Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2019, 09:51 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

Martin Perez signed a one-year deal with Boston. This is a good acquisition by the Red Sox, and he'll just slide in where Rick Porcello used to be. He'll give them a lot of innings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 08:05 PM

834 posts, read 528,202 times
They're replaying the 2008 ALCS game 7 right now, Boston @ Tampa Bay. I was at the game and didn't realize that Coco Crisp pretty much cost them the game in the 8th...

Red Sox down 3-1 with 1 out, men on 1st and 2nd. Slow grounder hit directly to 2nd baseman, no time for double play, should throw to 1st but he goes to 2nd. Crisp beats the throw by a mile but slides feet first a full body length past the bag trying to take out the shortstop. He even had time to touch the base with his hands on the back end but was to pre-occupied with hurting the shortstop.

Instead of bases loaded with 1 out, the Sox had men on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs. Next batter walked by the way. I'm guessing the Sox could have used an extra out and runner?

Note that Crisp cost his team the same way earlier in the year at Fenway which prompted the brawl with James Shields. That game was considered the turning point in the Rays otherwise losing franchise. Way to go Coco!

Old 09-15-2020, 06:59 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Wow. Last place. 17-31. Who would have thought?

Old 10-01-2020, 06:56 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Wow. Last place. 17-31. Who would have thought?
2nd string manager
give away all the high price players

What did you expect?

Old 10-09-2021, 07:57 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Go Red Sox! Go Giants! If by some fluke they end up in the World Series, I'm toast

Old 10-10-2021, 09:44 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Thanks for bumping a thread I was not aware of. As a Red Sox fan since the late 60's I'm very proud of my team and how they are still playing in a season with low expectations. They are in a good place going home with momentum and their best pitcher throwing today. But all that can easily change before the sun sets on Fenway. This is not a World Series team so I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:09 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks for bumping a thread I was not aware of. As a Red Sox fan since the late 60's I'm very proud of my team and how they are still playing in a season with low expectations. They are in a good place going home with momentum and their best pitcher throwing today. But all that can easily change before the sun sets on Fenway. This is not a World Series team so I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts.
Same here. Plus I know my Dad, wherever he is, is cheering them on!

Old 10-12-2021, 02:41 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The offense is good enough to get to the World Series. If they’re not policing using substances to get better grip on the ball during the playoffs, they might have enough pitching to win four more games. Recall that the pitching was unexpectedly strong until late-June when the league started enforcing the rule. It would be ironic to beat Houston to get to the World Series via the miracle of Spider Tack. Not that anyone would accuse an Alex Cora team of cheating. LOL

I was at Fenway for the last regular season game in 1967 when the Sox completed their Impossible Dream year. Back then, Fenway had the field chalked for Patriots games in September. I cut the cord a couple of years ago. I’ve only watched parts of three Sox games all season. I watch almost all the Liverpool matches so John Henry still has my eyeballs. I just can’t take the endless commercials of MLB games after living in the commercial-free streaming world. I continue to look at box scores and read game recaps every day but I have no emotional investment in the 2021 Red Sox.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:19 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The offense is good enough to get to the World Series. If they’re not policing using substances to get better grip on the ball during the playoffs, they might have enough pitching to win four more games. Recall that the pitching was unexpectedly strong until late-June when the league started enforcing the rule. It would be ironic to beat Houston to get to the World Series via the miracle of Spider Tack. Not that anyone would accuse an Alex Cora team of cheating. LOL

I was at Fenway for the last regular season game in 1967 when the Sox completed their Impossible Dream year. Back then, Fenway had the field chalked for Patriots games in September. I cut the cord a couple of years ago. I’ve only watched parts of three Sox games all season. I watch almost all the Liverpool matches so John Henry still has my eyeballs. I just can’t take the endless commercials of MLB games after living in the commercial-free streaming world. I continue to look at box scores and read game recaps every day but I have no emotional investment in the 2021 Red Sox.
You were at Fenway when the completed the Impossible Dream? That's pretty cool, I was only 8 and just learning of the game. I was born in Boston but grew up in Washington. At the time the Senators sucked, soon they left, so I jumped on the Red Sox after seeing 1967.

I solved the commercial problem with DVR. I pretty much watch everything on DVR delay, I have learned it's easy to stay off the phone and remain in the cone of silence for a few hours. Now I'm retired and drive Uber in the evenings. I subscribed to the MLB Network so I could get every Red Sox game all summer here in Maryland I would come home, watch the game in about an hour and a half with FF and have really enjoyed the ride. The last time I subscribed to the MLB Network was in 2018. Hmmmm........

Old 10-12-2021, 11:29 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
I wore my SOX 2013 World Series tshirt for 2 days cuz they won on the first night! Yay, it worked!

Yesterday was the 17th anniversary of my Dad's death and one of the last things we said to each other was "Dad, IDK if I will live long enough to see them win a World Series" and he replied "Yes you will." That was October 11, 2004. Dad died that night so I actually didn't know the Soxies had won until IDKwhen. I think it was at least a year. Them winning last night was a happy/sad time.

GO RED SOX.......GOOD LUCK AT GOING ALL THE WAY AGAIN!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball