Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:54 PM

611 posts, read 1,460,746 times

Advertisements

Good grief, no. The guy's a mental midget. I was extremely happy to see him go.

I suppose it's somewhat of a positive that the Cardinals battled back to lose 10-9 (including leading at one point), but the fact that we lost on a walk-off home run was pretty disappointing.

Two Cardinals got their first big league long balls today, which is always pretty cool to see. One of them was Joe Mather (outfield), but the other was Mark Worrell, a career relief pitcher who hit an absolute bomb. It was a three-run shot, and he hit it as if he was a natural.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:55 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 8 days ago)

52,716 posts, read 48,024,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post

I suppose it's somewhat of a positive that the Cardinals battled back to lose 10-9 (including leading at one point), but the fact that we lost on a walk-off home run was pretty disappointing.

Two Cardinals got their first big league long balls today, which is always pretty cool to see. One of them was Joe Mather (outfield), but the other was Mark Worrell, a career relief pitcher who hit an absolute bomb. It was a three-run shot, and he hit it as if he was a natural.

Just want to clarify. Are you talking about Tim Worrell or former Brave Mark Wohlers?? Just checking.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Just want to clarify. Are you talking about Tim Worrell or former Brave Mark Wohlers?? Just checking.
Neither.

The Official Site of The St. Louis Cardinals: Team: Active Roster

Look under "pitchers," and you'll see Mark Worrell.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Neither.

Whoops! Sorry. Just a little behind the times, I guess. I thought you referred to someone from the past.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,293,311 times
Quote:
Well, he owned the Dodgers last night. Zero earned runs in 6-1/3 innings...

Old 06-09-2008, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Neither.

I'll do it, but I believe you.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, he owned the Dodgers last night. Zero earned runs in 6-1/3 innings...
He pitched plenty of good games for the Cardinals, but that was always counterbalanced by the many bad (and sometimes terrible) games he had. I remember a stretch where he lost 10 decisions in a row (although he started more than 10 games in that span), and his 14-16 record and 6.02 ERA in 2006 certainly didn't endear me to him very much. Heck, he didn't even pitch for us during our World Series run. That says a lot.

I guess he's doing okay now (4.54 ERA is right around his career average), and he has the added bonus of being one of the best-hitting pitchers in the game, but I'm still glad he's gone. If he does well, good for him, but I've never second guessed the management's decision to let him go.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:16 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,970,214 times
Quote:
He pitched plenty of good games for the Cardinals, but that was always counterbalanced by the many bad (and sometimes terrible) games he had. I remember a stretch where he lost 10 decisions in a row (although he started more than 10 games in that span), and his 14-16 record and 6.02 ERA in 2006 certainly didn't endear me to him very much. Heck, he didn't even pitch for us during our World Series run. That says a lot.

I guess he's doing okay now (4.54 ERA is right around his career average), and he has the added bonus of being one of the best-hitting pitchers in the game, but I'm still glad he's gone. If he does well, good for him, but I've never second guessed the management's decision to let him go.
are you talking about Jason Marquis? that guy is OK at best, he had a very fluke-y season in 2004 with a 15-7 record and a 3.71 ERA

Old 06-09-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
are you talking about Jason Marquis? that guy is OK at best, he had a very fluke-y season in 2004 with a 15-7 record and a 3.71 ERA
The Cardinals seem to have a knack for getting the most out of their players (lots of players have had unexpectedly great seasons in St. Louis despite their previous reputations), so I wasn't surprised when he pitched well in 2005. Dave Duncan is a fantastic pitching coach, though, so I give him a lot of credit. Look at Todd Wellemeyer as a perfect example - he was the NL pitcher of the month in May, beating out people like Carlos Zambrano for the award.

But yeah, like I said, Marquis has good moments and bad moments. Unfortunately for him, there's more of the bad than the good, and the bad tends to be particularly bad (at least in my experience).

Old 06-10-2008, 05:57 PM

Default NL Central as of June 10

Here's the latest on the NL Central race as of Tuesday, June 10:

1. Cubs
2. Cards
3. Brewers
4. Astros
5. Pirates
6. Reds

It looks like third place is close for the bottom four teams, but the great divide is from second to third (four games right now). Divisional opponents play one another this week in Cincinnati and Houston. Meanwhile, the Flubs are back home to play the Braves at Wrigley, and the Pirates will host the Nats.

There you are for now. Back with more later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.