Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 01:47 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Dismal week for the Pads
Dismal decade for the Padres. They last had a team finish over .500 in 2010, their most successful season since has been 2014 when they won 77 games. This year they are playing .386 ball, a pace for 62 wins which would be their worst season since 1993.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 07:05 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Default 50-83

Lost 2 of 3 in Colorado against the Rockies and then got swept in LA against the Dodgers. Off day Monday before Seattle comes in for 2 games on Tuesday, before finishing up the week with 4 games against the Rockies beginning on Thursday, the last series against the Rockies this year.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:55 AM

Default 54-85

Swept the 2 games against the Mariners to open the week, and split the 4 games with Colorado, but after winning the opening 2 games, dropped the last 2. Top prospect Luis Urias made his MLB debut prior to the Tuesday game against the Mariners, Brett Kennedy recorded his first MLB win on Friday and in that same game Urias recorded his first MLB home run, and Franmil Reyes had the walkoff in the 13th on Thursday, so the future is here, and once the Chihuahuas season is over (they won their division, so they'll be in the PCL playoffs starting later this week), even more will come up. About the only thing to look forward to in September, well that and playing spoiler to the Dodgers! 2 games in Arizona beginning on Monday, and then following a Wednesday off day (and really, what's with all these Wednesday off days this year?? This is going to be like their 4th or 5th Wednesday off day this year) they'll play 4 in Cincinnati starting on Thursday to end the weekend.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:34 PM

Default 57-88

Split the 6 games this week as they went 1-1 in Arizona and than 2-2 in Cincinnati in what was just a miserable weekend weather wise. Listening to the broadcast I think Jesse & Tony Gwynn Jr were saying that weekend series in Cincinnati had almost 5 and a half hours of rain delays combined the whole weekend. Time to get onto Seattle where they have a roof and back home! Interleague week for the Pads this week (what happened to teams only having 1 interleague series in September?? Royals have 2 interleague series as well) as they head to Seattle for 2 games beginning on Tuesday, and than following a Thursday off day, they'll begin their final* homestand of the 2018 season against the Texas Rangers.
*And yes, the final 3 games of the year are at home, but since they are on the road prior to that I'm not counting that as a home stand since the final 3 games are stand alone games.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:10 PM

Default 60-90

Won the 2 games in Seattle to improve to a perfect 4-0 on the year against the Mariners before coming home and dropping 2 of 3 to the Rangers. SS Javy Guerra recorded his first official hit in the game on Saturday….5 innings later and out of the batters box as his hopper in the 3rd to Rangers SS Elvis Andrus was originally scored an error, but was rightfully changed to a hit in the 8th inning. Luckily, they kept the baseball, so Guerra was able to get that afterwards, and than they won Sunday's game with 5 runs in the 9th trailing 3-2 and had a walkoff grand slam from catching prospect Francisco Mejia, the 6th walkoff grand slam in Padres history. They host the Giants for 3 games beginning on Monday, and following an off day Thursday, will head to Chavez Ravine and try to spoil the Dodgers division championship aspirations for the 6th straight year. I don't know about you, but if given a choice I would much rather have the Rockies win the division than those Dodgers!

Old 09-24-2018, 12:27 PM

Default 62-94

Lost 2 of 3 to the Giants and 2 of 3 to the Dodgers. Last week of the season as they'll play their final 3 road games of the year in San Francisco beginning on Monday, and than the final 3 games at home against the D'Backs starting on Friday after a Thursday off day.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:17 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
This may seem hard to believe, but the Padres are looking to acquire Thor. It's a longshot, but you never know.

https://www.mlb.com/padres/video/pad...3?tid=40172882

Old 11-26-2018, 10:42 PM

I'm not surprised, that rumor has been floating around for a while. While Thor would look nice in a Padres uniform taking the ball on opening I think they should spend for quantity and not quality. They could sign Keuchel for example in free agency to anchor the staff, and than who knows, take a gamble on Felix Hernandez in Seattle and hope the change of leagues and a change of scenery gets him back to even 50% of what he once was?? That certainly won't raid the farm like Thor. If this team was a #1 starter away OR they would be guaranteed to make the playoffs with that move I'd be all for it, but since I don't Thor putting them over the top by himself, they should stick to the minor details, and hold onto the prospects.

Now if they were able to get BOTH deGrom and Thor...….alright Mets, take whatever you want!

Old 03-27-2019, 01:30 PM

Default 2019: 0-0

Well, this season could be fun to watch! They signed Manny Machado in the off season, and yesterday it was announced Fernando Tatis Jr would break camp with the club and be apart of the opening day roster. They lost Freddy Galvis to the Blue Jays, Clayton Richard also to the Blue Jays, Corey Spangenberg to the Brewers and Carolos Asuaje to the Rangers while signing Ian Kinsler, Garrett Richards, relief pitcher Aaron Loup, relief pitcher Sammy Solis and as mentioned Manny Machado.

Best case scenario for the Padres in 2019: Eric Hosmer has a better year than he did last year in his San Diego & NL debut, and they get relative health, especially in the OF. They win enough games to keep the fans excited, but not enough to go all in for a top level ace type pitcher at the deadline, and they finish a strong 3rd in the NL West.

Worst case scenario for 2019: They stay neck and neck with the Dodgers up through the end of July, and GM AJ Preller decides to go all in for an ace #1 starter to try to pass the Dodgers and win the division. They trade away 2 top prospects, and a low level prospect for an average Corey Kluber, but the kids fade down the stretch and they finish 10 games behind the Dodgers, and a couple games out of the Wildcard.

My prediction for 2019: Had they known back in December at the Winter meetings that 2.5 months later they would ultimately sign Machado, I have a feeling they'd be more aggressive in pursuing options for a Kluber, a (Trevor) Bauer, (Noah) Syndergaard, or (Jacob) deGrom, but they didn't know that, and can't break up what you've been doing the last handful of years. Dallas Keuchel is still out on the market, he'd be a pretty good pickup, and as a FA he wouldn't cost a prospect, and would automatically be their second best pitcher, maybe even best pitcher. I think this is a 3rd place finisher in the division, but the foundation for a playoff run is laid.

Opening day is tomorrow: Eric Lauer (6-7, 4.34 in 2018) starts for the Padres against Madison Bumgarner (6-7, 3.26) for the Giants. First pitch scheduled for 4:10 (1:10 in San Diego, but since I'm writing these on the East Coast, I'm using eastern time).

Old 03-27-2019, 02:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Well, this season could be fun to watch! They signed Manny Machado in the off season, and yesterday it was announced Fernando Tatis Jr would break camp with the club and be apart of the opening day roster.
Bringing up Tatis for Opening Day means that the Padres will lose one year of control over his career, he will reach abitration a year earlier, and free agency a year earlier, than he would if they waited until May to activate him on the ML roster.

I wonder if this is in reaction to the noise the MLBPA association has been making about wanting to stop clubs from manipulating player's careers this way. Vlad Jr. faces the same situation in Toronto, I wonder what the Jays will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball