm just trapped. i can't imagine how difficult it must be for the people who are much, much taller when it is torture for me..

I've had a few times when I've screamed outloud in pain as someone jams their seat back into my arthritic knees, however nothing as dramatic as Mike's story. Why don't people just turn around and check before they push their seats back as far as they go, as fast as they can go?

Maybe the flight attendents should announce that at the beginning of every flight. Check first, then slowly put your seat back a little.
I was thinking more about this issue. The times that I yelped or screamed outloud in paid, as the seat in front of me was rammed into my arthritic knees, a lot of nearby passengers turned to see what happened but the person in front of me never even turned around to check what was wrong or to apologize.

Hmmm, I guess if you are inconsiderate enough to forcefully push your seat back, all the way back, without warning you are probably inconsiderate enough to ignore the older woman who is whimpering in pain because of your actions.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
Personally I find it very rude...showing no consideration for anyone other than yourself. I'm 6'3" and already eating my knees let alone when the seat is pushed back. If I sit properly without throwing a leg into the isle or spreading my knees into my neighbors space I cannot set the tray down as it is....having the seatback in front of me pushed back just makes it obscene.

what are your thoughts?
If someone reclines a typical coach seat on an airplane without checking with the person seated behind them first, it's rude. Unfortunately, many folks lack both common courtesy and common sense. Some folks resort to using the old "bottle trick" or something more elaborate, like "Knee Defenders" in order to preserve their limited seat space. However, those "solutions" are somewhat "passive aggressive", can involve "tampering with the aircraft", and are just as rude as the "unanticipated seat reclining" that they can prevent. If one's a victim of "unanticipated seat reclining" and the offender is uncooperative, one has a license to be equally rude. Aiming the gasper (cabin ventilation nozzle) at the top of the offender's head, coughing and sneezing on them, grabbing their headrest when getting up from one's seat, and "accidentally" spilling food and/or drinks on them is fair game.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Actually, facing the front will snap their neck. What causes whiplash in an adult causes internal decapitation in an under 3-4 year old child. Have you ever watched a crash test vid? The child barely moves in a rear facing seat, wheares they fly forward violently in a forward facing one. This is why the recs have changed to leave your child rear facing as long as possible. The Net is flooded with this info.

I brought it up here because the car accidents that you are protecting against rear facing are not really applicable on an airplane seat.
And where is that three foot tall child's legs supposed to go in a rear facing seat? Up his hiney?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Doesn't anyone find it a bit strange that the majority want to blame other passengers instead of the money grubbing nickel and dime grabbing airline that's actually causing the issues?

Seriously, as passengers we don't design the darn things and each has an expectation of at least a minimum of comfort for our $500 +tax,baggage.landing fee,fuel surcharge fee,seat forward of the rear toilet fee,boarding before the absolute latest last person fee and now carry on fees and some pay toilets. Oh I forgot one, the no middle seat fee. Ran into that one when I booked a flight last month.
I've been flying since DC3's (as a kid) and remember the days of Pan Am type service, linen,silverware,actual glasses and plates and have watched it spiral down ever since. I thought we'd hit bottom when I paid $500 or so to take a 2 1/2 hr flight and had to grab a lunch sack (lunch on the go was the sweet little name they gave it) on the way down the jetway that was something along the lines of what a prisoner would get.
Guess I was way,way off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation