Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 10:31 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Why is it that almost every thread that you start has some element of race/class division? (Yet, CNN is stirring the pot…)

If you know that CNN is unabashedly left and Fox News, etc. is the unabashedly right, then why do you continue to give either outlet any credence?

Do the opinions expressed in this article somehow disrespect White people, conservatives, or Braves fans? Is viewing anything through a racial lens considered “stirring the pot” to you? And if so, aren’t you guilty of doing the same thing with many of your posts on here?

A while back you told me that you have no Black friends/neighbors, yet nearly all the threads you start (either directly or indirectly) relate specifically to Black people. And then you come on here appalled that a left-leaning entertainment news outlet is saying left-leaning stuff. It looks more like the pot calling the kettle black (no pun intended).

Cry me a river indeed...
This.

Very well said, and I totally agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 11:05 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
I'm saying that those who are committing the crimes in Buckhead are black, not all black's are criminals.

All those pedophile priests in the Catholic Church are white, but not all Catholic Priests are pedophiles.
I'm no logician, but if this is an analogy, then shouldn't the last part be "but not all white people are pedophiles"?

Old 11-01-2021, 11:20 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
The writer of article "John Blake" not from Atlanta, but apparently lives in Atlanta area and should know better.

one thing I notice and this is even beyond Braves. Is non southerners try to stereotype the south as just white supremacies, this is not only over generalizing negatively of white southerners but it also negative to Blacks and other minorities cause it's basically saying you don't exist. Which is weird because the South is hub of Black Culture over 57% of the Black pop lives in South alone. In general by census by over 2 decades the South is literally more diverse then the northeast and Midwest. The serotyping effects people perception I remember arguing with Minnesota poster over diversity and rock n roll in the city vs city forums a few years back. They was actuality thinking Minnesota was more diverse and apparently didn't know rock n roll started in the South. It was mind blowing.

Quote:
But when the Rev. Michael Clayton Harris, co-host of the Red & Rev. Sports Show, attended a recent Braves game at Truist Park, he sat in a crowd of overwhelmingly White fans in a predominantly White suburb while a soundtrack of mostly rock and country music played over the sound system.

"When you go to the game, it has a Trump feel to it with the fan base," says Harris, who is a pastor at Acts of Faith Baptist Church in Decatur, a suburb of Atlanta. "It felt weird for the simple fact that I remember when the stands had a lot more Black people, and a lot more were enticed to games because they had more representation
Meanwhile

Georgia swung Blue.
Largely because metro "Atlanta" is very blue
In Which Cobb County went Blue, hell Cobb went blue even 2016.

Cobb is very diverse 48.2% White, 26.1% Black, 14.5% Hispanic, 6.1% Asian, it actually second on the diversity index in the state.

Then if look at those who attend the playoffs it's clearly diverse,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwSULPsKq78

What this is a game in media between the left and right, Kemp who barely won himself in 2018. further hinting the state is purple. sign a controversial voting bill. The MLB remove the All-star, But now the Braves are in the World series then Kemp try to use attention by slandering Adrams, Which still is a controversial bill, Then Trump who not a Georgian who diss Atlanta several times, lost Metro Atlanta and Georgia randomly attends A game. And quite obvious everything from chop and etc is done for attention he trying to draw attention.

This is something I been noticing for a while the Media both left and right tries sometimes to make nothing to something.

On the internet in the current connect world where everyone has a phone and connectivity everything exist. if you want silly you could easily find silly. The media will find a minor outrage then make sensational tittle for clicks which doing so blows the outrage up, with partly misleading the topics. This is not Trump country it's overtly a Metro and county that went Blue he did this because he knows there would be media outlets stupid enough to take the bait.

As far a Chop thing, the consavery is stupid. The difference between Braves with the Redskins/Inidian The Braves have a native American theme while the Redskins/Inidians are weird named directly after race. In otherwords Braves are like the Vikings, and celtics. Vikings are a name after Scandinavia warrior/sailors and celtics refers to the culture of celts. neither teams is called the Whiteskins/Cucasians and make sense why the team names Redskins/Inidians were criticize. Braves is literally just native American theme. So attempt to lump Braves into another group that actually racist names. Most of this again is done by non southerners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAty8FmMvas

Old 11-01-2021, 12:09 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Why is it that almost every thread that you start has some element of race/class division? (Yet, CNN is stirring the pot…)

If you know that CNN is unabashedly left and Fox News, etc. is the unabashedly right, then why do you continue to give either outlet any credence?

Do the opinions expressed in this article somehow disrespect White people, conservatives, or Braves fans? Is viewing anything through a racial lens considered “stirring the pot” to you? And if so, aren’t you guilty of doing the same thing with many of your posts on here?

A while back you told me that you have no Black friends/neighbors, yet nearly all the threads you start (either directly or indirectly) relate specifically to Black people. And then you come on here appalled that a left-leaning entertainment news outlet is saying left-leaning stuff. It looks more like the pot calling the kettle black (no pun intended).

Cry me a river indeed...
CNN is not left leaning CNN slander the living day lights out Sanders when he was up, they had any one they could find to make sure he was too far left painted. CNN would write about minority schools need funding but they are not going to publish articles about progressive taxing to help fund schools because it may go against there corporate interest, basically CNN does what ever for clicks and money. and controversy equal clicks.

I'm someone on the left and Black I overtly disagrees with this article. It's misleading and just seems like Candy for southern haters. It's a negative image of metro Atlanta. And There are issues regarding race like Police brutality that one thing, but this article is basically Braves move to Cobb so it has less black fans which is stupid and false.

As far as OP keep making these threads I notice that too, but its a broader theme by the right no one hype up a small left leaning outrage then the right does. There could be 10 liberal outrage by something when most liberials don't care, cause it's not actual thing, the right would spread it like it's 10 million of left said it. then complain by PC and Cancel culture. So it part of larger pattern. It's not surprising some one on right is doing this. So today you can find as much apparently what liberal should be outrage over on Conservative media before even some left leaning state it.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:47 PM

1,150 posts, read 615,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
CNN is not left leaning CNN slander the living day lights out Sanders when he was up, they had any one they could find to make sure he was too far left painted. CNN would write about minority schools need funding but they are not going to publish articles about progressive taxing to help fund schools because it may go against there corporate interest, basically CNN does what ever for clicks and money. and controversy equal clicks.

I'm someone on the left and Black I overtly disagrees with this article. It's misleading and just seems like Candy for southern haters. It's a negative image of metro Atlanta. And There are issues regarding race like Police brutality that one thing, but this article is basically Braves move to Cobb so it has less black fans which is stupid and false.

As far as OP keep making these threads I notice that too, but its a broader theme by the right no one hype up a small left leaning outrage then the right does. There could be 10 liberal outrage by something when most liberials don't care, cause it's not actual thing, the right would spread it like it's 10 million of left said it. then complain by PC and Cancel culture. So it part of larger pattern. It's not surprising some one on right is doing this. So today you can find as much apparently what liberal should be outrage over on Conservative media before even some left leaning state it.
Agree

I'm not on the "right", I'm independent.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:06 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,707 times
I read the article yesterday and I’m kind of split on it. Firstly, I hate this narrative that the Braves have a redneck fan base. I’m a “African American” but the are a ton of “black” MLB players in the MLB and our best player Acuña is Afro-Latino. Most “black” players are Afro-Latino…..kind of a nonissue.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:14 PM

561 posts, read 339,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The writer of article "John Blake" not from Atlanta, but apparently lives in Atlanta area and should know better.

one thing I notice and this is even beyond Braves. Is non southerners try to stereotype the south as just white supremacies, this is not only over generalizing negatively of white southerners but it also negative to Blacks and other minorities cause it's basically saying you don't exist. Which is weird because the South is hub of Black Culture over 57% of the Black pop lives in South alone. In general by census by over 2 decades the South is literally more diverse then the northeast and Midwest. The serotyping effects people perception I remember arguing with Minnesota poster over diversity and rock n roll in the city vs city forums a few years back. They was actuality thinking Minnesota was more diverse and apparently didn't know rock n roll started in the South. It was mind blowing.

Meanwhile

Georgia swung Blue.
Largely because metro "Atlanta" is very blue
In Which Cobb County went Blue, hell Cobb went blue even 2016.

Cobb is very diverse 48.2% White, 26.1% Black, 14.5% Hispanic, 6.1% Asian, it actually second on the diversity index in the state.

Then if look at those who attend the playoffs it's clearly diverse,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwSULPsKq78

What this is a game in media between the left and right, Kemp who barely won himself in 2018. further hinting the state is purple. sign a controversial voting bill. The MLB remove the All-star, But now the Braves are in the World series then Kemp try to use attention by slandering Adrams, Which still is a controversial bill, Then Trump who not a Georgian who diss Atlanta several times, lost Metro Atlanta and Georgia randomly attends A game. And quite obvious everything from chop and etc is done for attention he trying to draw attention.

This is something I been noticing for a while the Media both left and right tries sometimes to make nothing to something.

On the internet in the current connect world where everyone has a phone and connectivity everything exist. if you want silly you could easily find silly. The media will find a minor outrage then make sensational tittle for clicks which doing so blows the outrage up, with partly misleading the topics. This is not Trump country it's overtly a Metro and county that went Blue he did this because he knows there would be media outlets stupid enough to take the bait.

As far a Chop thing, the consavery is stupid. The difference between Braves with the Redskins/Inidian The Braves have a native American theme while the Redskins/Inidians are weird named directly after race. In otherwords Braves are like the Vikings, and celtics. Vikings are a name after Scandinavia warrior/sailors and celtics refers to the culture of celts. neither teams is called the Whiteskins/Cucasians and make sense why the team names Redskins/Inidians were criticize. Braves is literally just native American theme. So attempt to lump Braves into another group that actually racist names. Most of this again is done by non southerners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAty8FmMvas
Great post chiatldal and I agree with the continued media agenda, or misutilization of the media to divide us to generate the story and controversy when it otherwise does not exist. What use to be the needed 4th estate is now a threat to our very social fabric because of the ease in which a significant portion of the population is manipulated.

That being said, I think the CNN article is timely and generates a good discussion on baseball and the black community. As Born to Roll pointed out, this isn't a Atlanta problem, its a MLB problem. Growing up in the late 70s, 80s and 90s, baseball may not have been on the level of football or basketball in my home and neighborhood, but it was followed and discussed. We knew and followed names like Tony Gwynn, Reggie Jackson, Ricky Henderson, Tim Raines, Ozzie Smith, Darryl Strawberry, Ken Griffey Jr, etc...Past Derek Jeter, my kids couldn't name one MLB player from their youth, and that extends to my high school students also. They don't talk baseball, and even the Braves being in the World Series has generated very little discussion or interest. Thats across the diversity spectrum. Funny things is though, the family and I have enjoyed numerous minor league and MLB games, but have never attended a game of any other professional sport.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:20 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,832,402 times
All the Liberal media have been piling onto the Braves all season long, and especially once they made the post season and started having success. USA Today, CNN, The Huffington Post, ect..

Here's my reponse to the liberal media....

The "trail of tears", which was the most racist act against Native Americans in U.S. history, was conducted by your side. Your team rounded up 60,000 Native Americans, & forced them into camps/reservatons, & stole their land. You should be ashamed. Could that the real reason your side wants to cancel the heritage of the proud Native American Braves?

The Atlanta baseball team honors Native Americans, & their fierce warriors...their Braves.

Chop on!

Last edited by beach43ofus; 11-05-2021 at 03:33 AM..

Old 11-05-2021, 06:57 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,707 times
I really hate this entire narrative that’s being built around the Braves. The Braves have a large fan base; a top ten market, we carry the Southeast, and we have that National base sill out there. Yes, there are “white” conservatives who like the Braves but that’s only part of the Braves fan base. Media outlets definitely going with that “ Braves fans=Trumpers” angle. Not true.

I’m really wondering why some people are pushing for a name change and they aren’t even concerned with more serious Native American issues on a whole (most don’t even like the Braves anyway). This is just people jumping on a claim and running with it because I’ve never seen so many non Native people being so outraged at something that they really don’t care about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball