Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:28 AM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times

Advertisements

Well, here we go. This is what the division looks like as of Sunday, June 1. Eight and one-half games separate first and last place, and the Flubs are really hot right now and riding a six-game winning streak. The Cards are in second, coming off an embarrassing loss to the Pirates. The Astros are in the middle of a four-game skid and will wrap up their series against the Brew Crew. Cincy has just gotten their second win in a row in a series against Atlanta.

I'll be checking back periodically to look at the progress the NL Central is making. In the meantime, here it is, top to bottom for now:

1. Cubs
2. Cards
3. Astros
4. Brewers
5. Reds
6. Pirates

Old 06-02-2008, 03:57 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,600 times
The Cubs are playing well, but let's not forget the quality of teams they're currently facing. Their next series is against the Padres, and the series they just finished was a 4-game stint against the Rockies. San Diego and Colorado are the two worst teams (by record) in the National League, going a combined 43-72 to this point. All four games against the Rockies were close, and I'm pretty sure that three of the Cubs' four wins were come-from-behind victories (including overcoming a 9-1 deficit a few days ago). They played the Dodgers before the Rockies, and while Los Angeles is a decent team (27-29 at this point), they're nothing to write home about.

I'm not trying to say the Cubs aren't deserving of the hype they're getting (they're leading the MLB at the beginning of June for the first time since 1908 - Cubs fans need something to cheer about), but it needs to be put in some perspective. They've played the vast majority of their games at home, they've got a pretty poor record on the road (something like 8-13), and I was somewhat surprised to learn that 9 of their 36 victories have come against the lowly Pirates, who are currently last in the NL Central.

Now, obviously, a Cardinals fan is not going to worship the ground the Cubs walk on, so feel free to take what I've said here with a grain of salt. I won't be surprised if the Cubs win the division this year, but don't count the Redbirds out - they're only 2.5 games behind a streaking Cubs team in a year where they were supposed to be rebuilding completely. In the end, I just love watching baseball.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
The Cards are in second, coming off an embarrassing loss to the Pirates.
It seems to me that LaRussa almost conceded this game from the start. Parisi and Jimenez really could not have performed more poorly. I mean, Jimenez was brought in to clean up Parisi's mess and the first thing he did was surrender a grand slam (which was one of three homers he gave up in total).

I don't think we'll be seeing either one of them again any time soon.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 PM

Default Regarding The Cubs And Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Cubs...
............pretty poor record on the road (something like 8-13), and I was somewhat surprised to learn that 9 of their 36 victories have come against the lowly Pirates, who are currently last in the NL Central.

The Pirates are supposed to have good, young players. The problem is that they haven't been able to put it all together. Sometimes, they'll actually beat some of the better teams, but in the end, they always come up short. As for the Flubs, they won the games they had to win, but we're only entering the second one-third of the season. Let's see how this plays out.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,056 times
Wow a lot of Cubs bashing going on here, I have been away from the sports forum for too long. Cubs - best record in baseball. And they are about to nail down their what, 9th in a row. See ya, rest of the NL Central. The Cards are over-achieving. The Astros will tank as usual. Life is good.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,957,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Wow a lot of Cubs bashing going on here, I have been away from the sports forum for too long. Cubs - best record in baseball. And they are about to nail down their what, 9th in a row. See ya, rest of the NL Central. The Cards are over-achieving. The Astros will tank as usual. Life is good.
yea, i pretty much agree with everything here..............and i'm not a Cubs Fan!!!

Pujols, just got injured with a strained calf muscle, good-bye Cards

Old 06-04-2008, 06:37 AM

295 posts, read 546,662 times
The Cubs will always be the Cubs. The Brew Crew will overtake the Cubs to return the favor from last year. Houston is a flash in the pan, St.Louis is just winning life's lottery by being 3.5 back, Cincy, how's Coco doing sitting on the bench. Pitt maybe next year...

Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
The Cubs will always be the Cubs. The Brew Crew will overtake the Cubs to return the favor from last year.
You may have had one too many before writing this one. I admit they have a pretty good team, but they aren't catching the Cubs.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Wow a lot of Cubs bashing going on here, I have been away from the sports forum for too long.
Not bashing in the least. Just putting things in perspective. The Cubs have had a stretch of easy opponents lately, and they've had the benefit of playing most of their games at home. Those are just the facts. They may very well keep winning against better teams, but we'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
And they are about to nail down their what, 9th in a row.
Against the Padres.

Quote:
See ya, rest of the NL Central. The Cards are over-achieving. The Astros will tank as usual. Life is good.
The Cubs are very good this year, but the irony of a Cubs fan saying that any other team will "tank as usual" is almost too good to be true.

I do like that this very limited taste of success has made you so confident, though. You act as if this is all very familiar...

Old 06-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Cubs - best record in baseball. And they are about to nail down their what, 9th in a row. See ya, rest of the NL Central. The Cards are over-achieving. The Astros will tank as usual. Life is good.
It's not over yet, my friend, so don't get too excited. I'm waiting for the Big Choke in the second half so the Astros can get back in, which they might. So Flub fans, savor these moments while they last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post

Pujols, just got injured with a strained calf muscle, good-bye Cards
Egads! When did this happen?? That's not good news for Cardinal fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball