Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 PM

152 posts, read 303,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
Ever hear of Darwin?
Yes, but personally I don't believe it actually applies here. I may be the only idiot who is willing to try it and I may end up crashing. But I am wanting expert advice and tips to help. I am still planning it out. It is going to work. This may sound crazy but I have faith that I will accomplish atleast one flight. I'm not a teller of the future but I am faithful that it will make a flight and if I can get more out of it then that works. This is only the first model. I plan on going bigger when I find out how to make it the first time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm The Supporter View Post
This is only the first model. I plan on going bigger when I find out how to make it the first time around.
You're going *by the numbers* or *trial and error* ??

If you are still thinking of flying in a blimp, *How much open space do you have available to you ?*

Try this first ..
1 - Get a very light weight lawn chair.
2 - Get two large bottles of helium (check with a welding supplier)
3 - Get one gross of balloons. (look up how many that is ...)
4 - Get a pellet gun, and have about 150 pellets handy.

Now sit in the chair.
Start filling balloons with helium, until they are about 12 inches in diameter,
and tie them one by one on your lawn chair.
When you *start* to get some lift, you will have some idea on how much volume of helium you may need to get at least a couple of inches of the ground.

If nothing happens, get some more balloons .....
and some more helium ...
This will keep you busy for a while

Oh, ..... before I forget ...
Tie the chair to your car or something solid ...
(for Justin Case ....)

Last but not least .. I am a very busy person, so I have not much time to waste ...yours or mine ....
I will give you four (4) days to come up with an answer !!!

One more thing, I like to know.
What state are you in ?
By that I mean geographically, not mentally .. ?

Last edited by irman; 03-16-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
you're going *by the numbers* or *trial and error* ??

If you are still thinking of flying in a blimp, *how much open space do you have available to you ?*

try this first ..
1 - get a very light weight lawn chair.
2 - get two large bottles of helium (check with a welding supplier)
3 - get one gross of balloons. (look up how many that is ...)
4 - get a pellet gun, and have about 150 pellets handy.

Now sit in the chair.
Start filling balloons with helium, until they are about 12 inches in diameter,
and tie them one by one on your lawn chair.
When you *start* to get some lift, you will have some idea on how much volume of helium you may need to get at least a couple of inches of the ground.

If nothing happens, get some more balloons .....
And some more helium ...
This will keep you busy for a while

oh, ..... Before i forget ...
Tie the chair to your car or something solid ...
(for justin case ....)

last but not least .. I am a very busy person, so i have not much time to waste ...yours or mine ....
I will give you four (4) days to come up with an answer !!!

One more thing, i like to know.
What state are you in ?
By that i mean geographically, not mentally .. ?
no!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
no!
YES, yes, and yes ....
How else would you find out how much helium you will need to get some *lift* to get you off the ground.

You seem not to be willing to find out, the why's and how's, so the only thing I can do is have you do it by trial and error.

So if you are still serious, you do what I suggest.
You are wasting my time.
You have 3.5 days left to do anything about it !!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 PM

@ Dr. F.

Stay with me Doc .....

Geesj, this is becoming like an *on line* instructional .
I am surprised the moderator has not cut us off yet .....
You think I can deduct this ????

Old 03-17-2010, 05:48 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,269 times
I hate to knock this guy because that is what people have done to the greatest thinkers in history. With that said, I think this guy is a looney tune. He wants to fly around the world in his own homemade airship but does not want to learn or pay anything. I think video games may be a better option.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I hate to knock this guy because that is what people have done to the greatest thinkers in history. With that said, I think this guy is a looney tune. He wants to fly around the world in his own homemade airship but does not want to learn or pay anything. I think video games may be a better option.
Well I don't expect any of this stuff to fall out of the sky ready for me to build. And I am not going to tie weather balloons to a lawn chair and hope to go up with a pellet gun. It didn't work on Mythbusters. So people, stop suggesting that crap. It will be hot air.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:48 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
There should be a section on this site called "The Short Bus", where topics like this can be given the study, commitment and dedication they truly deserve.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
There should be a section on this site called "The Short Bus", where topics like this can be given the study, commitment and dedication they truly deserve.
Well I am trying to do all of the studying. I have the commitment and dedication. All who want to disrespect my want for research and things like advice can stay off of this thread. I know there are those who wish to help but I am not going to listen to those who disrespect me and what I plan on achieving. I have already come across a few who want nothing more to put me down. I will verbally attack them if they do that to me. I am very short tempered when it comes to that stuff. I plan on doing this. I accept no downers.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Well I am trying to do all of the studying. I have the commitment and dedication. All who want to disrespect my want for research and things like advice can stay off of this thread. I know there are those who wish to help but I am not going to listen to those who disrespect me and what I plan on achieving. I have already come across a few who want nothing more to put me down. I will verbally attack them if they do that to me. I am very short tempered when it comes to that stuff. I plan on doing this. I accept no downers.
Wonderful. Your attitude will be tempered by your ignorance.

You might yet discover that gravity affects every pilot the same.

The consequences are all yours to enjoy ... although they can also be catastrophically final.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation