Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:06 PM

281 posts, read 472,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
In what way is it a benefit to passengers for an airport to have a large footprint like this?
Where did anyone say anything like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Cool! Can you post Denver too?
I'll see what can put together. Any city you want to compare it to?

Old 11-25-2013, 08:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Yeah, but it doesnt exactly have a diverse line up. 90.63% is either Delta or Air Tran/Southwest. Its to be somewhat expected from a mega hub. Atlanta has 7 foreign flags. My beloved DFW is around 75% American Airlines with 11 foreign flags.
That's a laughable statement! Delta traffic is about 60 percent of the total in ATL, Airtran/Southwest about 18 percent. Expressjet (Skywest) accounted for about 13 percent in 2011.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
That's a laughable statement! Delta traffic is about 60 percent of the total in ATL, Airtran/Southwest about 18 percent. Expressjet (Skywest) accounted for about 13 percent in 2011.
Add 60+18+13 and what do you get? Hint: it's 91.

Just in case you didn't know, Skywest operates for Delta. They aren't there on their own. They don't fly for anyone other than Delta in Atlanta. They count as Delta. Separating them would be akin to separating American and American Eagle.

Don't see what your problem is. You just said the same thing I did.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
Where did anyone say anything like that?
Like what? I am merely asking a question. Is there a benefit to passengers in having a large-footprint airport with more gates?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:11 PM

281 posts, read 472,605 times
Quote:
Like what? I am merely asking a question. Is there a benefit to passengers in having a large-footprint airport with more gates?
Less congestion

Old 11-26-2013, 01:09 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Add 60+18+13 and what do you get? Hint: it's 91.

Just in case you didn't know, Skywest operates for Delta. They aren't there on their own. They don't fly for anyone other than Delta in Atlanta. They count as Delta. Separating them would be akin to separating American and American Eagle.

Don't see what your problem is. You just said the same thing I did.
So Delta's got 73 percent of the Atlanta market, and American's got 75 percent of DWF. I'm glad you agree that DFW doesn't have a very diverse lineup, either.

The difference at Delta and ATL is, the sheer volume of non-stop international flights. You can pretty much fly direct anywhere in the world on Delta from ATL, including Africa, which is extremely rare.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
So Delta's got 73 percent of the Atlanta market, and American's got 75 percent of DWF. I'm glad you agree that DFW doesn't have a very diverse lineup, either.

The difference at Delta and ATL is, the sheer volume of non-stop international flights. You can pretty much fly direct anywhere in the world on Delta from ATL, including Africa, which is extremely rare.
Here's a difference. Atlanta has one airport, DFW has two. Both the Atlanta and DFW areas have two airlines with significant presences: both Delta and Southwest at ATL for Atlanta and American at DFW and Southwest at DAL (Love Field) for Dallas. If you totaled both, the DFW area would come out slightly more diverse but the difference isn't great. The biggest difference is that DFW has more foreign flags carriers but the foreign flags to ATL carry more passengers because almost all have ties to Delta. Most of the foreign flags at DFW do not have ties to American.

And you can fly pretty much anywhere in the world nonstop from DFW, including Australia which is more rare than Africa.

What ATL has over DFW is the number of destinations to Europe and the Caribbean as well as the flight to Johannesburg. What DFW has over ATL is the number of foreign flags and the flight to Sydney/Brisbane as well as the upcoming announced flights to Asia (Hong Kong and Shanghai). Both ATL and DFW serve over 200 destinations. Not too shabby.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:07 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
Less congestion
I don't think it works out that way, though. Bigger airports require more extensive ground ops, which are often more time consuming and more dangerous. It's also less convenient for passengers making connections.

Given the choice of identical flights, savvy passengers traveling through the Dallas area would be smart to choose Love Field over DFW, for instance.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Given the choice of identical flights, savvy passengers traveling through the Dallas area would be smart to choose Love Field over DFW, for instance.
Why? Its a matter of airline preference and airport preference. I NEVER use Love Field even though they are equidistant from my house. The ammount of traveler ammenities at DFW blow anything out of Love Field out of the water (lounges, options to eat, shopping, etc.). As for connections, DFW is one of the absolute easiest airports to connect in. There is a train that can take you to any terminal in the airport in less than 8 minutes.

The savvy traveler has more of a clue about these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation