Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 AM

278 posts, read 1,111,285 times

Advertisements

Personally I find it very rude...showing no consideration for anyone other than yourself. I'm 6'3" and already eating my knees let alone when the seat is pushed back. If I sit properly without throwing a leg into the isle or spreading my knees into my neighbors space I cannot set the tray down as it is....having the seatback in front of me pushed back just makes it obscene.

what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,849,728 times
People paid for the seats and have the right to recline them. Your anger should be focused on the airlines who install them without enough room for you to sit in comfortably.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,722,587 times
Or just pay the $15-30 to get the stretched seats on most airlines. I'm 5'8 and do that for every flight I'm on. Makes for a much more comfortable experience, not to mention you almost always get priority boarding.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 AM

278 posts, read 1,111,285 times
I usually try and get exit row seats which are the best imo. the international flight I was on yesterday the stretched seats were not available.

this lady who threw her seat back on me had to deal with me kicking her seat with my knees the whole time...not cause I wanted to, but cause I literally had no choice! You don't want me to kick your seat, put it up!

While I agree anger should be thrown at the airlines, we're all in this together on the flight and a little consideration for your fellow passengers would be nice. Or do you say screw everyone else its all about me and my comfort is of most importance.

I never throw my seatback because I think its rude and inconsiderate for the folks behind me.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,248,023 times
I also am one of the people that tries to be conscientious of those behind me when seated on a plane.
OP....I would just ask nicely for the person in front to move their seat back upright. I know it is hard for some folks to ask assistance of strangers, but most often people will be sympathetic, I certainly would.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,768,395 times
I recline the seat just a bit, so its not at a 90 degree anlge. Reasonable IMHO. I don't think I've ever put the seat all the way back if there's anyone but a child behind me.

Ha one flight from DC to LA, I heard what sounded like a kid behind me, and I felt constant pushes on my seat, like their feet were bumping me. I tried reclining a bit but couldn't (usually it just glides back). "Eh oh well, no big deal" I thought. i don't so sleep on planes anyway. I was about to turn around to ask the parent I hoped would be there to ask their child to refrain from hitting the seat, but I was a kid once, and the four hour flight was surely not going to be fun for them.

I get up about an hour into the flight to use the restroom and low and behold its some 30 year old or so euro with his legs curled up and his knees press against the back of my seat. WTF. Who does this. I get back to my seat and promptly slam the back of the seat as far as it'll go, and as I do, I hear a slight wimper.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 AM

266 posts, read 403,253 times
It depends on what kind of flight/how long it is. Usually if I'm on a redeye and will be sleeping, I put it back to a comfortable angle (don't think I've ever put it back all the way). Or I will put it back a bit if it is a 5+ hour flight. Usually, if either of these situations are the case, others (and those behind you) will have their seats back as well, which means there will be adequate room as opposed to you having your seat back and the person behind you sitting upright.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,184,428 times
Well, obviously this one is going to separate the tall from the small. At 6'7", you can guess which side I fall on. At minimum, PLEASE turn around and let the person know you're going to recline the seat. PLEASE! I cannot tell you how many times I've had my knee slammed, and I mean 'make a grown man cry' slammed into by people who seem to think that reclining the seat has to happen at Mach 2 in order to get it fully extended.

The last one nearly caused the plane to turn back around. I was in the aisle seat (my wife next to me in the middle. Bless her) and I had myself situated so that my left knee was kinda behind the middle seat, just catching the corner. The lady in front of my wife dropped her seat back so hard and so fast that I yelled and slammed her seat back forward as hard as I could, purely reactionary (not vindictive). Apparently, her husband (seated in front of me) took that as some act of aggression towards his wife, because the next thing he did was drop his seat into my lap. So now my left knee is pinned and my right isn't doing much better. I yell at him to get his seat up (and yes, some expletives are dropped but keep in mind I'm WRITHING in pain) all the while banging on his wife's seat because my knee is being tortured. He drops the whole 'It's my right' line (with some colorful language of his own), and the next thing I know the flight attendant is jumping in the middle like a referee.

It used to be if I got the ticket desk early enough, the kind attendant behind the counter would take one look at me, have a heart, and give me emergency row or exit row. But the airlines, in their insatiable desire to squeeze every last penny from your pocket, have figured out that they can charge extra for that basic act of kindness and humanity, so now I have to pay extra for that, too, and that's assuming any is left when I buy the ticket.

God, I hate flying!

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 01-02-2013 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,949,778 times
I love to fly but I hate the commercial airlines. They think people are sardines and it's all about their bottom line.
Fortunately I have no need to fly so when we travel we drive ourselves or get a sleeper car on Amtrak.
It is rude to slam your seat back without checking with the person behind you but people are rude and we all have to deal with them.

(I like the idea of kick kick kicking for retaliation as I can be just as rude as the guy in front of me) !

Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,097,510 times
A polite person does not recline their seat. It is just plain rude and inconsiderate to the person behind you.

MAYBE, if the person behind you is small, or if it is an overnight flight and everyone is reclining such that no-one is inconvenienced.

Otherwise, NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation