Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 10:25 AM

703 posts, read 870,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Pitot tubes on the A-320 are known to have issues with formation of ice, if ice does form then it messes up the autopilot. This is similar to the 2009 Air France crash in the Atlantic. Coupled with pilot error I wouldn't be surprised if we have a crash here.
I head the same on CNN. Some pilots have no idea how their planes work outside of the FMS/AP. Sad, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 10:57 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Missing AirAsia Jet: Inside the Search Area - ABC News

Old 12-28-2014, 11:03 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,179 times
I wouldn't put too much stock in media reports of the pilot requesting an "unusual" route. It's completely normal for pilots to request deviations and altitude changes due to weather and turbulence. The media is trying to turn something routine into something nefarious in order to stir up drama and controversy.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:07 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,625 times
I guess the Bermuda triangle moved over to Asia.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
I wouldn't put too much stock in media reports of the pilot requesting an "unusual" route. It's completely normal for pilots to request deviations and altitude changes due to weather and turbulence. The media is trying to turn something routine into something nefarious in order to stir up drama and controversy.
I disagree. Their correspondents are also saying it is very normal. Are oyu watching FOX news?

Old 12-28-2014, 11:10 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,246,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
I agree nothing out of the ordinary here at all. Besides, alots of other aircraft were traversing the same vincinity at the same time, without incident. The pilot tubes or airspeed indicators, that's old news now because Airbus redesigned them for all of their aircraft after the Air France disaster with a new design.

I still lean towards their being some kind of a mechanical issue of some kind, eventualy we'll find out.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I agree nothing out of the ordinary here at all. Besides, alots of other aircraft were traversing the same vincinity at the same time, without incident. The pilot tubes or airspeed indicators, that's old news now because Airbus redesigned them for all of their aircraft after the Air France disaster with a new design.

I still lean towards their being some kind of a mechanical issue of some kind, eventualy we'll find out.
I agree. Somebody already mentioned pitot issues. There could have been weather-related storm issues. Thunderstorms...

Old 12-28-2014, 11:14 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
I disagree. Their correspondents are also saying it is very normal. Are oyu watching FOX news?
I usually watch FOX, but I'm not at the moment. I was referring to media sources who were saying the change in direction request was "unusual" and there have been several who are framing it that way.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:18 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,246,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
I agree. Somebody already mentioned pitot issues. There could have been weather-related storm issues. Thunderstorms...
I am skeptical regarding weather related. They had good visibility, it was daytime, excellent weather radar, other aircraft were in the same vincinity....

I dont know, my late father was a professional airline captain for years with Braniff. Deviations, weather, thunderstorms, this is just an every day occurance and no biggie at all for professional pilots. It's hars to say, but I am skeptical about the weather really being an issue here. I mean, it's possible but I think it's more remote, per say, then possibly some kind of a mechanical issue. Maybe in this case we do have a rapid depressurization issue or other mechanical of some kind? Hard to say..

Old 12-28-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I am skeptical regarding weather related. They had good visibility, it was daytime, excellent weather radar, other aircraft were in the same vincinity....

I dont know, my late father was a professional airline captain for years with Braniff. Deviations, weather, thunderstorms, this is just an every day occurance and no biggie at all for professional pilots. It's hars to say, but I am skeptical about the weather really being an issue here. I mean, it's possible but I think it's more remote, per say, then possibly some kind of a mechanical issue. Maybe in this case we do have a rapid depressurization issue or other mechanical of some kind? Hard to say..
I read these were higher level thunderstorms, even for monsoon season. Depressurization sounds too remote right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation