Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Irish View Post
Did anyone else have a Mother who said she had to go downtown on St. Patricks day to get her butt painted green? :-) No, seriously!
OMG, I just thought of that today (day before St Patrick) and asked if anyone in my office remembered. I probably got the same look you get :-) Grew up in the Hamilton Section. Now 61 years old. Yes I'm IRISH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 AM

342 posts, read 1,554,176 times
Belmont 5 0-6-0-0.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,768 times
I was surfing for info about Epsteins when I ran across this. I was sitting here all alone and after reading for a few minutes I was laughing out loud, but after a little longer I was crying, I think mostly for my youth that is long past. When I have my husband's family in for lunch next month I'm going to print this so we can all read it together. They were all born in Ellicott City and lived here their whole lives. I was a newcomer in 1959, but loved Baltimore from day one. I wonder how far down the list our family will get before I will need to feed them dinner, too? This will trigger memories that we all will want to talk about. Thank you for what has been and will be a lovely time remembering days gone by. Beth

Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
What a great post! "This is six-oh ray-de-oh, dubya see aaay oh!"
"You're listening to Baltimore's most-listened to radio station, never more than 60 seconds away from music."

That was the chant of their DJs in the late 1950s.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:08 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,254,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavendarbluelady View Post
Does anyone remember what Cancun Cantina used to be called in the 60's?
The earliest name I remember for it was the Sierra Club. It then became Mr. Pipp's, then Johnny Walker's, then I believe it had one other name before becoming Cancun Cantina.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edndiana View Post
OMG, I just thought of that today (day before St Patrick) and asked if anyone in my office remembered. I probably got the same look you get :-) Grew up in the Hamilton Section. Now 61 years old. Yes I'm IRISH!
My father and his brothers joked about going to the city hall every year on St. Patrick's day.
That was in the 40s and I've continued the tradition with my children. I think Baltimore is the only city that jokes about getting your ass painted green on St Patrick's day. At least I never hear of it outside of Baltimore.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:05 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,168 times
I always enjoy seeing this thread pop up, and always wonder...
So what happened?
Was it all white flight?
The collapse of heavy industry (and its jobs)?
The influence of unions (pro and con)?
A majority poor black population surge?
Crime and drugs?
Many of these same things happened elsewhere, yet the cities didn't experience total collapse.
Why here?
I don't think it could just be corrupt politicians, that's been part of our town's history since well before Baltimore's decline.

I know that the past always looks rosy through the veil of years, but after 23 years in Baltimore, I know I won't have these sorts of fond memories. Except perhaps, "Call Mr. Ray's naow, for the best hair weave at the lowest prices in taown!"

Old 11-17-2016, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,419 times
Default Tower's Ping Pong Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantegna View Post
Does anyone remember the Department store ( Towers) on Wise Avenue in Dundalk, MD - especially when they had a contest where a helicopter dropped ping pong balls to the waiting crowds in the parking lot? The prizes were noted on the ping pong balls. ??? I would really like to find information on this event from the mid 60's
Thanks,
Joe
As a teenager, I was there with my brother and some friends. It was the funniest event; balls were bouncing all over the Tower's parking lot. People in a frenzy to grab as many ping pongs as possible. I think there were numbers on each ball and you had to listen to the local AM radio station to claim your prize....I don't remember exactly what year that was, but it had to be in the early/mid 60s....

Funny thing, across the street on Lynch Rd or Trappe Rd ? several nuns (when they wore full black 'habits/robes/white bib) from OLH school came out to look at the spectacle and then the helicopter dropped some balls on them! It was so funny! Some people actually injured themselves as they scraped knees, arms, elbows, scrambling for the bouncing balls! We talked about that crazy promotion for years - laughing hard each time we recalled the event!

jc

Last edited by JRAC999; 11-17-2016 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: omission of words

Old 11-18-2016, 06:31 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,254,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAC999 View Post
As a teenager, I was there with my brother and some friends. It was the funniest event; balls were bouncing all over the Tower's parking lot. People in a frenzy to grab as many ping pongs as possible. I think there were numbers on each ball and you had to listen to the local AM radio station to claim your prize....I don't remember exactly what year that was, but it had to be in the early/mid 60s....

Funny thing, across the street on Lynch Rd or Trappe Rd ? several nuns (when they wore full black 'habits/robes/white bib) from OLH school came out to look at the spectacle and then the helicopter dropped some balls on them! It was so funny! Some people actually injured themselves as they scraped knees, arms, elbows, scrambling for the bouncing balls! We talked about that crazy promotion for years - laughing hard each time we recalled the event!

jc

Good thing it wasn't turkeys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

Old 11-22-2016, 05:44 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,263 times
That's the problem with Baltimoreans, they look to the past way too much instead of the looking toward the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore