Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times

Advertisements

Comments inserted

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm The Supporter View Post
I've been making plans for building my own blimp.

Care to share what you have done so far ? You can DM me if you like

I need it up and running by this summer.

If you only have started to make plans, and thus nothing concrete yet, not enough time to finish it !!

Anyone know what the exact certification/licensing and all of that I will need are?

Yes I do, but I will only help if you're dang serious and know what the heck you are getting yourself into.

It will be simple and a small version of the dirigible. My plans have come out to making it 1/6 the size of a full size dirigible. Any thoughts, links, and help for me?

If your initial ideas will work, all depends on what you want to do with it *in the end*.

Oh, and I want to be able to travel the world with it.

Uhmmmmm ..... You mean like, you in it, and travel ?
OK, first things first.
In your next message/answer, explain what a *sectional* is.

Then I will go on, and entertain your ideas.
To other posters:
How about helping this guy out huh ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,589 times
There was some older guy - a priest if I recall correctly - who attempted to fly a long distance in a chair suspended beneath a bunch of ordinary weather balloons. Last I heard he had never been found although evidence of his demise was apparent from the debris found at sea when he apparently drifted off his intended course. This was about a year or two ago.

Then there was Icarus...

Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 PM

152 posts, read 303,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
You don't like my idea, quit reading my thread here. I'm still working out everything. Do not try to be high and mighty with me on who's smarter. Otherwise I won't be a nice person as far as you are concerned. Don't you dare try to discourage me from doing this. I will do this one way or another. Moderator cut: deleted - rude

Last edited by june 7th; 04-14-2010 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,634 times
Good luck, Supporter. I give you props for chasing a dream while you are young and trying to do some research to make it happen. Maybe you will succeed, maybe not, but go for it. Just stay safe.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Aw, c'mon, let the guy have his dream, whether he can actually do it or not. He'll find out if he studies on it enough and talks to the right people (not the Wright people). Do you know him well enough to know about the dragons, vampires, etc.?
Lol! Nice play on words. Thank you for your support. I have mentioned a lot of things on here about myself and if this idiot has read what I have posted I bet he does know it. Personally I don't care who thinks I can do this or not. I'm not looking for opinions about myself from others now. I have been bothered by too many people when I wanted that. As of now I'm looking for someone who is more knowledgeable on this subject. All who try to be smarter than me on this are not worth my time.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Good luck, Supporter. I give you props for chasing a dream while you are young and trying to do some research to make it happen. Maybe you will succeed, maybe not, but go for it. Just stay safe.
Thank you. I will do my best.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Comments inserted

To other posters:
How about helping this guy out huh ????
Gee, thanks. I really am serious about all of this. I want to build this and I am trying to get everything done with all of the planning. I have always wanted to fly, and building this would make me have a feeling of accomplishment. Actually getting it to where it flies is what will make me happiest. A sectional is a partial drawing of something. Like if you took a ball, or in this case, a blimp, and cut out a fourth of the object to show not just the outside but the inside as well. I remembered that term from my tech classes.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:31 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,589 times
Here you go!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:59 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm The Supporter View Post
A sectional is a partial drawing of something. Like if you took a ball, or in this case, a blimp, and cut out a fourth of the object to show not just the outside but the inside as well. I remembered that term from my tech classes.
Not quite in your case.
As a matter fact, what you *thought* I meant, what YOU were thinking of, is called a *Cross Section*, and that particular entity is rarely referred to as *A Sectional*.

I was actually referring to what you would like to do (to fly where ever you like to go), once you get some more know-how on how to achieve your dream.
I only gave you one word to *look up*, but in connection of your dream, the word *sectional* also refers to a *chart or map*, especially when it comes to flying anything.

I mention *look up* because, just *thinking* that you know what something means is NO guarantee that you precisely know what anything means. So always *look up* things. Strangely you will start saying thigs like : *Geesj, I did not know that*

Just like learning anything, it takes a very long time to understand something, in such a way that you then know *WHY* things work the way they do.
Akin to learning how to drive a car *Correctly*, you need to study the laws as written by your DMV. You may not agree, but if and when you take the time, to learn from the Bottom Up, you will achieve your dreams, and you will will be a better whatever in the end.

In your quest to fly, you need to understand what makes things fly, and then how to behave (uhmm... what do I do now?) when you do fly. The latter part needs a thorough knowledge of knowing what you are looking at when you do use a *sectional chart*.

I suggest that, in order to achieve your dream of flying a LTA aircraft, you must do some studying about how planes fly and what you need to know in order to become a pilot.

Start with gong to the library and get your hands on anything related to flying. At the same time, begin with building a model of some simple aircraft, that will then teach you to start building things *at home*.

After some years, and with the sufficient funds, you may have accumulated, you can then become a pilot who now knows what to do to fly an aircraft.

Last but not least, IF you are serious, you will take my suggestions and drown yourself in all the info that is available in libraries, and *on the net*. I am NOT going to hold your hand and do it all for you. You will succeed, if you work hard, and study long. Keep in mind that Google Search is your best partner today.

What you may learn, is that your dream can be achieved. With that I mean, you can learn how to fly, and how to *travel* all over the world *flying*. But you may also learn, that doing it in a *blimp* , is NOT the way to do it.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
A key concept for lighter than air devices is the weight of the structure is more closely related to the square of any linear dimension and the lifting capacity is proportional to the cube of the length or diameter. Usually area is proportional to the square and weight to the cube. Balloons are empty and the weight is in the skin and lifting force is in the volume.

I seriously suggest starting with Hot Air Balloons because they are almost everywhere. Please note just how BIG these things are. If they could be smaller they would be.

FWIW – You can make a model device with a very light plastic bag and a few candles. Use your imagination. Have a fire extinguisher handy during the test flights of the model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation