Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times

Advertisements

Rox are on some sort of roller coaster...up one day, down the next.

Lost to the Padres tonight 4-2, are now 33-30 at .526

Rox went 0-15 with runners in scoring position.

Arenado made another stellar play at 3rd with bases loaded.

The heart of the line-up, Cargo, Tulo and Rosario went 1-12, ouch.

Cuddyer was out tonight with sore ribs and Cargo played on a sore knee.

Jeff Francis pitched tonight, lasted only 4 innings and gave up all 4 Padres runs; his record is now 2-4.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:23 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
The Padres have really cleaned up their act since a dismal start. The NL West is going to be hotly contested as the summer goes on. Even the Dodgers are still in the running with so much of the season still ahead. I figured this division would be a two-horse race between L.A. and S.F. with Arizona hovering around .500 and the Rox and Pads swapping shifts in the cellar.

The Dodgers and Rockies have been big surprises. The Dodgers because they are not even coming close to living up to expectations and the Rockies for far exceeding them at this point. It's a bummer to see the Padres come in and win the two games they've won, but we know these are still professional ball players and likely playing with something a little deeper considering their 0-6 start vs the Rox.

This is a 4 game set vs SD and the Rox can still go 2-2 with a win today.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:07 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Today's game was as wild, wacky, wicked and wonderful as any other Rockies win.

In the second inning I got premonitions of disaster. With NO outs, the Rox had runners on second & third; with the aging, slow running Helton on third. Herrera lines out to SHALLOW left field and for some stupid reason Helton tags and tries to score. R U Kidding Me? The throw to the plate reached the Padres catcher while Helton was FIFTEEN feet from home and he was out by a mile. Instead of 2nd & 3rd with one out, it was two out and a man on second, who ended up stranded. Who knows how it may have turned out if Helton had just stayed on the bag.

Juan Nicasio pitched FIVE perfect no-hit innings, but fell apart in the 6th after getting an easy first out. He gave up two runs on 4 straight hits. Nicasio's 3rd out in the top of the 6th was a fly ball to the warning track with bases loaded, almost a disaster, but the inning ended 4-2 Rockies. Then it really went to hell.

Escalona came in to pitch the 7th, promptly giving up 3 runs on two Padres homers, and was yanked after only getting one out, 5-4 Padres.

Belisle came in to pitch the 8th, and gave up two more runs before retiring the side, 7-4 Padres.

Finally, the bottom of the 9th rolls around and I'm figgering this is the end, another blown game. But like a miracle the Rox score 3 to tie it up at 7-7. To make it extra cool, the Rox did this off Padres closer Gregerson who came in to pitch with a 0.91 ERA, which has now jumped to 1.78.

Bottom of the 10th and Helton gets a lead-off walk on 4 pitches; Torrealba struck out by bunting foul; then Herrera singles and we have runners on first and second. Not taking any chances this time, the Rox use D. J. LeMahieu as a pinch runner for Helton. Colvin grounds into a fielder's choice with LeMahieu taking 3rd. Fowler then singles in the winning run, final score 8-7 Rockies.

Wow. These guys are going to give me a heart attack yet.....

After splitting this 4-game series with the Padres, the Rox are now 34-30 at .541 and are just 1.5 games out of first after the SF Giants beat AZ today.

During these four games, the Rox scored 25 runs and the Padres scored 26 runs.

Tomorrow is Monday and off day for the Rox, for a golf tournament.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-09-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Today's game was as wild, wacky, wicked and wonderful as any other Rockies win.

In the second inning I got premonitions of disaster. With NO outs, the Rox had runners on second & third; with the aging, slow running Helton on third. Herrera lines out to SHALLOW left field and for some stupid reason Helton tags and tries to score. R U Kidding Me? The throw to the plate reached the Padres catcher while Helton was FIFTEEN feet from home and he was out by a mile. Instead of 2nd & 3rd with one out, it was two out and a man on second, who ended up stranded. Who knows how it may have turned out if Helton had just stayed on the bag.

Juan Nicasio pitched FIVE perfect no-hit innings, but fell apart in the 6th after getting an easy first out. He gave up two runs on 4 straight hits. Nicasio's 3rd out in the top of the 6th was a fly ball to the warning track with bases loaded, almost a disaster, but the inning ended 4-2 Rockies. Then it really went to hell.

Escalona came in to pitch the 7th, promptly giving up 3 runs on two Padres homers, and was yanked after only getting one out, 5-4 Padres.

Belisle came in to pitch the 8th, and gave up two more runs before retiring the side, 7-4 Padres.

Finally, the bottom of the 9th rolls around and I'm figgering this is the end, another blown game. But like a miracle the Rox score 3 to tie it up at 7-7. To make it extra cool, the Rox did this off Padres closer Gregerson who came in to pitch with a 0.91 ERA, which has now jumped to 1.78.

Bottom of the 10th and Helton gets a lead-off walk on 4 pitches; Torrealba struck out by bunting foul; then Herrera singles and we have runners on first and second. Not taking any chances this time, the Rox use D. J. LeMahieu as a pinch runner for Helton. Colvin grounds into a fielder's choice with LeMahieu taking 3rd. Fowler then singles in the winning run, final score 8-7 Rockies.

Wow. These guys are going to give me a heart attack yet.....
I was there today. Great game. Great walkoff.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Rocks have been playing some dramatic ball lately. Most fun I've had at a Rockies game this year so far.

Dexter was on fire

Old 06-11-2013, 04:30 AM

While the Rockies had the day off, the Padres beat the Braves 7-6. That team has really been a solid ball club since looking awful out of the gate. Not great, but solid. They are one good surge away from making the top of the NL West a little crowded.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:45 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Tulo is the best shortstop in major league baseball. The dude is Clutchy McClutchington

Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 PM

In late March if someone had asked me what I thought the Rox final record would be, I likely would have said 70-92, best case scenario. They are sitting at 35-30 going into tonight's game (with Francis pitching, so...). Halfway to the win total I would have predicted and it's still early June. This is shaping up to be a fun season.

I keep coming back to the fact that the NL West is so contended this year. Every team is still in it, though the Dodgers offense is going to have to start pulling its weight if they want to get their season on track. The Padres have been surprising and the Rockies even more so.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the pitching. It hasn't been perfect, but it has been solid.

It's still hard to follow the team from the East Coast, but tonight it helps they are playing the Nats. Go Rockies! Keep this thing going!

Old 06-12-2013, 05:08 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

It's still hard to follow the team from the East Coast
MLB.TV Premium is a wonderful thing.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
MLB.TV Premium is a wonderful thing.
Yeah, that's not the problem. I could also get the MLB extra innings package from Direct TV. Last fall I got Sunday Ticket for free (told them I was about to cancel) so they are pretty generous with these extra packages. They just want to keep customers in this economy. The reason the team is hard to follow is I have to get up early for work, and even though I tend to stay up late, it makes it hard to keep it up over time when a Rockies game doesn't start until after 10p here. Games usually last until after midnight, so staying up for the whole game then waking up around 5 in the morning...I'm not old, but I'm not 24 anymore!

I commented yesterday about Francis pitching, and realized last night I had been looking at today's game. So we will keep our fingers crossed and hold our breath for tonight. Francis tends to have one bad inning and then is solid the rest of the game. The problem is that one bad inning is usually enough to do him and the team in for the night. Hopefully they are able to avoid that tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball