Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 09:27 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,424 times

Advertisements

He was saving his own butt, everyone else was along for the ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 04:34 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
He was saving his own butt, everyone else was along for the ride.

Really? Is THAT what he was doing when he walked to the back of the cabin TWICE to make sure everyone on board got out?

Last edited by burdell; 01-18-2024 at 05:07 AM..

Old 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
“Not every situation can be foreseen or anticipated. There isn’t a checklist for everything.”
― Chesley B. Sullenberger, Sully: My Search for What Really Matters

Old 01-18-2024, 05:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
“Not every situation can be foreseen or anticipated. There isn’t a checklist for everything.”
You note his consistency through many interviews, and his systematic thought processes during crisis.
1) This is bad... but we must do something FAST (low altitude, low airspeed, limited glide path.)
2) I don't want to be responsible for cracking up this bird (I'm responsible for her, and it would look bad on my resume, work history, and future jobs)
3) Our actions must be actionable and save lives (on the ground, AND onboard)
4) Get busy and implement a solution
5) This won't be pretty, but must be done (NOW).

Not once have I discerned, Yikes... Poor ME.

Lifetime career of training and responsibility.
Now perform as trained and able.

Not any different than many AF and Naval AC pilots I know.

Note; Captain Tammie Jo Shults, WN (SWA) 1380
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-s...ped-180973595/
We could only “treat the symptoms” for a while, keeping control of the aircraft our priority.

Did any of the skills you developed as a military pilot help you that day?

Yes. All of them. We only learn to fly once, and my background is Navy. My experience there emphasized hand-flying, airmanship, maintaining control of the aircraft, and “head work,” as the Navy calls it: common sense and keeping a healthy sense of priorities.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-18-2024 at 05:15 PM..

Old 01-18-2024, 05:38 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Not only did he execute the nearly impossible landing perfectly, he walked to the back of the cabin TWICE to make sure everyone got out. This flight will be part of aviation lore for many, many years to come.

And to add to the list of special pilots, including Sully, and aviators, Prince Harry is being honored as a "Living Legends of Aviation".

"This will see Prince Harry join the ranks of legendary astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, who are among the past recipients. Inductees of Living Legends of Aviation are chosen for their significant contributions to aviation and aerospace."

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/p...ds-of-aviation

Old 01-18-2024, 06:21 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really? Is THAT what he was doing when he walked to the back of the cabin TWICE to make sure everyone on board got out?
While he was trying to land the plane, his main concern was saving his butt, if he lived, then the others would. After he landed, he was doing his job by making sure his passengers were off the plane. but until it came to a stop, they were not on his mind, he was just trying to live thru it.
If you are not a pilot, you have no idea what goes on during a forced landing.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:36 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Before manned flight came about, that mindset was cherished among another group of professionals: Seamen. That's pretty much what seamanship is, right there: The acknowledgement that eventually, something unexpected happens and you either have the tools & knowledge to do something constructive - or you'll most likely die.

Old 01-19-2024, 04:58 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Before manned flight came about, that mindset was cherished among another group of professionals: Seamen. That's pretty much what seamanship is, right there: The acknowledgement that eventually, something unexpected happens and you either have the tools & knowledge to do something constructive - or you'll most likely die.

quoting from the interwebs:

"The captain goes down with the ship" is a maritime tradition that a sea captain holds the ultimate responsibility for both the ship and everyone embarked on it, and in an emergency they will devote their time to save those on board or die trying.

Old 01-19-2024, 05:21 PM

206 posts, read 134,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
quoting from the interwebs:

"The captain goes down with the ship" is a maritime tradition that a sea captain holds the ultimate responsibility for both the ship and everyone embarked on it, and in an emergency they will devote their time to save those on board or die trying.
maybe...
Captain Francesco Schettino was asked why he abandoned the sinking Costa Concordia cruise ship in 2012 while the ship’s passengers were either dying or trying to escape,

Thirty-two passengers and crew died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Schettino

Old 01-20-2024, 05:32 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
maybe...
Captain Francesco Schettino was asked why he abandoned the sinking Costa Concordia cruise ship in 2012 while the ship’s passengers were either dying or trying to escape,

Thirty-two passengers and crew died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Schettino
Well, yea, he was an exception. That WAS a head scratcher, but I think he was a drinker, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation