Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 08:03 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,356,360 times

Advertisements

I feel like I have lost 50 IQ points after reading that article. It is a shame what has happened to CNN. Used to watch them all the time but they became unwatchable with their constant coverage of Donald Trump before and after he was President. They simply just can't move on. I think the Braves moving was a win-win for everyone. Braves got to move closer to the majority of their season ticket holders and got a nice new mixed use stadium with many attractions around it like they always wanted. City of Atlanta has now redeveloped the old Braves site to a mixed use attraction that they always wanted. Who cares what the demographics of the players or fan base is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 08:20 AM

1,150 posts, read 617,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
I feel like I have lost 50 IQ points after reading that article. It is a shame what has happened to CNN. Used to watch them all the time but they became unwatchable with their constant coverage of Donald Trump before and after he was President. They simply just can't move on. I think the Braves moving was a win-win for everyone. Braves got to move closer to the majority of their season ticket holders and got a nice new mixed use stadium with many attractions around it like they always wanted. City of Atlanta has now redeveloped the old Braves site to a mixed use attraction that they always wanted. Who cares what the demographics of the players or fan base is?
Yeah, isn't the point of fielding a winning team to put the best one's available, regardless of race/nationality?

To say I don't like/can't relate to a team because of lack of people who look like me is silly. That would be like me saying I just can't get behind the Harlem Globe Trotters, they're not my people. Pretty absurd way to look at things.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:29 AM

78,523 posts, read 60,718,007 times
CNN has fallen on hard times financially and has reduced itself to a journalistic joke where one of their go-to moves is to stir racial animosity.

In this case, they are using one of the things in this country (sports) that actually brings us all together.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:42 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,855,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
Excellent point, we should just ignore the fact that all the crime is happening in a place that historically has not dealt with such. I guess because it is mostly black folks doing it, we should just pretend like it isn't happening, because you see it as "racially-tinged"? Would it be better if we said that there are all sorts of crime happening in Buckhead, but leave out the description of those who are responsible for such?
No, the point is that almost all your posts are about the same thing. We get that crime is high in Buckhead, but in your other posts (i.e. water boys, or anything remotely political), race, political party, or partisanship is often made the most important factor, even above class or any other relevant factors.

It doesn't seem like your intent is to inform or educate, but rather to actually "stir the pot" or take a jab at a particular group. Now that the regulars have joined in to cosign, I don't think you'll see my point. All I'm saying is that you are accusing this CNN article of doing exactly what you tend to do in this forum. That's all.

Last edited by equinox63; 11-01-2021 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-01-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
No, the point is that almost all your posts are about the same thing. We get that crime is high in Buckhead, but in your other posts (i.e. water boys, or anything remotely political), race or political party is often made the most important factor, even above class or any other relevant factors.

It doesn't seem like your intent is to inform or educate, but rather to actually "stir the pot" or take a jab a particular group. Now that the regulars have joined in to cosign, I don't think you'll see my point. All I'm saying is that you are accusing this CNN article of doing exactly what you tend to do in this forum. That's all.
My point was to illustrate how absurd the article is. But I also find it comical that after all the complaints about the black community feeling abandoned for the Braves to relocate a few miles up the road, that the NAACP guy pretty much said all would be forgiven if the Braves won the series. To me, that's quite an interesting take.

People complaining about the racial makeup of the team is very perplexing to me as well. The point of building a team is to win, not to build a team based on inclusion of races, nationalities etc.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
No, the point is that almost all your posts are about the same thing. We get that crime is high in Buckhead, but in your other posts (i.e. water boys, or anything remotely political), race, political party, or partisanship is often made the most important factor, even above class or any other relevant factors.

It doesn't seem like your intent is to inform or educate, but rather to actually "stir the pot" or take a jab at a particular group. Now that the regulars have joined in to cosign, I don't think you'll see my point. All I'm saying is that you are accusing this CNN article of doing exactly what you tend to do in this forum. That's all.
That just happens to be who is committing the crimes. Those are facts, not racial bias.

If you posted an article talking about how only white priests in the Catholic church have been responsible for molesting thousands of boys, I'd stand right there with you and say lock EVERY SINGLE ONE of Them up and throw away the key.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
My point was to illustrate how absurd the article is. But I also find it comical that after all the complaints about the black community feeling abandoned for the Braves to relocate a few miles up the road, that the NAACP guy pretty much said all would be forgiven if the Braves won the series. To me, that's quite an interesting take.

People complaining about the racial makeup of the team is very perplexing to me as well. The point of building a team is to win, not to build a team based on inclusion of races, nationalities etc.
So these two comments made the entire article absurd to you? The article covered a wide range of things, but this is what you are fixated on. The "NAACP guy" and the people interviewed at the barbershop don't speak for all of Black Atlanta. And CNN isn't the spokesperson for minorities.

Most Black people I know are glad the Braves are gone from Summerhill. But that doesn't negate the valid points and pieces of information in the article. It's just an article giving a take on multiple aspects of the Braves that many people haven't considered. If you don't agree, then fine, that is your right. But you are essentially saying that their opinions are wrong because you don't understand the rationale of these specific individuals.

Quote:
That just happens to be who is committing the crimes. Those are facts, not racial bias.

If you posted an article talking about how only white priests in the Catholic church have been responsible for molesting thousands of boys, I'd stand right there with you and say lock EVERY SINGLE ONE of Them up and throw away the key.
But would you say it's a "White issue" or a "Catholic Church Priest issue"?
See what I'm saying?

Old 11-01-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
So these two comments made the entire article absurd to you? The article covered a wide range of things, but this is what you are fixated on. The "NAACP guy" and the people interviewed at the barbershop don't speak for all of Black Atlanta. And CNN isn't the spokesperson for minorities.

Most Black people I know are glad the Braves are gone from Summerhill. It's just an article giving a take on multiple aspects of the Braves that many people haven't considered. If you don't agree, then fine, that is your right. But you are essentially saying that their opinions are wrong because you don't understand the rationale of these specific individuals.

But would you say it's a "White issue" or a "Catholic Church Priest issue"?
See what I'm saying?
I think the entire article is absurd, especially that CNN is using this to make the WS/Braves a race issue. But yes, I really find it comical about the NAACP guy saying all will be forgiven if the Braves win.

Also, I would 100% say it's a Catholic Church Priest issue and everyone of them doing such was white. Just as I'd say lock them all up, with no possibility of parole. Wrong is wrong, black or white.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I think the entire article is absurd, especially that CNN is using this to make the WS/Braves a race issue. But yes, I really find it comical about the NAACP guy saying all will be forgiven if the Braves win.

Also, I would 100% say it's a Catholic Church Priest issue and everyone of them doing such was white. Just as I'd say lock them all up, with no possibility of parole. Wrong is wrong, black or white.
I think you are reading a little too much into the CNN article.

But when it comes to crime in Buckhead, you have frequently said it's a "Black issue". You are not making the same correlation when you say that pedophiles in the Catholic Church is a "Catholic Church Priest issue".

If a certain segment of the Black population is committing the crime, then you're saying it's an issue to be addressed by "Black people".

But when a certain segment of the White population is committing the crime (using your example), then the issue is to be addressed by the specific group, not all "White people".

Do you see the difference in how you illustrate these issues?

Old 11-01-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I think you are reading a little too much into the CNN article.

But when it comes to crime in Buckhead, you have frequently said it's a "Black issue". You are not making the same correlation when you say that pedophiles in the Catholic Church is a "Catholic Church Priest issue".

If a certain segment of the Black population is committing the crime, then you're saying it's an issue to be addressed by "Black people".

But when a certain segment of the White population is committing the crime (using your example), then the issue is to be addressed by the specific group, not all "White people".

Do you see the difference in how you illustrate these issues?
I'm saying that those who are committing the crimes in Buckhead are black, not all black's are criminals.

All those pedophile priests in the Catholic Church are white, but not all Catholic Priests are pedophiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball