Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM

4,026 posts, read 1,882,749 times

Advertisements

Air travel largely has become sort of "mass transit" with all that entails.

Well...yeah. Kinda the point. What is the idea of having an efficient means of traveling great distances if only a small percentage of people can afford to use it?

I think folks (honestly, like me) who remember the "good old day" - do indeed find flying annoying for all kinds of reasons (pajamas and bare feet, anyone?) - but if you're the half of the US population that grew up unable to travel because "that's for rich people" - then this a great time to be alive.

Re: baggage comments - bags are free on SouthWest - people still pack the overhead / do not check bags. Re: Seat size - shrinking in width has been debunked many places, gets the airlines nothing in return. Shrinking pitch - front to back - a real thing - but average over the last 30 to 40 years on mainstream airlines is 1 to 2 inches. Sorry. It seems much worse because people are bigger. They are. No point in debating it.

I just flew SW and AA - both "in the back" - and I'm not too small - I had zero problems*, even with the seat in front of me fully tilted. Many of you just have unrealistic expectations. If you want a living room sensation on board - spring for first class. Otherwise, accept it's a bus, nothing more, nothing less. You can decide for yourself of riding the (air)bus is a value or not.

I had a problem on one leg of the journey - as my "seatmate" was every bit of 300 wide pounds. And tall. And in the center seat. Kinda overflowing the arm rests. No seat since the advent of coach class has ever been big enough to accommodate that person AND a seatmate. This is why I think folks think the seats are too small - but your rage is misguided. The passengers are too big. I just flew in first class last week - and PLENTY of people barely squished into those seats. How big do you think the airline should go? Real answer please. How big?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 04:46 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,282,801 times
For all new commercial aircraft, establish a minimum seat width of 18 inches and a minimum seat pitch of 33 inches. Existing planes grandfathered unless they go in for a cabin refurbishment. There you go.

Old 04-23-2024, 01:03 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,833,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
For all new commercial aircraft, establish a minimum seat width of 18 inches and a minimum seat pitch of 33 inches. Existing planes grandfathered unless they go in for a cabin refurbishment. There you go.
I’m in favor of that.

Old 04-23-2024, 02:31 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,673,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post

Agree. I'm generally not for lots of regulation but if every airline is in a race for the bottom (mostly because of fighting for customers bent on the lowest price) it seems reasonable for the FAA to step in and define what the bottom is. Then, you get somewhat of a level playing field.

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,316,052 times
For those who state deregulation brought prices down I seen a chart air fares had been dropping year to year since the 1960s and the year to year drops it was actually steeper than the years following 1978. What’s up with that?

Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

15,461 posts, read 7,516,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
For those who state deregulation brought prices down I seen a chart air fares had been dropping year to year since the 1960s and the year to year drops it was actually steeper than the years following 1978. What’s up with that?
Inflation adjusted airfares are down nearly 50% since deregulation https://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/...egulation.html

There were many rules under regulation. All fares were the same for the same route, the reservation systems were not accessible to customers, airlines were forced to serve certain cities whether the routes were profitable or not, etc.

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,316,052 times
https://www.md-a.co/p/deregulation-and-airfares

Interesting, though I am guessing the difference is that one wouldn’t get dirt cheap cross country airfares between major cities however routes between smaller less traveled destinations would be cheaper. Nowadays it can be more expensive to fly between Fresno and LA than LA to Boston.

Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM

19,827 posts, read 9,387,493 times
I am now 'forced' to fly first class because of my husband's long legs, and I hate it (flying). It was much more luxurious flying coach 45 years ago than it is now flying first class, imo -- and you pay almost an obscene amount for the "privilege". Also, the airline personnel (stewards, baggage helpers and travel desk workers) were, generally speaking, much better in EVERY way back then (but, then, I think the passengers were, overall, much more polite and pleasant back then, too!) Also, passengers weren't treated like potential terrorist scum 45 years ago, either!

Last edited by katharsis; Yesterday at 06:46 PM..

Old Today, 06:28 AM

31,931 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Airfares likely dropped in 1979 as immediate reaction to deregulation as airlines got their footing.

Fares rose substantially in 1980 and 1981 likely as result of 1979 through much of 1980's economic jolt (recession) that hit USA. This would have included effects of late 1970's energy crisis that drove up fuel prices which of course airlines would have to charge higher fares to recoup.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.co...are-inflation/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_1980s_recession

https://simpleflying.com/50-years-ai...tic%20airlines.

List of 1978 CAB Scheduled Air Carriers. Wow how many have we lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_...duled_carriers

From a Quora post:

"One-way fares in May 1965:

NY-London $375 first class, $255 coach during peak season, $210 coach for most of the year.

NY-Buenos Aires $442 first $340 coach.

US West Coast to Tokyo $700 first $435 coach.

The above are the standard IATA fares, on the big airlines. Here and there slightly cheaper flights existed, and you could save on round trip.

Add 5% federal tax to all the domestic fares below:

NY to LA/SF $160.90 first $145.10 coach

NY to Chicago $52.30 first $43.70 coach

NY to Washington $17.14 Eastern Air-Shuttle

San Francisco to Los Angeles $28.45 first, $13.50 to $23.70 coach"

https://www.quora.com/What-were-some...s-in-the-1960s

Old Today, 01:40 PM

13,005 posts, read 9,535,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am now 'forced' to fly first class because of my husband's long legs, and I hate it (flying). It was much more luxurious flying coach 45 years ago than it is now flying first class, imo -- and you pay almost an obscene amount for the "privilege". Also, the airline personnel (stewards, baggage helpers and travel desk workers) were, generally speaking, much better in EVERY way back then (but, then, I think the passengers were, overall, much more polite and pleasant back then, too!) Also, passengers weren't treated like potential terrorist scum 45 years ago, either!
Well - you could always sit in coach and let him fly first class. Think of the money you'd save.

I've not flown in something over 15 years, and it wasn't bad then. I don't have any travel plans now that involve flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation